Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: how to dissolve soap scum on straight razors

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    368
    Images
    3

    Default how to dissolve soap scum on straight razors

    I was reading a recent post about caring for straight razors, and a member noted he dipped his blades in a mixture of denatured alcohol and mineral oil after shaving. The former ingredient is used to dissolve soap scum, the latter to coat the blade between uses.

    I've noticed with time my blades have accumulated a fair degree of soap scum, especially in close proximity to the edge where I dare not wipe with a tissue. Any other tricks out there for removing soap scum post shave? Is rubbing alcohol equally effective at removing it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    A Guitar Shaped Pool
    Posts
    18,517
    Images
    1

    Default

    I'd recommend not letting accumulate in the first place. A good rinse and wipe will prevent it from building up in the first place.
    Henry

    My Kit

    henry (@) badgerandblade.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    3,099
    Images
    5

    Default

    Yes, definitely wipe completely clean after using. Don't be afraid to wipe it down with a towel or tissue, just use light pressure and go parallel to the edge from heel to toe.

    You could try a dilute solution of ammonia, which is what is in scrubbing bubbles.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    368
    Images
    3
    Thread Starter

    Default

    After shaving my routine is to run the blade under hot water, promptly strop it lightly on a barber's towel, then wipe it parallel from heel to toe and, if needed, wipe around the pivot and inside the scales with a tissue, then give it 5-10 light laps on leather and return it to its sheath (the ugly ones that Jarrod sells that function beautifully).

    Regardless, over time I get scum buildup within a few mm of the edge, largely because I don't attempt to wipe that close to the edge.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    That bit of England where it rains a lot
    Posts
    2,762
    Images
    1

    Default

    I wipe mine with a tissue (pinch a piece around the spine and run parallel to the edge) and I've not once damaged an edge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,925

    Default

    I get the same soap scum building up as well. I have a jar of Barbicide in my bathroom, a 1 second blade dip and then a wipe down and rinse and its good as new.
    Evan

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmotley View Post
    After shaving my routine is to run the blade under hot water, promptly strop it lightly on a barber's towel, then wipe it parallel from heel to toe and, if needed, wipe around the pivot and inside the scales with a tissue, then give it 5-10 light laps on leather and return it to its sheath (the ugly ones that Jarrod sells that function beautifully).

    Regardless, over time I get scum buildup within a few mm of the edge, largely because I don't attempt to wipe that close to the edge.
    Can I ask what a barber's towel is :(
    [URL="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/User:Gumbo"]My Shave Wiki!!![/URL]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    750

    Default

    My method for getting the scum off is to try and not get any any way. Most of the time the scum comes from lather thats a tad to dry. Add a little more and that resolves the intial problem. To resolve the second problem of it being there a piece of bathroom toilet tissue as has been said is a good way to clean the scum off.
    EXPECT success in every shave and the universe will certainly make way for that success.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    368
    Images
    3
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gumbo View Post
    Can I ask what a barber's towel is :(
    Barber's towel/shaving towel/whatever....

    http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...972/508815.htm

    They're fantastic.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The State of Denial California, USA
    Posts
    936

    Default

    I'm going try the alcohol and .5% oil mixture. It was recommended to me elsewhere.

    Currently I rinse in hot water, then wipe parallel using a hand towel. Been using this process for a year and haven't even cut a hand towel. Never any damage to the blade.
    May your lather be slick, the sweep of your razor sure, and your edge always keen!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lanesborough, In the "other" Massachusetts
    Posts
    15,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by professorchaos View Post
    I'd recommend not letting accumulate in the first place. A good rinse and wipe will prevent it from building up in the first place.
    +1 here.
    Regards, Paul

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Calgary Canada
    Posts
    208

    Default

    If your stropping after shaving youll undo any small damage done by wiping any scum off.
    Born to Lose, Live to Win

  13. #13

    Default

    I just keep a clean white soft 100% cotton T-shirt on my towel rack, both for cleaning my glass lenses as well as wiping down my razors after I rinse them under running water. It is so soft it will never damage a blade or an edge yet will clean all surface residue from the blade. Then just swap it out with a clean t-shirt every week or two.

    But in spite of this, I notice some blades that have a soap scum stain right at the edge. They must get stained during the shaving process rather than after, as I always clean and polish my blades with soft cloth after use. It doesn't hurt anything, so I have just always left it, not wanting to use metal polish or mild abrasives that close to the edge. I too may try some of those liquid solutions in a bottle, but I don't know that they will remove a stain and some solutions are bad for metal temper as I understand it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KindestCutofAll View Post
    I'm going try the alcohol and .5% oil mixture. It was recommended to me elsewhere.

    Currently I rinse in hot water, then wipe parallel using a hand towel. Been using this process for a year and haven't even cut a hand towel. Never any damage to the blade.
    Hey can you expand on that. Never heard of this - any kind of oil and alcohol?

    *EDIT* looking at those towels, I saw this - http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...72/8421428.htm


    I wonder how that this stuff would be? It says it inhibits rust too!! Woot?
    Last edited by Earcutter; 03-20-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    - David

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmotley View Post
    Barber's towel/shaving towel/whatever....

    http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...972/508815.htm

    They're fantastic.
    Cool towels mrmotley - think I'll give em a shot next order. They look like they could be used to strop with too lol!! Are they absorbant?
    - David

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    368
    Images
    3
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Earcutter View Post
    Cool towels mrmotley - think I'll give em a shot next order. They look like they could be used to strop with too lol!! Are they absorbant?
    They are. They're a good size, easy to launder, capable of being heated/steamed if you so desire, and a good absorbent texture. I bought 12 of them about 3 years ago and all of them have withstood use with time. I like them too because I can lay one flat on my countertop and it is like stropping on cotton as they are relatively thin.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    368
    Images
    3
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stonehenge View Post
    But in spite of this, I notice some blades that have a soap scum stain right at the edge. They must get stained during the shaving process rather than after, as I always clean and polish my blades with soft cloth after use. It doesn't hurt anything, so I have just always left it, not wanting to use metal polish or mild abrasives that close to the edge.
    That's the scum I'm talking about. I take the precautions that everyone else does - drying, wiping, etc. It is just the scum right next to the edge and was hoping there was some agent I could periodically dip the razor in that would dissolve it. As I noted above, a member in this post (post #9) uses 4 parts denatured alcohol and 1 part mineral oil. I was trying to see if anyone else had used this concoction or something similar.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Smallest State
    Posts
    7,522
    Images
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by professorchaos View Post
    I'd recommend not letting accumulate in the first place. A good rinse and wipe will prevent it from building up in the first place.
    Agree

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmotley View Post
    After shaving my routine is to run the blade under hot water, promptly strop it lightly on a barber's towel, then wipe it parallel from heel to toe and, if needed, wipe around the pivot and inside the scales with a tissue, then give it 5-10 light laps on leather and return it to its sheath (the ugly ones that Jarrod sells that function beautifully).

    Regardless, over time I get scum buildup within a few mm of the edge, largely because I don't attempt to wipe that close to the edge.
    I like the towels

Similar Threads

  1. Soap scum on my Merkur
    By dgcrell in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-13-2013, 01:59 PM
  2. Stubborn soap scum
    By aceinyerface in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-29-2011, 02:32 PM
  3. Soap scum?
    By sofauxboho in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 07:49 PM
  4. Soap users (in shower), how do you deal with soap scum?
    By rafikz in forum Skin, Body & Hair Care
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 11:51 AM
  5. Soap Scum Removal from Gold Razors
    By DunEdinRanger in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 07:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.