What's new

I Smell Dead Badger

It took me three or four treatments over the same number of days to get most all of the funk out of my VDH badger brush from Target. I've been using it every day since I got it and got the funk out. It's a fine brush for $10.

The worst brush I had for funk was a Simpson Chubby 2 in best - that took more than a week to de-funk.

You don't necessarily get away from the funk with a boar, either.

I recall a thread about getting the funk out. I think It involved a soak in a Dawn soap, and borax solution, followed by an overnight with regular shaving soap left on the brush. A quick search did not find it, but I used it a year or so ago and it worked great.

I have never had a Simpson or Kent knot that smelled bad, but my TGN knots were awful in the beginning. One treatment cleaned them up well.

Well the funk is all out. I smell nothing but the sweet smell of eucalyptus from the Bigelow. Having only used vintage brushes and a boar VDH, I was not used to the amount of lather this brush holds.

Now that my RAD is pretty much under control, I need to start reading about other brushes and try a few better quality ones.

I recall a thread about getting the funk out. I think It involved a soak in a Dawn soap, and borax solution, followed by an overnight with regular shaving soap left on the brush. A quick search did not find it, but I used it a year or so ago and it worked great.

I have never had a Simpson or Kent knot that smelled bad, but my TGN knots were awful in the beginning. One treatment cleaned them up well.

Hi there Ski-Patroller,

as usual all the important threads are here :
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...nt-List-of-Shaving-Brushes-quot-Stickies-quot
incl "how to get the funk out" :wink2:.

The VDH was useable today and surprisingly it held more than three passes of lather.

Here is the first brush that I want to re-knot
proxy.php

Very pretty handle!

Top Bottom