What's new

Best CA glue for Micarta

Hey all...just what the title says. What's the best CA stuff to use on micarta that can provide the glossy polished finish? (with the appropriate coats and sanding/polishing steps, of course).

Preferably something that can be acquired at a Lowes or Home Depot, but if only available online, then no problem.

Thanks!

I would get anything that is "thin" I have used the LocTite brand and it works fine. Don't get the Gorilla Glue brand though - it's rubberized. Just make sure that whatever you get is pure CA and you should be alright. I highly recommend you also find a cure accelerator. Makes things go WAY faster.

How exactly do you use supper glue as a finish? It looks amazing but I never could figure out how it is applied.

The problem I have never figured out is the wedge, how to do the wedge and keep that nice tight look. If you sand the scales without the wedge on it may mess up the fit.

Hot stuff. You should be able to find it at hobby/RC shops.

Doc, this is where the microfastener screws are your friend, you can assemble the scale and wedge with the microfastener screws sand, then take apart to finish the scales and wedges separately. if there is still a gap, give a light sand and re apply a few layers of CA after it's all pinned together.

Here you go Matt:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=144398&highlight=tutorial

It looks great but is a total PITA. I will use it sometimes, but I prefer Shellac - much more forgiving, easy to fix if you mess it up... CA is wicked durable though... Total nightmare to wet sand though.

Doc,

Most of the razors I see done in CA have a wedge that is of a material that doesn't need to be finished in CA, like bone, Metal, etc.on the inside of the scales, I just use enough CA to seal the wood - mirror finishing is a waste of time. Then when you sand, you have to be VERY careful not to round the edges of the scales on the inside where the wedge will sit. If you do, you will never get that tight look (something I also wrestle with to this day). There's a lot of trial and error to be done there, but if you want a great looking wedge, you either need to glue the wedge permanently and add a pin for looks, or make the wedge so that there's a reveal edge of some sort so you can't see if something is off - an optical illusion of sorts.

The other problem is, when you build up a finish, you make the scales thicker too. One thing you could try is to CA the scales like you want them, assemble the back end of the razor with an oversized wedge, then shape the back end again. You will strip off the CA finish, but then you just redo what you stripped. Not the best option, but certainly workable.

Jeff

I would think "boarding" the sand paper for the inside sanding would do the trick, wouldn't you? I mean, if the sandpaper is backed by something rigid and you lay it flat, that would reduce your margin for error and rounding...Just a thought.

The other problem is, when you build up a finish, you make the scales thicker too. One thing you could try is to CA the scales like you want them, assemble the back end of the razor with an oversized wedge, then shape the back end again. You will strip off the CA finish, but then you just redo what you stripped. Not the best option, but certainly workable.

Jeff
I have tried that and always mess up the scale, then can never recover it.

Honestly there is no need for a CA finished. Just sand it up to a high grit then a little polish and there you go.
What do you polish with?

Top Bottom