What's new

Soaking Safety Razors in Alcohol

I'm sure it's just my own personal weirdness, but it's always in the back of my mind that someone could've had an off day at the razor blade factory in St. Pete or Mumbai, and not been as clean with their work as they should've, or that something could've happened between the blade's final manufacturing process and its packaging, that would leave it less disinfected than I'd like. It calms my OCD to go through the extra step in the name of hygiene and costs next to nothing. Plus, it keeps things shiny and rust-free. The next step for me is Barbicide. . . which I'll readily agree is excessive. . . but the blue jar/strainer arrangement looks so good on the counter. . .

I'm no biochemist, but others much wiser than me have stated that the disinfecting properties of alcohol take place as the alcohol evaporates. I believe the alcohol damages the cell membranes of the nasty little organisms and then, when exposed to air, they dehydrate and die. Therefore, soaking in alcohol for any length of time has no real affect. Just a quick spray or dip followed by air drying should be sufficient.

I'm no biochemist, but others much wiser than me have stated that the disinfecting properties of alcohol take place as the alcohol evaporates. I believe the alcohol damages the cell membranes of the nasty little organisms and then, when exposed to air, they dehydrate and die. Therefore, soaking in alcohol for any length of time has no real affect. Just a quick spray or dip followed by air drying should be sufficient.

Not sure about this at all. Contact time is definitely related to how effectively disinfection happens. Some germs and bacteria are more robust than others, and it takes more time for the disinfection agent to kill them. Barbicide is a much more powerful disinfectant than alcohol, and the manufacturer states that it takes 10 minutes of "moist contact" to be effective.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I'm not at all worried about sanitizing it. I do soak my razor in a plastic tub of alcohol after each shave while I clean up because I believe it helps cut buildup of soap scum. Shake it out, wipe the cap, set it down to dry.

You are correct. That is also how most hand sanitizers work.

I'm not at all worried about sanitizing it. I do soak my razor in a plastic tub of alcohol after each shave while I clean up because I believe it helps cut buildup of soap scum. Shake it out, wipe the cap, set it down to dry.

It's fun to see my old thread resurrected and discussed!

John here has my whole original intent with this question nailed. I too was/am not concerned with the sanitation aspect. I'm more concerned about scum and buildup. And like he, I find it does keep the razor cleaner and looking shiny.

I'm more interested since my blades, even though stainless, rust. I've head someone dunks their head in alcohol and this eliminates the issue.

Just as an FYI, 70% alcohol actually sanitizes better than 91%.

Why? 70% has more water in it than 91%. I have seen that statement before but could never find a scientific study to back the statement up.

I remember reading a study to this effect, but as I recall what it found wasn't that 70% worked better than higher concentrations, but rather that there was no measurable improvement above 70%.

Besides disinfecting, alcohol will displace the water (or does it absorb/incorporate the water?) and evaporate quickly from the razor, resulting in less chance for rust or corrosion on parts that might be prone to that. Anyway, there are positive benefits, it's inexpensive, and it only takes a few seconds to dunk or spray your razor, so as far as I'm concerned, it's a winner! :thumbup1:

I think 70% alcohol solutions are more effective than stronger ones because the presence of water helps speed up the diffusion of the alcohol through the cellular membranes of the "nasties." This is also why contact time is important when using antiseptics and disinfectants, because any solution you might use will kill some germs more quickly than others.

I do not worry about disinfecting my razor no more than I do disinfecting my eating utensils. No, I do not soak my razor.

Rubbing alcohol?

My word man! We adhere to a certain standard at B&B!
I, for instance, would only consider soaking my Feathers in a premium Saki, my Astra SPs in a first-rate Russian Vodka, and by beloved Personna Med preps in a lovely bourbon like Hirsch or Pappy Van Winkle.

I see no harm in a quick rubbing alcohol soak if it eases any concern you may have. In fact, I use it on occassion.

Last edited:
I soak my razor and new blade in rubbing alcohol every time I change blades (3-4 Shaves). I leave the blade in until it is time to change it but do not regularly soak it in-between every shave. Mainly, just to disinfect the new blade and some routine maintenance on the razor (also scrub with a toothbrush before entering it in the soak).

I only let it hang out in the alcohol bath for about 10 mins or so, I don't see any reason to leave it in there longer. Quick rinse, dry and ready for the next shave!

Rubbing alcohol?

My word man! We adhere to a certain standard at B&B!
I, for instance, would only consider soaking my Feathers in a premium Saki, my Astra SPs in a first-rate Russian Vodka, and by beloved Personna Med preps in a lovely bourbon like Hirsch or Pappy Van Winkle.

Awesome.

I remember reading a study to this effect, but as I recall what it found wasn't that 70% worked better than higher concentrations, but rather that there was no measurable improvement above 70%.

I asked a chemist this question a few months back and he told me that the higher percentages (80-90%) were evapouring too quickly. Mind you- it´s the evapouring that kills the nasties. (Thus 70% route is the way to go).
Nevermind- by now I know that the alcohol is really overkill anyway. Still use it though.

Interesting, the only reason I did it in alcohol is to be sure the water is displaced when I store it.

Top Bottom