What's new

New fishing pole help!

it usually works wonders down here. i'm going to stop and pick up some lures on the way home.

Go for some worms, shock them out your yard or buy some nightcrawlers

Crickets

Minnows (use the bread and a minnow trap) to get your own.
Take a 3 liter bottle, cut the top off, about 25%
Do the same to another, but cut the end off as well

Put them inside the 3 liter "tube" so the tops are facing one another

Take a hot piece of metal like a fork to melt holes in the ends, tie them in with fishing string

Dont forget to take the caps off :lol:

A 2 liter works, google a home made minnow trap
if you need pics, more details, its easy!

Goodluck

You have no idea what you're getting into! Give it a couple years and you'll want to buy every bait at your local tacke shop. Pan fishing can be cheap, so can bass fishing if you don't accumulate lures like me. DON'T musky fish! That will drain you're wallet like no other. Good luck this fishing season, Shimano is a good brand, it will work just fine! What kind of fish are you going after if you don't mind my asking?

Lucky you have no salmon or steelhead in FL... all the gear has to be bigger and more expensive when your after a 50lb
Chinook... And heaven forbid you start fly fishing... then you'll never have enough gear and always want more... like me... Fly fishing is kind of like SBAD / SSAD / RAD

Jason, I am left handed and just now I realized, when I use a baitcaster, I throw with my left hand and reel with my right. If I am using a spinning rod, I throw with my right hand and reel with my left. So I guess all my bait casters are set up right handed, and all my spinning reels are left. Almost all spinning reels can be switched, but not all baitcasters have that option.

I will go against the purist here and recommend a nice baitcaster (spincaster if your not into open reels) or spinning reel combo, 6 1/2 foot medium action Shimano or Shakespeare rod and reel combo from one of the big box stores. A nice setup can be had for under $50.

Somewhere I read that a baitcaster is supposed to be setup so you turn the crank with your dominant hand. As I recall the reason is that baitcast reels are designed to have a more efficient drag system which means you'll be using a bait cast reel for bringing in larger fish which means you need more coordination to turn the crank. I can't cite my source and I don't know if it was a reliable source anyway but it makes sense to me. The majority of the heavy penn baitcast reels for salt water fishing have the crank on the right side, according to wikipedia only 10% of the world's population is left handed so I've got to believe penn makes reels for the majority not the minority.

With a spinning reel one often wants to start reeling just after the lure hits the water, most people will cast holding the rod in their dominant hand and turn the crank on the reel with the opposite hand in this case, but really which ever feels most natural probably works well enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom