What's new

Lapping film, try it.

I got some lapping film in a PIF a while ago, 4/8/16/30 equivalent grits. I use them on top of a lapped 8x3" hone, but any flat surface will do.
They may not offer the sexy smooth feel of a big dollar hone, but man they are effective, and the edges off the "30k" film is not that unlike a $350 Shapton 30k edge. Yes really. I have the Shapton 30k.

Quite impressed.

Best "bang for buck" honing solution for sure.

That's what I've been telling folks for years...

I happen to really like the velvety feel the lapping films have for feedback.

Have you tried the wet paper under the finisher trick yet?

Yeah, I did indeed try the wet paper under the finisher today, that may have been what triggered this tread! :smile:A truly superb edge. :smile:

Thorlabs, Amazon and Bestsharpeningstones (link) have them. I have 12, 6, 3, 1, 0.3 micron sheets and have honed over ten razors including setting bevel on the 12µ. The piece of 1 micron is about worn out but the others look good. Sheets can be cut in three or four pieces.

...oops......i guess i should have clarified.........i meant of lapping film........

I dont' have a video but here is a pic of my lapping film/hone.

Yellow is 12 micron (about 1200 grit, used for setting bevels)
Brown is 6 micron (diamond)
Pink is 3 micron
Green is 1 micron
White 0.3 micron

Attachments

• $HoneOnLappingFilm.jpg
    $HoneOnLappingFilm.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 7,543
Nice setup Noah! the Marble tile can be had for minimum cost at any home improvement store. I am gonna have to try this stuff!

Jon

I switched to lapping film after reading some of Seraphim's other posts - works great! Now, what to do with all the rocks I purchased?

Pretty new to straights and really new to honing. Am I correct in understanding that these lapping films basically replace the different grit stones?

So you buy a slab of scrap marble or stone from home improvement store, get the film wet, lay it on the slab and hone on it just like a normal stone?

Pretty new to straights and really new to honing. Am I correct in understanding that these lapping films basically replace the different grit stones?

So you buy a slab of scrap marble or stone from home improvement store, get the film wet, lay it on the slab and hone on it just like a normal stone?

Yes, exactly.

The film doesn't slide around on the marble? What grit would be good for touching up a razor that's been honed recently?

I'm so lazy. I've had a sampler of film at my house that a friend gave me for months that I still haven't gotten around top trying. I really need to get off my but and give it a whirl.

Top Bottom