What's new

J.A. Henckels makes a new straight razor

I had read on straight razor forums that Henckels no longer made straight razors, but that their blades had always been first rate.

I found a new straight razor Made by Zwilling J.A. Henckels, 5/8" round point stainless blade, easily available (http://pourhomme.zwilling.com/) for ~150 USD.

I bought one, and it only required minor honing and stropping to be shave-ready. Actually seems to be a fine blade. Have any of you guys tried this razor? I'd appreciate your opinions.

I had read on straight razor forums that Henckels no longer made straight razors, but that their blades had always been first rate.

I found a new straight razor Made by Zwilling J.A. Henckels, 5/8" round point stainless blade, easily available (http://pourhomme.zwilling.com/) for ~150 USD.

I bought one, and it only required minor honing and stropping to be shave-ready. Actually seems to be a fine blade. Have any of you guys tried this razor? I'd appreciate your opinions.
Average to Good nothing like the vintage twin or Platinum or Fridour

Taz, you've mentioned this before, and I'm curious which Zwilling razor you tried? They make them in two variants now, a low-end model that just recieves normal heat treatment, and a high-end model that is also cryo-hardened - this is the only one that is actually marked "Friodur". Is it possible you tried a non-Friodur model?

The current-production 6/8 Friodur that I own is every bit as good as my vintage Friodurs, including both my Crowley Friodurs and my Henckels-issued ones, and including Friodurs that I have honed for others. I don't know if these new razors are being made by Dovo or still made by Henckels, but whoever made mine made it right. The only thing that gives it away as new production is the etching on the shank instead of stamping.

Edit: Zwilling made 5 different models of these razors - a 5/8 half hollow non-friodur, and full hollow models in 5/8 and 6/8 sizes, each available in friodur and non-friodur models. The new Zwillings were carried by Nordstroms for awhile, and remaining stock appears to have been liquidated through www.cutleryandmore.com about a year ago. They were only available in two models: a 5/8 non-Friodur, and a 6/8 Friodur.

Taz, you've mentioned this before, and I'm curious which Zwilling razor you tried? They make them in two variants now, a low-end model that just recieves normal heat treatment, and a high-end model that is also cryo-hardened - this is the only one that is actually marked "Friodur". Is it possible you tried a non-Friodur model?

The current-production 6/8 Friodur that I own is every bit as good as my vintage Friodurs, including both my Crowley Friodurs and my Henckels-issued ones, and including Friodurs that I have honed for others. I don't know if these new razors are being made by Dovo or still made by Henckels, but whoever made mine made it right. The only thing that gives it away as new production is the etching on the shank instead of stamping.

Edit: Zwilling made 5 different models of these razors - a 5/8 half hollow non-friodur, and full hollow models in 5/8 and 6/8 sizes, each available in friodur and non-friodur models. The new Zwillings were carried by Nordstroms for awhile, and remaining stock appears to have been liquidated through www.cutleryandmore.com about a year ago. They were only available in two models: a 5/8 non-Friodur, and a 6/8 Friodur.

I can not remember I sold it, but it was probally the non Friodur the only thin I remember it was white and had the twins on it. I think it might have been 5/8:confused1

I have Friodur 13/16. The older model, the best shaver for me. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would hope the newer models would be just as good.

I have the newer model in both a 5/8 and 6/8. There was a debate a while back whether Dovo actually made these. Don't know. Definitely OK shavers, but not anywhere near the older and especially pre-WW2 Henckels.

Have fun.

Lynn

I have the newer model in both a 5/8 and 6/8. There was a debate a while back whether Dovo actually made these. Don't know. Definitely OK shavers, but not anywhere near the older and especially pre-WW2 Henckels.

Have fun.

Lynn

I agree with this one

Good information - I'm looking for this brand. Seem some of eBay, trying to learn how to evaluate

The previous post, which you replied to, dates to August 2009.

I contacted Henckels 2-3 years ago and they confirmed that they no longer produce razors.
That leaves us essentially with pre-owned razors.

As a rough guide, stick to Friodur razors with beige colored scales.
The last Friodurs, with black scales, were not to the same standard.

B.

Top Bottom