What's new

New blade discovery, ZAZA

Bestshave.net has just started carrying a brand of double edge blades that I've never heard of, ZAZA or Z-A-Z-A. The website description says that they are made in France. That may not be correct, since there is a Turkish company, called the Zaza Group, who say on their website that they were:

"Founded in 1917, we are the oldest existing industrial company in Turkey and the third oldest razor blade and hair clipper factory in the world."

http://www.zazagroup.com.tr/lawsing.htm

I'm temped to get some just for the packaging, which, except for the "Super Stainless", looks like it comes from 1917! And who wouldn't want to have a "GOLD SAFETY RAZOR BLADE".

Attachments

• $z-a-z-a.jpg
    $z-a-z-a.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 977
I included a pack of those in my last order from Bestshave. It's always fun to try new blades, and to get mail from Turkey!

I emailed Bestshave.net a few days ago requesting info on where Zaza's possibly stand in terms of sharpness/smoothness (while understanding that YMMV). No reply yet, and I haven't found any info elsewhere on the web. I'll probably purchase a few in my upcoming order--for velocityboy's very same reasons.

I ordered some last week along with Derby and Tweex sticks.
The blades were a novelty purchase for a friend whose last name is Zaza,
but I got a pack for myself to try.

Bestshave.net has just started carrying a brand of double edge blades that I've never heard of, ZAZA or Z-A-Z-A. The website description says that they are made in France. That may not be correct, since there is a Turkish company, called the Zaza Group, who say on their website that they were:

"Founded in 1917, we are the oldest existing industrial company in Turkey and the third oldest razor blade and hair clipper factory in the world."

http://www.zazagroup.com.tr/lawsing.htm

I'm temped to get some just for the packaging, which, except for the "Super Stainless", looks like it comes from 1917! And who wouldn't want to have a "GOLD SAFETY RAZOR BLADE".
image.tiff

I got a 10 pack in the mail today and I will shave with it tomorrow and tell you how I get on once I'm done. The blade is not gold, I actually thought it would be too! The 10 pack plastic box is red! Very tasty! I will buy in bulk if it cuts the mustard! They have them since last week and they're nearly sold out already! That says a lot! I saw 100 Russian Rapira for €4.58!!! And he has Astras blue and greens for around €6.50 per 100. Unbeatable prices and super service. Half the price you'd pay in Ireland! It's a fantastic site and I buy once a week from them. Try the Acibadem cream and Hobby Olive Oil cream, superb stuff after a shave! The Turks know their stuff when it comes to shaving! Pity they don't stock 7 O'Clock yellows!

The bestshave.net website has been updated to list the ZAZA blades as made in Turkey. They come in a red plastic pack of 10 for $1.26 and are also available in 100 packs for $9.75. As I write this they only have 5 of the 10 packs and 1 of the 100 packs left.

Here's what the 10 blade package looks like - the package says "New" but that seems ironic when you look at the packaging design, which looks more genuinely VINTAGE than any currently manufactured blades of which I'm aware. The design looks like it was done in 1917 when the company started - if you want some blades to display next to your oldest razors, these are the ones:

Attachments

• $zaza-pack10.jpg
    $zaza-pack10.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 834
image.tiff

I got a 10 pack in the mail today and I will shave with it tomorrow and tell you how I get on once I'm done. The blade is not gold, I actually thought it would be too! The 10 pack plastic box is red! Very tasty! I will buy in bulk if it cuts the mustard! They have them since last week and they're nearly sold out already! That says a lot! I saw 100 Russian Rapira for €4.58!!! And he has Astras blue and greens for around €6.50 per 100. Unbeatable prices and super service. Half the price you'd pay in Ireland! It's a fantastic site and I buy once a week from them. Try the Acibadem cream and Hobby Olive Oil cream, superb stuff after a shave! The Turks know their stuff when it comes to shaving! Pity they don't stock 7 O'Clock yellows!

They must be trying to imply a "gold standard" for their blades.

OK here is the verdict on the ZAZA. In short it was terrible! A terrible blade. A terrible shave. I prepped very well as usual. First pass WTG was only ok and it was evident that this blade was not very sharp. Second pass XTG was pretty awful with the blade shimmying like hell. No nicks or cuts I must add but it felt as if it was hopping over the stubble. Third pass ATG was so poor that after a few seconds it became evident that the ZAZA was gonna bust my balls! I had to change it out, no option. I stuck back in a green Astra that I was about to dispose of because it had given 4 great shaves. The well used astra completed the ATG pass with flying colours! Imagine that! The ZAZA may have been a dud but I'm not gonna endure that kind of shave again to find out! That's the ZAZA for you. The packaging looks great but maybe all the glitters isn't gold!!! I'm glad I didn't impulse buy and order a 100 of the suckers! Thanks to the Astra for saving the day!!

Last edited:
OK here is the verdict on the ZAZA. In short it was terrible! A terrible blade. A terrible shave. I prepped very well as usual. First pass WTG was only ok and it was evident that this blade was not very sharp. Second pass XTG was pretty awful with the blade shimmying like hell. No nicks or cuts I must add but it felt as if it was hopping over the stubble. Third pass ATG was so poor that after a few seconds it became evident that the ZAZA was gonna bust my balls! I had to change it out, no option. I stuck back in a green Astra that I was about to dispose of because it had given 4 great shaves. The well used astra completed the ATG pass with flying colours! Imagine that! The ZAZA may have been a dud but I'm not gonna endure that kind of shave again to find out! That's the ZAZA for you. The packaging looks great but maybe all the glitters isn't gold!!! I'm glad I didn't impulse buy and order a 100 of the suckers! Thanks to the Astra for saving the day!!

For some reason, that doesn't stop me from wanting to try one! :biggrin1:

Leave the carton, stuff it anytime with different blades for endless hours of fun.
They should stick to selling the packaging - everyone has his stronger and weaker sides.
I could of predicted the result.

not so great. Kind of dull. gave a really poor shave.

I will try again next week with another blade to give it a fair shake.

The packaging is lovely.

I nearly bought 100 for the box. Worst blade I have tried so far in my DE blade tests. Spent my money on 100 good old Green Astras instead and they were cheaper than the ZAZA! Funny how I used a Derby and I hated that too. I reckon the St. Petersburg blades are the best. 7 O'Clock, Astra, etc. always work well and give a great shave. Some Lords are good like ASCO red & blue which gave a super shave. It's a lot of fun no matter what way you go about it! Beats the multiblade cartridge racket anyday!

I'll betcha these blades were meant for women more than men. If a blade isn't sharp enough for whiskers, that's not to say it can't handle some softer fuzz.

Top Bottom