What's new

Recommend a pen

So, I have a Rotring 600 in M. Love it but I wish it had a F nib. I also have a Rotring Initial in F and I do love it, but I prefer to hold and use the 600.

Whatever, that's just background.

Anyway, I'm thinking about a new pen. I have obsessed over the Pilot VP for years but have never been able to convince myself to drop the cash. I think I would get a F nib.

Now, I'm looking at the TWSBI 540. Love the looks of it. Price is right. What nib though? I'm thinking F... I'm an engineer by trade, and I can't stand stub nibs, broad nibs, flex nibs... I want my lettering fine and consistent. I am also liking the Pilot Prera, an I have always loved the Lamy 2000. I know I'm kinda all over the place on price, but of these 4, which one should I consider? I'm kinda back and forth between the VP and the 540 right now. I really just wish I could get a F nib for my 600, but that's a pipe dream.

Jeff

It's all personal preference at this stage, but I am considering a Lamy 2000 at this moment, and it would be my pick of the ones you mentioned (MAYBE aside from the VP, but thats a whole other price level). I, too, am an engineer. While I like neat legible writing I intend to get a small-medium cursive italic ground into the Lamy for some line variation. Maybe a 0.7.

Of the four the OP listed, I only have the TWSBI. It's a great pen, and smart choice. I tried the F nib, but then bought a B nib and sent it to be ground to a 0.6 CI nib. It's one of may favorite writers! I have the clear Demo filled with Waterman's Florida Blue and it looks fantastic!

In general, if you're looking for fine, consistent lettering (the kind desired by engineers, I imagine), I would really focus on the Japanese pens. Their fine nibs are very fine -- extra-fine by western standards -- and are consistent. Pilot in particular makes fantastic fine nibs. German nibs, on the other hand, tend to run wider and are less consistent. Just my experience.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In general, if you're looking for fine, consistent lettering (the kind desired by engineers, I imagine), I would really focus on the Japanese pens. Their fine nibs are very fine -- extra-fine by western standards -- and are consistent. Pilot in particular makes fantastic fine nibs. German nibs, on the other hand, tend to run wider and are less consistent. Just my experience.

Ditto ... and a vote for Sailor nibs. They make a "double-extra-fine" that ... well, it's so fine that they send along a little tool for taking out the paper fibers that can get trapped in the nib point if you press too hard. That may actually be too fine for your needs, unless you want to make tiny notes in margins or supremely thin lines.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys... I still think I'm considering a Fine though - especially in an asian make if it will tend to be finer than a european maker. My Rotring Initial is a F nib, and I love it. EF would work too, but I have no complaints with this F. If the European nibs are typically broader for a given size than Asian nibs, then I would expect a F Asian nib to hit the sweet spot for me?

Are the TWSBI nibs in line with the Japanese nibs in width, or are they more like European nibs?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks for all the suggestions guys... I still think I'm considering a Fine though - especially in an asian make if it will tend to be finer than a european maker. My Rotring Initial is a F nib, and I love it. EF would work too, but I have no complaints with this F. If the European nibs are typically broader for a given size than Asian nibs, then I would expect a F Asian nib to hit the sweet spot for me?

Are the TWSBI nibs in line with the Japanese nibs in width, or are they more like European nibs?

IIRC, TWSBI uses German nibs.

Ok, so then I could go with a Fine and probably match the performance of my Rotring Fine, and go with an EF if need be. Thanks.

I was also considering the Pilot Prera. Another great looking demonstrator style pen. Anyone care to compare and contrast the 540 and the Prera? Some online reviews of the two though that the 540 was more substantial in hand and generally a little nicer.

Yeah, I LOVE the 600. They're just priced out of my market now. Ideally I would find someone that has a F or EF nib that wants a M nib and trade. But that's not likely to happen in my lifetime... The 600 isn't that big, in fact, I think it's kinda narrow, but it is heavy and substantial. I actually don't care for the shape of my Initial, although I love the nib on it. It too is a heavy metal pen that feels substantial.

Being as this is B&B and you are an engineer you must get all 4 for comparison and contrast, then report out to the rest of masses to feed the economy stimulus program!!!:001_tt2:

Tom

WOW, talk about "hinky"....I read the title of your post, and without even reading the thread I thought of the Pilot VP. I own one, and was a bit hung up over the price (at first), but that was short lived.

DO IT ! Life's too short, you're going to love it

So here's the update... Sorry 'bout the chicken scratch, but I'm sure you all can understand why I didn't type it...

proxy.php

I absolutely was on the fence about not ordering a clear demonstrator, but now that I have the amber, I absolutely love the pen. The color reminds me of a vintage butterscotch handled brush... I gotta order an Ahab now. Hopefully it will be larger more like the esterbrook. I also need to locate a 9550 or 9555 nib for the ranken-ester that won't break the bank. Heeee-heeee... I think i may have to unload my beloved Rotring 600 now in pursuit of other great pens. Now that I have these I HATE writing with the 600's M nib - It's just way too broad. It's barely passable for me with Waterman ink, but with P.R. it's a mess... Not fun. Too bad because I love that pen otherwise.

Jeff

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So here's the update... Sorry 'bout the chicken scratch, but I'm sure you all can understand why I didn't type it...

proxy.php

I absolutely was on the fence about not ordering a clear demonstrator, but now that I have the amber, I absolutely love the pen. The color reminds me of a vintage butterscotch handled brush... I gotta order an Ahab now. Hopefully it will be larger more like the esterbrook. I also need to locate a 9550 or 9555 nib for the ranken-ester that won't break the bank. Heeee-heeee... I think i may have to unload my beloved Rotring 600 now in pursuit of other great pens. Now that I have these I HATE writing with the 600's M nib - It's just way too broad. It's barely passable for me with Waterman ink, but with P.R. it's a mess... Not fun. Too bad because I love that pen otherwise.

Jeff

The Ahab's are nice and fat. Know now- you will have to pull the nib and feed and scrub that feed well with a toothbrush and soapy water. Once clean and re-assembled, you may have to tinker with feed position to get a good flow. I did this to two Ahabs and my granddaughter's piston flex this weekend and all are writing good. You have to tinker, but the flex nib is really nice.

Top Bottom