What's new

Roo Strop that won't break the bank?

Guys, I was looking for a Kangaroo strop to make or buy to experiment with. Tandy Leather was suggested but they want $139.00 for a piece of Roo and I didn't want to invest that much in case I don't like it so do you guys know where I can get a small piece from(I know where to get D rings from) or does anyone make a 21" x 2" Roo strop that doesn't break the bank?

Doesn't Legion craft that very kind of strop?

From what I hear, he hunts them himself with a boomerang, skins 'em, cuts them into strops, then kicks back with a Fosters oil can and throws a couple of shrimp on the barbie....all before noon!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
His workers went on strike picketing for higher boomerang allowances so he had to close up shop. Or so I heard. Either way I think they are out of production for the short term at least.

I don't know about commercially produced 2" strops, but straightrazordesigns has a 3" that goes for $85.

I was at a recent meet up, and Lynn was really giving his a workout and had a lot of praise for it. I was impressed by what I saw in this strop.

Legion

Staff member
Kangaroo leather, especially vegetable tanned (which is what you want, if you can get it) is expensive. The other problem is that 90% of the hides are unsuitable for strop making because they are so full of Small flaws. Kangaroos are not farmed, so they spend their days smashing into barb wire fences, fighting with each other and getting bitten by ticks, all of which leave scars on the thin leather that must be cut around for a strop. It gets kind of wasteful and pricey if you don't have a use for the offcuts. I have seen some cheaper ones being sold in various places, but they seemed to use chrome tanned leather and were not so wasteful when cutting the strips. There is a difference between the leather that is (IMO) strop leather, and the stuff that is made intended for wallets, motorcycle leathers, shoes, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom