What's new

Soaking Safety Razors in Alcohol

Interesting, the only reason I did it in alcohol is to be sure the water is displaced when I store it.

And for that reason you are all fine of course. (You get the result in the quickest (drying)time possible). The 70% is for newly gained vintage razors only. As a matter of fact- me myself don´t bother for the alcohol soak but for the first time only. (Again- only vintage razors- and again probably not needed..)

when I first got my contract tech, I did the heavy duty alcohol cleansing after every shave. I stopped when I noticed the finish was starting to disappear.

Not be be a jerk, but if someone thinks there is that much bacteria in the water, why are you putting it on your face?

Bacteria in your face? Wash it first.

Your bigger risk is fungal infection, which alcohol is not always effective at treating.

I dip my razor in alcohol for about 10 seconds after each shave. I do it to sanitize as well as remove left over water on it. I find I can get an extra shave out of a blade since doing it.

I dip my razor in alcohol for about 10 seconds after each shave. I do it to sanitize as well as remove left over water on it. I find I can get an extra shave out of a blade since doing it.

I do this and agree with the reasoning..

Gillette used a lacquer to protect the thin gold plating and alcohol would remove that lacquer.
I just take out the blade, pat dry on a tissue paper and place it on the next razor on rotation.

I can see where you could go through quite a bit of alcohol soakinh it after every shave. I simply keep a small misting type spray bottle filled with alcohol. A simple fine mist of alcohol after the shave and rinse is all that is needed in order to displace water and disinfect the razor and blade. Wiping it down afterwards with a towel and it stays clean ubtil the next shave.

The only other maintenance I do is to scrub the razor down with toothpaste and a soft brush between blades or swiching out razors.

No cavities on your razor. :2guns:

Top Bottom