What's new

Bluetooth Earpieces - anyone wear them?

Nope, I have bluetooth in the car. Most people wearing them look like silly, they wear the thing all day to get maybe 1-2 calls. I can see if you a something like a stock broker and are constantly on the phone.

I use one. Plantronic 521. I think it's a cheapie by today's standards but I had the same one and lost it and than comandeered the one I bought my wife who never used it.

Mostly for car use where it performs superbly. It does not work well in windy environments, however. It's also very useful WHENEVER you want to have both hands free and continue doing something manual while accepting a call.

It's very comfortable because I often forget its in my ear only to be reminded to take it out when someone asks me "are you on the phone?". It also reminds me that I left my phone in the car as I walk away and reach a point where connectiviy is lost the device beeps, thus telling me to go back to the car and get the phone if I need it.

As far as appearance, I agree it's unsightly and detracts from any attempt at a gentelmanly presentation.

I use a Jawbone Era but I make a point to take it out of my ear when not using it. I travel a lot so I need it in loud airports, restaurants and in the car.
It bothers me to talk to someone with a BT stuck to the side of their head so I try to have respect for others and remove mine when not in use. I feel the same about sunglasses.

$brad-pitt-on-the-cover-of-wired.jpg

I can't read the caption at the bottom left, but it said something like 'Brad Pitt can barely pull it off. You definitely can't.

I don't own one. I can understand using one for driving but, that would be the only circumstance. I personally think they look hideous. YMMV. We have a sales rep that we buy some materials through that wears one. Everytime he comes to my office he has it on and never takes it off. He even went so far as to wear his daughters pink earpiece when his primary one died..... I cannot understand why someone would want to wear that all day.

Andy

No, I like the wired stereo type. I like to listen to music in boring meetings or training seminars. Of course I can still answer a call if I need to with the unit I have.

Jabra JX-10 Series II. Have used Sony Ericson and Plantronics. They all worked well but the Jabra has been the best so far. Sometimes I do forget it in my ear when I leave the car - old age, OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!

My car (Chrysler 300 SRT8) syncs with my phone, enabling me to make and receive calls hands free via u-connect (bluetooth). Works great, audio through car stereo, I am going to miss this feature, hate driving wifes car. No bells and whistles, I am spoiled!!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Never understood why someone who wasn't the president or a drug dealer needed the phone on all the time. An attempt to look more important than you are? Or like the addled soccer mom that almost hit me today as she drove through the red light with the phone in her ear? Twenty years ago soccer moms still got their vital task done, as did salespersons .. without driving distracted .. end rant, but put them down when you drive, or use them solo on treed roads & go really fast

YMMV,

Never understood why someone who wasn't the president or a drug dealer needed the phone on all the time. An attempt to look more important than you are? Or like the addled soccer mom that almost hit me today as she drove through the red light with the phone in her ear? Twenty years ago soccer moms still got their vital task done, as did salespersons .. without driving distracted .. end rant, but put them down when you drive, or use them solo on treed roads & go really fast

YMMV,
I'm a building contractor, and my commute in the morning is 2-3 hours in the San Francisco area, and 2-3 hours back home. About an hour into my morning the calls start coming, and the bluetooth makes it very easy to communicate. On the job it stays in the car.
I recommend the Jawbone Icon type, seconded by the JABRA. Both are very small and light, and very easy to use and activate, and pair wonderfully with the iphone.
Garyg, it's a different day my friend. I started framing houses when I was 15 years old back in '82, and then the foreman had a beeper, and would go catch his calls at lunch and after work. That progressed to text beepers, then in '90 I got a truck phone that honked my horn when it rang, then the suitcase phone, blahblahblah. There are expectations from people that parallel technology, and you have to keep up to some extent.
Brent.

YMMV,

Salespeople in "the old days" had a staff of admins and secretaries to do all the actual work. These days I'm a one-man show, doing all my own data-input, running my own reports, setting up my schedule, etc etc etc. I'm driving around 8, 10 hours a day 4 days a week. There can be 2 hours of driving between two customer visits some days, using that time productively pays off in the end.

Sometimes it's just part of the job. Wearing a hardhat isn't making a personal statement, or a fashion statement, it's just the best thing to do sometimes.

Top Bottom