What's new

Have recently finished tins of tobacco? I may take them off your hands...

I've come up with an interesting idea and need your help fellow Brown Leafians. I have an interest in possibly buying (or taking off your hands + shipping) some of your recently finished pipe tobacco tins. I have some questions first though...

Most importantly, can anyone discover what material these modern day tins are made out of, and possibly is there is any sort of coating on them?

Secondly, what are the dimensions of these tins? Round, rectangular, or square. I have an estimate that rectangular tins should be around 3.5" x 2.5" x 1" and if I'm close to right there, then that works out perfectly. I have no clue for round tins however, so if anyone wants to measure to help me out, that would be awesome.

Why, you may be asking? Well, I am interested in using these tins are soap contains, this again relies heavily on what material and lining, if any, the tins are composed of. I'm hoping for stainless steel. Now I hope if this idea is successful I haven't just lost all of my opportunity in acquiring some (all my tobacco has been bought in bulk and bagged so far or else I would be using my own).

Thanks for your help, I hope this can work out.

To my knowledge the only tins that are coated on the inside are the McCelland, C&D, and G.L. Pease blends which are a round plastic lidded tin. Most of the other round and rectangular tins are I believe "tin" and will eventually rust. I've have a few of both if you are interested PM me. I know of no tins that are stainless.
Regards,
Roger

FWIW, I found a few old tobacco tins at an antique mall not too long ago (pics here). I have no idea how old they were. There was some wear and tear on them, but I don't recall any rust. Still, I wouldn't put shaving soap in them, especially if I was planning on trying to sell it.

That's a very cool idea though. You may want to try contacting a few of the tobacco companies directly, or even head to your local tobacco shop. You never know what they'll have laying around.

Well its certainly not for any soap I'm trying to sell, just my own enjoyment. Unfortunately the closest tobacco shop to me is two hours away, so I came here for the help. If it ends up working out though, I think it will be a fun way to store soaps. I've been reading up on Tin and its suppose to be a metal that doesn't rust, however its common for metals to just be tin plated.

Most tins I've seen in antique shops have seen better days or are flip tops amd wouldn't suit my purpose.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The tins are aluminium. And the square ones are vaccume sealed at the factory, but once they are opened the lid doesn't snap back on, it just sets on top if that's important to you. The labels are also just stickers, so if they get wet may not keep their look.

I like the idea though. It's a good way to reuse the tins.

I have 5 tobacco tins, they measure 4" around and 1" deep (1 is 1 1/4" deep), they are all coated on the interior (coatings vary), I also have 6 snuff tins with coated interiors, they measure 2 3/4" around by 1" deep, PM me if interested...
$IMG_1913.jpg
I also have TONS of friction fit snuff tins, not pictured (small and large sizes) that I have had shaving cream in for about 2 to 3 months with no corrosion issues.

Last edited:
Thanks Blueheron, with Blade Boy's positive words, I think this will end up being a successful project! I'm excited to get my bar of Mike's Natural Lime into a tin and lather it up.

A swipe with some varnish or even some clear nail polish would fix that.

Noted, so far I've been careful to keep the labeled lid away from the sink as I lather up. As an update for anyone interested, the tins so far have been holding up very well, I'm using two rectangular tins both holding Mike's Natural soaps. No corrosion so far and looks pretty cool!

Top Bottom