What's new

Lapping film, try it.

Had a bunch of razors that came in on Thursday so I decided to finish them on lapping film.

DMT, 4K/8K (with slurry) and then 9, 5, 3, 1, .3 lapping film. Went easy at first (10 laps on each). The results were good but they weren't ready. Went back and did 20 more on each film and they came out very nice.

Used a $1.87 piece of marble tile from the lumber yard. Cut it to 3" x 12" (or so) and mounted it on a 2 x 4 with epoxy. Did the wet paper under the film thing for the .3 film. Seemed to work fine. I agree that you have a nice feel when using the film. For the first time using them, I would say I had a success. I'll be interested in seeing how long the film lasts. I did eight razors - only used 1/3 of a sheet of each size and the pieces I used are fine - showing some dark but nothing serious.

They won't replace my basic stones - setting bevels or the initial work takes more horsepower.

If you go to the films from a 8k Norton, than you can skip everything before the 1 micron film. Or skip the Norton 4k/8k entirely if you want to go upwards from 9 micron.

Compare the Spartan simplicity of a lapping film setup to the tabletop full of stones, lapping, pots of water etc. that standard honing may entail.

Nothing wrong with that, they are just very different ways to approach the same goal

Last edited by a moderator:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Compare the Spartan simplicity of a lapping film setup to the tabletop full of stones, lapping, pots of water etc. that standard honing may entail.

Nothing wrong with that, they are just very different ways to approach the same goal

Haha!! He still needs a koma nagura! Amateur!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of sharp things that need to be sharpened, not just razors :) I like lapping film a lot lately, but I woudn't sharpen my knives or planes with it, it wears out too fast for that. For razors, the work needed is so small, that the film really shines there. And just to protect the hone way if someone only sharpens razors, you don't have to buy a table full of hones for it :)

How much is the shipping from Thorlabs? I asked them about a year ago, and they said 30 euro for 2x10 pack of lapping film from München to Hungary...

Did I get a wrong price, or everyone else is OK with these prices? :)

Are they delivering that by train personally??
Munich to Debrecen isn't terribly far.

http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Scary_Sharpening.html

€2 delivery to Ireland, somebody here put the link up the other night.
Sheets are roughly €3 each

...this information is very interesting....

......but to the novice (yes, that is me)......... it would be great if someone could do a quick video of the lapping film being used...

........it would help.........A LOT............

Are they delivering that by train personally??
Munich to Debrecen isn't terribly far.

http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Scary_Sharpening.html

€2 delivery to Ireland, somebody here put the link up the other night.
Sheets are roughly €3 each

Order Sub-Total:€ 23,32
Shipping:(UPS Standard)
€ 35,60
VAT:€ 11,19
Order Grand Total:€ 70,11

This is the price for 2x10 pieces of lapping film, this is a bit strange for me.

...this information is very interesting....

......but to the novice (yes, that is me)......... it would be great if someone could do a quick video of the lapping film being used...

........it would help.........A LOT............

See post 104

So, I tried this stuff out for the first time today. Not really having a clue what I was doing. Took a few that needed touch ups and one the just needed some umph added to it.
The ones that needed more, I started lowest grit. Started with the 5 funny um, then 3, then 1, then .3. Some got all 4, others got 1.

Test shave. One word. Remarkafreakinble. This is truly amazing stuff. If you like a nice smooth shave, this is it.

So, I tried this stuff out for the first time today. Not really having a clue what I was doing. Took a few that needed touch ups and one the just needed some umph added to it.
The ones that needed more, I started lowest grit. Started with the 5 funny um, then 3, then 1, then .3. Some got all 4, others got 1.

Test shave. One word. Remarkafreakinble. This is truly amazing stuff. If you like a nice smooth shave, this is it.

Welcome to the dark side, my friend.

Top Bottom