What's new

Lapping film, try it.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
"Knock Knock Knock" Who's there? open the door man it's me Blade! who? Blade man open the door! Blade's Not Here Man.:001_cool:

So skipped the CrOx this time stopped with 1 micron with paper below. Seemed to work might try stopping at 2-3 microns next, or straight to 1 micron with paper?

Last edited:
I got my lapping film from Thorlabs today. The sheets are big and I need to cut them down... Will it sharpen my scissors as I cut it?? :thumbup:

How did we let this thread fall so far off the schedule? Can it really be that no one has any questions about lapping film at all? Has lapping film spread perfection to all points of the globe?

:)

Brian

I bought a rock.

$hart2.gif

It's still in my bookmarks. And on my personal radar even though not on the forums front page.

I'll be the first to admit that my form is far front perfect. I just need to get some free time to get back to it.

Last edited:
Well if you think about it, the thread is very clear and concise. Very well written, if someone has a question I think they would be able to find the answer. Hats off to the writers and everyone that put their mark on this!

I ordered some 3 u and 1 u from Thorlabs, I'm expecting it this week. Looking forward to give it a try.
My plan is to go from 3k hone to 3u to 1u then 1u with wet paper underneath.
Try a shave with that Strop on some black Solingen paste if necessary.

How did we let this thread fall so far off the schedule? Can it really be that no one has any questions about lapping film at all? Has lapping film spread perfection to all points of the globe?
:)

Brian

It's not really off the schedule. It never was. Many here are secretly in psychic contact with Seraphim and need not type to have information exchanged.

I just shaved with a razor that i tuned with a combination of DMT 1200 to correct the bevel followed by polishing of the edge with lapping film 5 micron and then 1 micron. To finish off 1 used the xerox paper under the 1 micron trick. I got a smooth edge which sliced effortlessly through my stubble.

IIRC, when I started out with lapping film, I was using PSA backed film from 3M and a tile I had received from a friend that unfortunately had some structure in it. To my delight, I found a Thorlabs facility in Munich and order non PSA film from them. I also switched tiles to a super smooth one that I got a the local building market for free, as a sample. I have not honed anything for roughly a year and as a result the fact that I got a super smooth edge just by using skills from memory, just goes to show how reliable and easy lapping film is to use.

It's not really off the schedule. It never was. Many here are secretly in psychic contact with Seraphim and need not type to have information exchanged.

It's not me.

It's The Film.

It's sort of like the Borg Collective.

You will be assimilated

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom