What's new

Kiwi checking in- finally

Hi all.
Bin lurking for a few months, but finding all the info I need to get started in the Wiki or by searching- great site this.
Thought id finally introduce myself.
Im Michael from Hamilton in the central north island of New Zealand.
I got into traditional wet shaving due to getting fed up with expensive crappy plastic razors and cartridges and thought there must be a better way.
Then I stumbled across this madness and now im hooked on getting the perfect shave (and buying more products).
Save money traditionally wet shaving- yeah right! :001_tt2:
Ha!
Anyways, having better success after a few months.
The single biggest improvement for me was getting a decent brush and face lathering.
I always thought the key for me was a good lather and the only way I can get this is directly on the face.
Bowl lathering for me produces an airey, rather than creamy lather
I have a Muhle silver tip fibre brush (being synthetic it took a bit of adjustment), and a Muhle R106 razor, and seem to be having the best success with the tallow based soaps Tabac and Speick, and after working my way through a blade sampler pack, the Astra SP seems to be working the best.
We have a great vendor in N.Z- Mancave, where I get my supplies- thank you Steve.

Looking forward to improving shaves, Cheers- Michael.

Welcome Michael, I think there are a number guys on here from New Zealand and several from the West Island. :)

Thanks guys. Trenton, from the smiley face at the end of your post I gather you know there is no West Island? :001_tt2:
Welcome Michael, I think there are a number guys on here from New Zealand and several from the West Island. :)

Thanks guys. Trenton, from the smiley face at the end of your post I gather you know there is no West Island? :001_tt2:
OZ! I have friends from both Countries there usually is a lot of joking going on when we all get together. Some of the stuff is pretty witty. but the North Island, South Island and he is from the West Island had me rolling. He of course was from Australia.

Well its great that he considers Oz part of N.Z. as opposed to the other way round. As you are probably aware there is alot of rivalry between the two countrys with of course N.Z being the best!!:thumbup1:

Show some love for N.Z!!

OZ! I have friends from both Countries there usually is a lot of joking going on when we all get together. Some of the stuff is pretty witty. but the North Island, South Island and he is from the West Island had me rolling. He of course was from Australia.

You got signed up first, but really made an art out of LURKING, it seems. I was born at Palmerston North, myself, but I've spent most of my life in and around Texas. Glad you finally uncloaked!

You got signed up first, but really made an art out of LURKING, it seems. I was born at Palmerston North, myself, but I've spent most of my life in and around Texas. Glad you finally uncloaked!

Ha! Yeah I was so busy just trying to get the hang of a new way of shaving and browsing the forums for answers that I didnt really feel the need to post. Now I kinda got the hang of it I feel I may be able to contribute some ideas.
Got the idea of the name kiwimike from kiwichris on here, altough I havent had any communication with him.
I used to live in Hawera in Taranaki, so Ive been to palmy a few times test driving cars etc :001_unsur Nice place.
Love your avatar- where did you find that?

I was on the Internet before it was the "Web", when it was all ASCII Text, and the 'Net was 98% strictly a north American phenomenon. That was 1991 or so, as I recall. There were no other NZ-born folk around at that time, so I started off with just "Kiwi", and got a lot of flak about being some kind of Chinese fruit.

Long before then, about 1970, I had installed a CB Radio in my car, and used "Kiwi" for an on-air handle, well before Burt Reynolds' and Jackie Gleason's movie "Smokie and the Bandit" gave CB Radio popularity a shot in the arm. Back then, I was often confused with "PeeWee" instead. I looked long and hard for a good avatar, and have several on my hard drive now. This is the one that I prefer of all of them, in spite of the odd coloring.

Good to have you with us, Kiwimike ! As for your airey bowl lather, it sounds like you need (1) more product, or (2) much less water. My bet is less water. I find bowl lathering is best when creams are used, though soaps are also used. TMMV. Put cream in bowl, rinse or soak your brush for 30 seconds, shake most of the water out so that brush is damp, begin swirls in your bowl. At this point, the lather will seem dry. Then slowly add water...very little water... like 8 - 10 drops, then swirl some more, then add 8 -10 drops and swirl some more, then add 8 - 10 drops, etc, etc. Soon your lather will be rich and creamy. Remember, you can always add water, but you cannot remove water. The correct amount of water is key.

Welcome to one from the land of New Zealand. Sorry for this association but I always think of Lord of the Rings and Flight of the Conchords, but I love 'em both. I've met a couple of other N-Zeds, and they rolled their eyes at the mention. So now, I can associate wet shaving with New Zealand also. Sounds like you must have a pretty good source for a variety shaving equipment. Internet or a B&M place?

I was on the Internet before it was the "Web", when it was all ASCII Text, and the 'Net was 98% strictly a north American phenomenon. That was 1991 or so, as I recall. There were no other NZ-born folk around at that time, so I started off with just "Kiwi", and got a lot of flak about being some kind of Chinese fruit.

Long before then, about 1970, I had installed a CB Radio in my car, and used "Kiwi" for an on-air handle, well before Burt Reynolds' and Jackie Gleason's movie "Smokie and the Bandit" gave CB Radio popularity a shot in the arm. Back then, I was often confused with "PeeWee" instead. I looked long and hard for a good avatar, and have several on my hard drive now. This is the one that I prefer of all of them, in spite of the odd coloring.

Just the name 'Kiwi' reminds me of my sadly missed brother whos lives in England and works for a WRC team (world rally championship motorsport).
All the Poms just call him Kiwi. Ha!

Top Bottom