Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camping (backacking) stoves

I worked as a guide in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness last summer and used the MSR Dragonfly stove exclusively. The stove is labeled under the gourmet section of MSR but really no backpacking stove is "gourmet". If you want to get fancy you'll have to cook over the fire. We cooked steak, chicken, and burgers our first night out over the fire, but we probably could have kept them cold a little longer with a better insulation system.
    -Sam

Images

I've had an MSR Whisperlite (non-international) for at least 8 years now. Use and abuse it regularly; dropped it, stepped on it, had untrained goofs try to light it and subsequently panic and toss it in the creek, etc etc etc. Still haven't had any need to pull out the repair kit. Only maintenance it's ever needed beyond an occasional soap and water is a pair of pliers to bend parts of it back into shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuritau View Post
    had untrained goofs try to light it and subsequently panic and toss it in the creek
    "Excuse me, but is the WHOLE stove supposed to be on fire?"

Brent.
    I'm ready to spring...

Images

Something like that, except with a little less articulation, and a little more screaming, throwing, and THEN talking. Would be more hilarious if it wasn't MY $80 stove, lol.

I have a Jetboil and a Whisperlite international, both are great. The jetboil is so foolproof I use it a lot these days especially since freeze dried has made such progress. TO cook something real though, the MSR is the ticket
    -Graham

Images

I have an used an Optimus Nova for 10 years now. It may need a new pump, it got put into a big rubbermaid container in a move and dug out the next spring and its not as nice looking... I haven't used it since. I have taken it backpacking, canoeing and climbing with great success. I liked it over the Dragonfly at the time but both stoves are great. It isn't that heavier than a Whisperlite if I remember but goodluck talking with people while next to the burner when its on high. :)