What's new

Lapping film, try it.

I cannot help you with spots on lapping film- I think they are just called.... spots.

But if we were talking about Ancient Sanskrit Style naturals, the name for that unusual and very desirable discoloration and pattern is called पञ्चचित and is almost never found other than in the rare and exotic vein calledसत्यमेव जयते.

But on lapping film they are just spots and do not cause any unusual mechanical or metallurgical properties.

Brian

Yup.

Black smudgies and such only add character to film. If we come up with some fancy, foreign names for the discolorations they will be seen as desirable.

No no the film doesn't slide it is held by surface tension and suction. The 1um green is great for touch ups but so is the .3 um like a pasted strop.

The film doesn't slide around on the marble? What grit would be good for touching up a razor that's been honed recently?

As as for why would you ever buy stones. It is a lot about preference. I used film for a year and then I got a norton 220/1k for restoration and bevel setting. Then I picked up a KING 1k and Norton 4/8, coticules, and thuringian.

I really like the feel of the synth stones and love the smoothness off the NATS.

+1

Brooksie you really need a bigger and slicker surface. Heavy glass 12" x 3" or bigger. Dont limit your real estate and make sure it is slick enough for a good vaccuum between plate and film. I use a polished marble edge tile. If you want to try film, dont ignore its potential advantages and dont cripple it or you will only be disappointed.

This has probably been answered somewhere... Im about to buy some lapping film and was wondering if 3m and diamond lapping film was the same. and if not which one should i buy? which is better?

3m makes diamond lapping film and aluminum oxide lapping film. Both work. Diamond is a lot more expensive. There is a sticky thread at the top of the honing section "so you want to start honing..." Or something like that--it has links to sources of both types. I believe most of us use the AlOx film--it's available in 9x13 inch sheets or 6 1/2 x 9 inch sheets depending on where you buy.

Here is the link to that thread:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-to-start-honing-Here-s-what-you-need-to-know

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
This has probably been answered somewhere... Im about to buy some lapping film and was wondering if 3m and diamond lapping film was the same. and if not which one should i buy? which is better?

If money is no object, go with diamond film I guess, any brand. But if you are like most of us you will find that while the diamond film does last longer and cut a bit faster, there is not enough difference to make it more cost effective than AlOx or SiOx or other abrasives. Also diamond film is usually sold in smaller pieces. AlOx is usually sold in 9x13 or 8-1/2x11 sheets. Diamond is often in 6x6 sheets and so you can only get a 6" stroke. Part of the advantage of film is a longer, wider honing surface than most stones. Don't give up this advantage by trying to hone on a 6" long surface. So actually unless you can find full sheets of diamond, you really want AlOx. 3M is just a brand, one of many.

A more important decision, actually, is whether to go with PSA back or plain back film. Most of us greatly prefer plain back.

Last order I placed was with www.nanolaptech.com. They have a great variety and excellent prices even in small quantities. www.thorlabs.com is another popular vendor.

nanolaptech doesn't have all the info I'd like up on their site, and no online ordering. Did you call or email and did they answer questions quickly? I want to know sheet sizes and how small an order I can put in. I've only got one straight, but two kids that occasionally manage to get into the area I'd be storing the film in; so I don't want to drop a lot of money on film that isn't likely to last long enough for me to use it. I used to live in the same town they're located in, which makes me want to but from them.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well, ordering was a convoluted process. I emailed, and waited, finally got a reply, emailed again, waited, got asked for my phone number, never got called, emailed again, was asked to call, called, then called back again after another week or so... whole process took about 5 weeks LOL! So cut the red tape and just call right from the start, for quicker ordering. Don't bother emailing. The number is on the web site. I don't think they have a minimum order. I am sure he would be happy to ship as few as 5 sheets each of the grits you need. I think I ordered 10 each of maybe 5 different grits and he had no problem with that. I think he has both 8-1/2x11 and 9x13 sheets in AlOx. Prices are great. I think I paid like 75 cents per sheet, something like that.

nanolaptech doesn't have all the info I'd like up on their site, and no online ordering. Did you call or email and did they answer questions quickly? I want to know sheet sizes and how small an order I can put in. I've only got one straight, but two kids that occasionally manage to get into the area I'd be storing the film in; so I don't want to drop a lot of money on film that isn't likely to last long enough for me to use it. I used to live in the same town they're located in, which makes me want to but from them.

Hi Gary:

Their diamond film which they sold to me came in 6" x 6" sheets which were very convenient to use. The film itself was ok, perhaps not as durable as some. They were willing to sell 1 sheet of each grit at a time.

As Slash said, they are tricky to deal with, and convoluted. I did it by phone, many phone calls actually and paid with Paypal. That was some time ago.

--james

If money is no object, go with diamond film I guess, any brand. But if you are like most of us you will find that while the diamond film does last longer and cut a bit faster, there is not enough difference to make it more cost effective than AlOx or SiOx or other abrasives. Also diamond film is usually sold in smaller pieces. AlOx is usually sold in 9x13 or 8-1/2x11 sheets. Diamond is often in 6x6 sheets and so you can only get a 6" stroke. Part of the advantage of film is a longer, wider honing surface than most stones. Don't give up this advantage by trying to hone on a 6" long surface. So actually unless you can find full sheets of diamond, you really want AlOx. 3M is just a brand, one of many.

A more important decision, actually, is whether to go with PSA back or plain back film. Most of us greatly prefer plain back.

Last order I placed was with www.nanolaptech.com. They have a great variety and excellent prices even in small quantities. www.thorlabs.com is another popular vendor.

If it helps the psa backed film comes off easily with goo gone or the like substance

Great thread--going to try this method as a beginner prior to purchasing stones (honestly will probably get one at some point to just try incomparison). I got a score from a local glass manufacturer of 15"Lx 4"w x 5/8"thick glass (5 pieces so if somebody would like one and want to pay for the shipping I will box it up- just PM me)...the order from ThorLabs came in with the lapping film (love the box of treats they send). Now I just have to wait a month for xmas to see what the better half crosses off my wish list. I have a couple DMT's on their that will complete the process in the thread. Looking forward to trying this out on not only razors but other knives as well.

Thanks for all who contributed.

This thread is incredible.
I am about to order my set of films. What particle sizes would you recommend for a starter set? Sorry if it has been asked before, this thread is over 60 pages long...
Btw, my desk is compromised of a huge half inch thick glass plate, do you think i can just use that as a flat surface?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
This thread is incredible.
I am about to order my set of films. What particle sizes would you recommend for a starter set? Sorry if it has been asked before, this thread is over 60 pages long...
Btw, my desk is compromised of a huge half inch thick glass plate, do you think i can just use that as a flat surface?

No. You can't hold your desk in your hand. You need to be able to hold your plate loosely in your off hand as you hone. You want it to sort of be floating in midair. This lets the razor and film find their own alignment and lets you regulate pressure much more effectively. Trust me on this. You will get better results holding your lapping plate. Now if you cut a 3" wide and 12" long piece from it, yeah, that will work great. Some guys do hone on a fixed surface, such as the excellent polished and calibrated granite lapping plates sold by many woodworking supply companies, but for just starting out, hold your plate in hand. Don't let it even touch any other object except your hand, and the razor while you hone.

What do you have to hone? If you are just needing to do normal edge maintenance on a razor that you received shave-ready, then you really don't need anything but 1u film. You can take it to the next level with .3u if you like but a .3u edge can be harsh (but incredibly sharp!) until you learn how to finesse a gentle edge on that stuff. If an edge is considerably worn, you may have to start with 3u and then 1u. If you need to set a bevel, you will want some coarser grades. Typical setup for full honing is 12u, 5u, 3u, 1u, and optionally .3u. I like to set a bevel on 30u myself. It is way faster than 12u. Some honers set the bevel on a 1k stone and then run a progression of films from there.

Generally the following equivelants between film and stone grit are recognized or assumed, close enough for out purposes.
12u film = a little finer than 1k
5u film = 4k
3u film = 8k
1u film = a bit finer than 12k
.3u film = really really fine, as in not really needed but just kinda cool if you can rock this stuff.

Do it like you feel it. Read the whole thread. Serious. It's all in there, including the questions you don't realize you ought to be wondering about. If you don't have time to read the thread, you probably don't have time to hone.

Top Bottom