What's new

Lapping film, try it.

More then likely to much pressure. That was my problem for a while I started lightning up the pressure and the edges smoothed right out.

I'll try again tomorrow with super light pressure and making sure to maintain perfect flatness. Honing has got me more than a little riled. My kitchen knives are silly sharp, razors should be even easier.

Still not getting a usable edge on my Geneva Cutlery. I believe I'm setting the bevel (using Slash's method, aka burr one side then the other) and still cannot get an edge that cuts. It'll scrape just fine :(. I'm kind of left wondering what the root cause is, marble isn't flat enough? Too much pressure?
The Geneva should hone up fast and easy. I've never tried the burr method. I use Lynn Abrams video for honing on Naniwa and just translate it to the lapping film. Use a high enough micron film and do circles or straight back and forth until you can cut arm hair and you should have a bevel. At least that's how it works for me. The marble is flat enough. Use enough water and do your laps.

Not yet, might have to. Although I touched up my whipped dog on the 1 micron, balsa strop, and leather strop. Shaves fine. I'll have to compare the edges, but it leaves me to believe I'm not getting the bevel right or something else in the process.
When I've had problems, I try going back a level and try again and go back another level. In the end I always have to go back to the bevel. If you get that set properly, all else is gravy.

When I've had problems, I try going back a level and try again and go back another level. In the end I always have to go back to the bevel. If you get that set properly, all else is gravy.

This pretty much confirms what I've found, too. I have collected several that needed honing, figuring that if I wrecked something cheap it was no big loss. I kept finding that a couple shaved terrible, but a couple did well enough that I was surprised. I finally bought one of the el cheapo loupes someone here recommended (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MD28HY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to look at them, and the bevels on the ones that do well are pretty uniform and level, while the ones that shave like broken glass aren't consistent at all.

I really think that you "could" just set the bevel and shave, although it might be very uncomfortable. But it seems to me that the wisdom around here about "the bevel is the key" appears to be right out of the gospels. Get the bevel right, and the rest just follows as the night the day.

I'm certainly not saying one couldn't wreck an edge at the finer grades, but if the bevel is set it seems pretty hard to wreck it unless you behave like a gorilla.

Last edited:
The Geneva should hone up fast and easy. I've never tried the burr method. I use Lynn Abrams video for honing on Naniwa and just translate it to the lapping film. Use a high enough micron film and do circles or straight back and forth until you can cut arm hair and you should have a bevel. At least that's how it works for me. The marble is flat enough. Use enough water and do your laps.
Will do. I actually set the bevel on a gold dollar with a 1000k arkansas using decent pressure so maybe im just not using enough pressure with the film setting the bevel.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned in here before, I'm working my way through the thread but I'm only about 300 posts in :D

I'm considering getting an 12 x 12 x 3/8 granite tile from Home Depot cut down into three 3.5x8.5" sections and two 3.5x6" sections for my newly acquired lapping film (shoutout to @Heespharm for the PIF!). This will give me 4 for the grits I just received (5 - 3 - 1 - 0.5) plus 1 for a heavier grit to set bevels. I'd much rather set the films up on the substrate once and leave them alone until the sheets are worn out. Does anyone see an issue with this? Anybody use the same type of setup? Will carefully stacking the plates for storage degrade the film surfaces? These should fit nicely into some cigar boxes that I have.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
That's a fine idea, except for the size. Go for the full 12" length. You will find the longer stroke length easier to get consistent results from.

When stacking, separate them with cardboard, heavy plastic sheeting like a zip loc, etc. Maybe store them on edge.

Sandpaper on stone or glass is good for bevel setting. Use 1000 grit or even coarser if needed. Clean it up with 12u film, then do your progression. Sandpaper wont, stick well with water. A very light spray of spray adhesive works good to hold sandpaper down.

Finally got my substrates set up! Too bad I'm too busy to try them out for another couple of weeks. I've got eight 8x3.25 granite tile sections (thanks Home Depot!) for about $8. I can have multiple grits set up so that I don't have to mess with reapplying the film if I have to go back a step or do a pyramid (if I understand them correctly).

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406864119.338862.jpg

Top Bottom