What's new

Lapping film, try it.

Not a chance.

Luddite!

What kind of paper? Is the purpose to provide a bit of give? Would it work over a piece of balsa or leather?

Just a piece of plain white copier paper. It allows for a bit of give beneath the film, which slightly changes both the geometry (gives a slight convex), as well as allowing the abrasive particles to sink down a bit as the razor passes over, thereby creating a slightly more refined edge.

Ok, got my films in from rick last night and gave them a whirl. I had a vintage sheffield wedge that wasn't up to my standards and was being a PITA and I finished up a restore of another last night. Both were honed in my standard progression of Chosera 400, 1K then coticule dilucot. I normally go to the escher after this, but the first wedge didn't get any better so I think I didn't get my dilucot right completely on it.

Regardless, I then took each to the 1 um film and then the 0.3 um (no sheet underneath as I hadn't read that). Result - very keen and very smooth edges. Really shocked! I don't see these ever replacing my stones, but for PITA razors and possibly wedges I will probably be looking at these.

hmm.... that my friend is a lot of razors........

i usually do 2 or so a day....
I am wiped out after 2 razors in the same day. My hands aren't very steady after that much honing, and I need to go do something that requires larger movements than honing. I don't hone very often having 8 or so razors that are shave-ready.

I have no idea how honing 12 razors a day would be! Obviously the fastest method that provides excellent, desired results makes the money. $53k/year before overhead, expenses, etc... Wow.

Phil

I am wiped out after 2 razors in the same day. My hands aren't very steady after that much honing, and I need to go do something that requires larger movements than honing. I don't hone very often having 8 or so razors that are shave-ready.

I have no idea how honing 12 razors a day would be! Obviously the fastest method that provides excellent, desired results makes the money. $53k/year before overhead, expenses, etc... Wow.

Phil

boggles the mind don't it..

hmmm... picking up a extra 53k a year in my spare time for 15 years straight *(see what i did there?? didja?? didja?? :w00t:)

After a huge fight with my Norton 8k as posted in another thread I read this entire thread pointed out to my by Seraphim. I live in an RV trailer and rocks take up space never mind how mad I was last night. I keep reading "get a dmt" well for the same price I ordered enough film to probably last me forever. Plus the advantage of finishing grits I don't have with my currant rocks. We'll see how it goes.

This is my home and why size matters to me a lot anf the reason I think these films will be so perfect for me.

proxy.php

Has anyone tried a thick blade yet? I have a 8/8 Marshes and Shepard and a friend's 8/8 Wade and Butcher to do; but wonder if this will eat through the film quickly.

hmm.... that my friend is a lot of razors........

i usually do 2 or so a day....

The most I've done was 10 and it took most of the day because each one had to have the bevel set and brought up from scratch. Frowns, nicks, everything under the sun was there. I was tired afterwards!

I like to do four or five because it lets me get efficient about things but doesn't get boring. Setting the bevel, initial honing, polishing, stropping, and shaving can be done in sets.

However, I only work a day or so a week at honing. It isn't a steady stream of razors for me.

On honing a lot of razors....I only speak of first hand knowledge. I went to a convention in Atlanta where this gentleman was there honing. I watched in action, front row seat. In the span of ~ an hour or so while talking and demonstrating and answering questions he honed up about 17 razors. One stone was done at a time. So, all 17 razors get bevels set. Then onto the next grit all the way up. It went fairly quickly, but the most impressive thing was how he honed and talked at the same time. Having in-depth conversation, answering questions, cutting up, etc. all the while honing away without a care. And, yes, they were quite shave ready. Most were in fairly good shape, yes. No chip removal or anything. Some needed a little more bevel work than others, etc. So, with talking, distractions, etc. if 17 can be done in an hour, I'd say more than that could be done when focused and not pausing. Push that close to 200 a day for a 10 hour work day and you have yourself one hell of a sore arm.

Ok, got my films in from rick last night and gave them a whirl. I had a vintage sheffield wedge that wasn't up to my standards and was being a PITA and I finished up a restore of another last night. Both were honed in my standard progression of Chosera 400, 1K then coticule dilucot. I normally go to the escher after this, but the first wedge didn't get any better so I think I didn't get my dilucot right completely on it.

Regardless, I then took each to the 1 um film and then the 0.3 um (no sheet underneath as I hadn't read that). Result - very keen and very smooth edges. Really shocked! I don't see these ever replacing my stones, but for PITA razors and possibly wedges I will probably be looking at these.

The ones I sent were coated with a special sauce and unicorn tears. That's why they worked as great as they did.

Top Bottom