What's new

Why a frameback

strop

Now half as wise
Other than the clearly different aesthetic (which I'm not sure yet that I really like) is there any difference in the shave? Is there any difference in the maintainance? Can't water get under the frame and cause problems? How about honing? I assume the geometry is the same, but are they any easier/harder to hone? Thanks for patiently answering a novice question.

Basically, framebacks are awesome!
Shaves like a wedge but much less metal behind the edge, so they are far lighter & easier to mow around.

Often the frame is made form softer steel, so a piece of tape while honing is a good idea.
Other then that, just go for it :thumbsup:

Basically, framebacks are awesome!
Shaves like a wedge but much less metal behind the edge, so they are far lighter & easier to mow around.

Often the frame is made form softer steel, so a piece of tape while honing is a good idea.
Other then that, just go for it :thumbsup:
*(looks around for slash.... )

honed speaks the truth..... i tape pretty much everything i hone.......

*(flinches and looks around for slash again)....

Frame backs are not as easy to hone, but they are not significantly more complex. My experience is on a group of 1 frame back,6 hollow ground, and 1 near wedge.

I am sure that material usage and production methods were a large concern with the evolution of the frame back blade. Up until the later 1800's, early 1900's materials cost much, much more than labor. Now labor often costs much, much more than materials.

Phil

I may be wrong but maybe framebacks were invented at a time where most razors were wedge and near wedge ground and frames allowed the razor to sit at a comfortable angle on the hone without need for much tape.
I could be wrong though.

I may be wrong but maybe framebacks were invented at a time where most razors were wedge and near wedge ground and frames allowed the razor to sit at a comfortable angle on the hone without need for much tape.
I could be wrong though.

Hmmm, well when most razors were wedges we didn't have electrical tape. In fact we didn't have electricity in most places, they shaved by lamp light. Early house wiring was uninsulated knob and tube circuits. So I don't think framebacks were invented to save on tape.

Top Bottom