What's new

Lapping film, try it.

Interesting... I found a chart by DMT and they claim that 9 micron equates to 1200 grit:

proxy.php

1200 mesh, which may, or may not equate to grit, unless the JIS convertor is utilized, which would have to be cross referenced to imbedded cross section of particle size, etc.

In other words: It really doesn't matter.

I will have to try films... it's all the rage now, so maybe it's a good time to get in :). I have one razor in particular that is giving me trouble, it's bevel is what I have started to call "The Bevel". It's an old Wade and Butcher, and who knows what has been done to it in it's past, but there has been some SERIOUS steel removed! Maybe some 12 micron film would finish whipping it into shape... buy why stop there?

Yes, they do that - kind of cool from a PR perspective, but it's a huge waste of shipping resources. Instead of getting a flat envelope, you get a BFB because of the snack box in there. The trail mix is good, though. :)
One reason for this may be that a film in a flat envelope can easily be damaged from everything else that is in the mail. I had an iPad protector destroyed before I ever received it. Completely unusable by the time I got it.

I am wiped out after 2 razors in the same day. My hands aren't very steady after that much honing, and I need to go do something that requires larger movements than honing. I don't hone very often having 8 or so razors that are shave-ready.

I have no idea how honing 12 razors a day would be! Obviously the fastest method that provides excellent, desired results makes the money. $53k/year before overhead, expenses, etc... Wow.

Phil

Not a lot of money for a full time job, but working from home is nice.

On honing a lot of razors....I only speak of first hand knowledge. I went to a convention in Atlanta where this gentleman was there honing. I watched in action, front row seat. In the span of ~ an hour or so while talking and demonstrating and answering questions he honed up about 17 razors. One stone was done at a time. So, all 17 razors get bevels set. Then onto the next grit all the way up. It went fairly quickly, but the most impressive thing was how he honed and talked at the same time. Having in-depth conversation, answering questions, cutting up, etc. all the while honing away without a care. And, yes, they were quite shave ready. Most were in fairly good shape, yes. No chip removal or anything. Some needed a little more bevel work than others, etc. So, with talking, distractions, etc. if 17 can be done in an hour, I'd say more than that could be done when focused and not pausing. Push that close to 200 a day for a 10 hour work day and you have yourself one hell of a sore arm.
Now there's some income!

Found this, not sure if it has already been posted or not, (haven't read through the entire 12 pages :wacko: (up to 7 so far)), but I thought it was interesting and useful.

Yellow
(12 micron)
1200 Grit
Blue
(9 micron)
1800 Grit
Brown
(5 micron)
4000 Grit

Pink
(3 micron)
8000 Grit
|-
Light Green
(1 micron)
14000 Grit

Off White
(.3 micron)
50,000 Grit

:online2long:

Got a few more numbers:
60 micron ~ 220 grit
45 micron ~ 325 grit
25 micron ~ 600 grit
7 micron ~ 2,200 grit

Is there a reason why my 1 micron film wears out quickly? It seems that only after five razors the film has empty specs/spots. The other grits are fine.
Are you using the paper under it? that may have something to do with it.
If you're using it without then with it's getting twice as much use. Just a thought.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Are you using the paper under it? that may have something to do with it.
If you're using it without then with it's getting twice as much use. Just a thought.

If the wear is patchy, it is possible that the lapping plate is not flat and smooth.

A piece of film should be just getting good after five razors. I typically get a dozen out of one piece. I DO think that the wet paper will make it last a bit longer, though, as well as give a superior edge.

Are you guys doing the paper underneath for all grits? I've been doing it only on the .3, but have considered running through the whole progression that way.

It should be done on whatever you use as the finishing film. If you use it at the lower grits, it can lead to quite a bit if convexing of the bevels.

Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, you should just be aware of it.

Last edited:
Just being curious; what is the purpose of the paper?

It allows a bit of "give" under the film, which does two things: it helps give a more refined edge, and it also very slightly changes the incident angle of the film to edge.

I used the films today first attempt ever at honing. took the Shumate razor I just finished restoring to them. It worked it shaved. Not the most comfortable shave I've ever had but not the worst ether. I couldn't ask for a better first try. I did have a little problem with the 1u I think a cat hair got under it but never found anything. It seemed a little bumpy in spots.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I used the films today first attempt ever at honing. took the Shumate razor I just finished restoring to them. It worked it shaved. Not the most comfortable shave I've ever had but not the worst ether. I couldn't ask for a better first try. I did have a little problem with the 1u I think a cat hair got under it but never found anything. It seemed a little bumpy in spots.

That will cause problems. Any dirt or hair or bubbles under the film will mess you up a bit. The perfect flatness of the honing surface is an important factor in the final result.

I have always' had problems with abrasve film in that I can't get it to lay flat on the plate I try to hone on.
I"ve tried soaking in water for various times, and useing a J-Roller to squish it flat. The only thing that seems to work for me is cutting the film longer than needed and tapeing the ends down.
Also I have noticed that useing a Crox lap and or a Diamond paste hone after useing the film makes, for me, a much smoother shave then going right to a test shave after film honing.
IMHO only!!
Thanks for ready my little rant.

just ordered a granite plate from Grizzly, looking forward to giving it a go. thanks 4 the info on where to get the plate.

I got the 6 x 8 from Grizzly it comes with a calibration certificate. I like it so far.

Anyway I'm a big dummy I was having problems with the 1um feeling grainy and the particles coming loose from the backing. So I had at it again today same problem. I got to the web site I got the stuff from and look at it and notice the 1um listed is green hmm! mine is white:oops: I was using the 0.3um not the 1um :blink: Well no wonder the shave was a little rough close but rough. Sheez!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I'll tell you what you can do with the .3u (white) film... apply it over damp paper on your plate. It makes a big difference. Also try using lather on top of this film instead of water. Use plenty of laps... about double what you use with water only. Wow... no CrOx needed. Just go straight to a leather hanging strop, and shave. But you still need some 1u. It is your finish. The glaze on the donut. The .3u over paper is like the little candy sprinkles. I tried lather on film for the first time a few days ago and I was impressed. Can't wait to try it again.

Top Bottom