What's new

Bass notes

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Nope. Not the cologne review site. I'm talking about music.

What are your favorite selections that have incredibly deep bass? I have a few favorites, but what do you like? I'm talking wall shaking, house shuddering, thunderous, stentorian bass, not the crap you hear from passing vehicles in urban centers.

I have always loved the bass sound on the Allman Brothers Fillmore East album. It may not be the deepest but it is just a great sound that wraps itself around me and vibrates my soul.

Not just good bass (there is a bass player thread) but deep thundering bass.

Hmmm.

• Chris Squire at a Yes concert playing Amazing grace with HEAVY distortion.
  • Just about all of the Bill Laswell ambient/trance/dub stuff
  • Soul Coughing bassist on just about any of their tunes (and it's an acoustic bass!)
  • Sprinal Tab Big Bottomed Girls bass lines

Will add more as they come to mind.....

One of my faves. Shame on me for not thinking of Les.

It's OK. I forgive you. After all, I forgot the Red Hot Chili Peppers (pre-sober days).

Ah, also Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Victor Wooten is amazing. Check out Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo and Stomping Grounds. Heck, just check out the whole Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - Greatest Hits Of The 20th Century album.

Ah that brings back memories... If I really wanted to make the building tremble, I'd probably use something from Neophyte or Marshall Masters or something or other. :biggrin: I just pulled Neophyte -Execute out of the bottom of a drawer because of this thread... Now that is a bass :001_cool:. Slaves to the Rave would work well too now that I think of it.

Not sure this was what the original poster was looking for though :biggrin:.

BTW here is an example of what I am talking about... be warned this is not considered music by everybody...

Not just good bass (there is a bass player thread) but deep thundering bass.

Hmmm.

• Chris Squire at a Yes concert playing Amazing grace with HEAVY distortion.
  • Just about all of the Bill Laswell ambient/trance/dub stuff
  • Soul Coughing bassist on just about any of their tunes (and it's an acoustic bass!)
  • Sprinal Tab Big Bottomed Girls bass lines

Will add more as they come to mind.....

hey, a Laswell fan. Definately some heavy bass going on with his stuff. My favorite would be the Painkiller album EXECUTION GROUND.

Here's a few of my other favorite deep bass albums:

Golden Palominos - DEAD INSIDE

Scorn - EVANESCENCE

Macro Dub Infection Vol. 1 (Various Artists)

Blind Idiot God - CYCLOTRON

Coil - LOVE'S SECRET DOMAIN (an all-around amazingly recorded electronic album, one of my all time favorites)

Massive Attack - MEZZANINE (another one of my favorite electronic albums, folks would recognize the theme from the show "House" is from this album)

-Mason

I love Les Claypool as well, and in that line, I am going to put another name in here. It is not necessarily the deepest bass, but definitely a joy to listen to.
Matt Freeman of Rancid. I know, it is a punk band, but if you ever hear him going off on a bass solo, you will be impressed. A good example might be "Maxwell Murder" off of the ". . . And Out Come the Wolves" album.

ouch

I was thinking something deeper. Two of my favorites for exercising the subwoofer are

Camille Saint-Saens, Symphony No. 3 "Organ", Telarc CD-80274

Modest Mussorgksy, Pictures at an Exhibition, organ transcription by Jean Guillou, Dorian Recordings DOR-90117

The latter has the deepest bass I have ever heard.

Of course, I'll try anything.

I was thinking something deeper. Two of my favorites for exercising the subwoofer are

Modest Mussorgksy, Pictures at an Exhibition, organ transcription by Jean Guillou, Dorian Recordings DOR-90117

As for Telarc, my favorites are;

Walton, Symphony No. 1 + Crown Imperial and Orb & Sceptre Marches - Andre Previn / Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - CD-80125 (the Orb & Sceptre has some pretty heavy duty dynamic range, one of my favorite classical recordings)

Mahler, Symphony No. 2, Leonard Slatkin / The St. Louis Symphony - CD-80081 (my favorite Telarc release)

Another classic from Telarc:

Stravinsky: Firebird Suite & Borodin: Polovtsian Dances - Robert Shaw/Atlanta Symphony Orchestra - CD-80039

Another recording with awesome bass and dynamics:

Shostokovich Symphony No. 8, Slatkin & The St. Louis Symphony on RCA.

Gah - I was typing that Mussorgsky piece as you wrote it. Mediocre minds think alike...

Don't forget Emerson, Lake, and Palmer for some fine snarly bass work.

I was thinking something deeper.

I was wondering if by any chance you meant bass as a frequency range rather than as an instrument. As a bass player, it pains me to say this, but you might want to look into music with a low synth bass. Maybe some Kraftwerk?

Re: electric bass, I know Billy Sheehan uses an amp that is not meant for instruments but rather for reproducing earthquake-type frequencies in special applications. I don't know his work, but if they were able to adequately record that (doubtful), then it might be worth checking into. Bass is notoriously difficult to record, and most of what we hear as low bass is actually our ear hearing the overtones and our brain "filling in" the fundamental.

M

modern man

Sorry I missed the classics, I only do the electric boogaloo.

I saw Ray Brown, the last of the great straight-ahead jazz bassist IMO, with a trio in a concert hall in Zurich about a year before he died.

It was real interesting seeing jazz with the Swiss. I'm convinced that the majority of the audience had no clue that they were experiencing improv--or what improv is, for that matter.

The Swiss, at least to me, seem like a very reserved people, and this extended right into the concert hall. Everyone sitting there, semi-formal, with their hands folded neatly in their laps.

The second set was HOT, and I started boppin in my seat. The guy next to me caught it, and started tapping his hand against his knee in an almost imperceptible way. His wife stopped him.

Primus - almost anything by them really
Sugarcubes

Along the lines of the Sugarcubes, my first thought was Bjork's albums Homogenic; see esp. track 1 Hunter.

U2s The Unforgettable Fire, esp. if you can get it on vinyl.

Some of those late 70s Genesis records, where Mike Rutherford played both electric bass and one of those Moog Taurus pedal basses.

Strauss' Also Spracht Zarathustra would also give your subwoofer a pretty good workout

ouch

As for Telarc, my favorites are;

Walton, Symphony No. 1 + Crown Imperial and Orb & Sceptre Marches - Andre Previn / Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - CD-80125 (the Orb & Sceptre has some pretty heavy duty dynamic range, one of my favorite classical recordings)

Mahler, Symphony No. 2, Leonard Slatkin / The St. Louis Symphony - CD-80081 (my favorite Telarc release)

Another classic from Telarc:

Stravinsky: Firebird Suite & Borodin: Polovtsian Dances - Robert Shaw/Atlanta Symphony Orchestra - CD-80039

Another recording with awesome bass and dynamics:

Shostokovich Symphony No. 8, Slatkin & The St. Louis Symphony on RCA.

Try the version from Reference Recordings.

Great selections.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom