What's new

Bevel setting...

i know this is a ymmv question but... Approximately how many half strokes on a dmt 1200 should i begin feeling results? This is from running the edge over the edge of a glass jar.

If you are only beginning, don't use half strokes. Use X strokes only for the first 10-20 razors or so, you will be much more successful. Was the razor shaving prior to the glass treatment, or is this a vintage/eBay type razor? Either way, do x strokes in 10-20 sets, and check with a TNT, or AHT. If you can pass both, your bevel is set.

Noone actually believes it, but this question cannot be answered correctly. You don't know how many you will need, because it depends solely on the razors condition. If it was shaving before, than you can get away with 20-30, but if it is a 7/8 Sheffield wedge, that has tremendous spinewear, and has been abused in the last 40 years, than you could do a few houndred and nothing would happen.

i know this is a ymmv question but... Approximately how many half strokes on a dmt 1200 should i begin feeling results? This is from running the edge over the edge of a glass jar.
As many as it takes.

But if you had a shave ready razor that is just dull, then there is no need to go down to a 1200.

If you are restoring a razors bevel after bread knifing then it may take some time, how long. That would depend on the steel, grind, is the DMT worn, etc, etc, etc. Really way too many variable to give an accurate answer.

If you are only beginning, don't use half strokes. Use X strokes only for the first 10-20 razors or so, you will be much more successful. Was the razor shaving prior to the glass treatment, or is this a vintage/eBay type razor? Either way, do x strokes in 10-20 sets, and check with a TNT, or AHT. If you can pass both, your bevel is set.

Noone actually believes it, but this question cannot be answered correctly. You don't know how many you will need, because it depends solely on the razors condition. If it was shaving before, than you can get away with 20-30, but if it is a 7/8 Sheffield wedge, that has tremendous spinewear, and has been abused in the last 40 years, than you could do a few houndred and nothing would happen.

+ 1000, I agree 100%

+1 It takes as long as it takes. No hard number can be provided.

Instead of thinking in numbers, start observing what's happening to the edge. I find using a microscope and a small LED light to shine on the edge at different angles while looking under the microscope helps tremendously. The scratch pattern and how the light bounces off the edge will be a good indicator of your progress (one of many ways). Of course this takes a long time to figure out what you're looking for.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A pic would help, and more info. Remember that your pocketknife should easily shave arm hair off a 325 grit. You are using 1200. So shaving arm hair easy is just the beginning. You should get a reaction with the thumbnail test along the entire blade. You should see the bevel all the way out to the edge reflecting as a single perfectly flat surface. A half dozen strokes on one side should give you a burr that you can detect along the entire edge. (if you do this test then you have to hone away the burr and waste a little steel) You shouold be able to paint the bevel with a sharpie, take one or two strokes, and not find a bit of ink at the edge. You should not under any circumstances see any reflection from any spot of the upturned edge. The number of laps that this will take will vary wildly, and the standard bevel tests are your only real clue. But the DMT is a fast cutter and a sharp blade that has been (gently) bottled should not take more than maybe 5 dozen laps, tops. A well rounded edge will take many more than that. If the edge was not far gone and you had not bottled it, maybe only 2-3 dozen laps would do it. Basically, as others have said, the answer is, "depends". I have gone several hundred laps on a 300 grit plate, for extremely damaged razors. Does not really answering your question answer your question?

Top Bottom