What's new

Cracked and Torn Lips

I've been having problems. I keep getting tears at each corner of my mouth, where my upper lip and lower lip meet at either side of my mouth. There are tears at both sides and has been for almost 10 days. I've been putting Neosporin and Blistex Lip Medix on constantly and they still aren't healing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tim, I've been told that tears at the sides of the mouth indicate some kind of vitamin shortage. Maybe it's a myth, so perhaps the physicians on the board could chime in?

Obviously, you need to work on your kissing style. Either quit moochin' with your dog, or tell your wife/girlfriend to shave.

Alternatively, try and remember that your razors (especially the open-comb models) are for external use, only.

:tongue:

Are you putting the Blistex/Carmex/whatever on before you go to bed (rather than just applying it during the day)? Usually, that does the trick... if not, this might be a job for a dermatologist.

I have had the same problem, and it is terrible and painful. In my case, all the OTC remedies just make it worse. Best results came from occluding the areas with simple Vaseline. Good luck.

I sometimes get this in colder months - it sucks. I usually can get by using those little tubs of Carmex, just be sure to apply it throughout the day and before bed. I've also heard good things about Burt's Bees lip balm - some people swear buy it.
I have also seen lip balm products w/ shea butter in them - I think Institut Karite and L'Occitaine offer them. Lee's Razors just added some lip balm products to his site - I don't know much about them though.

Once you do get the area healed, you should probably keep moisturizing them through the winter to try and prevent it from happening again. I hate winter...

Bag Balm. Sounds horrible, but this stuff works extremely well. Just try to keep it out of your mouth. It's not poisonous, but probably doesn't taste too good. My personal physician has recommended it for similar external applications. If you can't get it, I'll send some to you. Similar consistancy to Vasilene, but has better healing properties.

http://www.bagbalm.com/

Good luck,

jim

Bag Balm. Sounds horrible, but this stuff works extremely well. Just try to keep it out of your mouth. It's not poisonous, but probably doesn't taste too good. My personal physician has recommended it for similar external applications. If you can't get it, I'll send some to you. Similar consistancy to Vasilene, but has better healing properties.

http://www.bagbalm.com/

Good luck,

jim

Wee use this on our daughter's eczema patches. Works pretty well - it is like vaseline but has lanolin in it. You can find it in places like CVS, Walgreeens, etc. It's cheap too.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Whatever you do, do it before winter sets in, as it will only make it worse.

www.ilovechickenpoop.com

My mom gave me a tube of this as a joke but it actually works well and I love the spicy lavender scent!

That is true. Many people lick their lips thinking it will moisturize them when in fact, it dries their lips out.

The ladies always commented on how soft my lips were as if as a guy, it were unexpected. For me, I've noticed that if I'm dehydrated, dry lips can be a sign. I drink plenty of water and I use lip balm constantly throughout the day. Actually, lip balm is one of those things I never leave the house without. Phone, wallet, keys, lip balm.

It's a tough world out there. If my soft lips can give but one beautiful woman some inspiration to keep going, then I've done my job.. for that day.:001_tt2:

I also have a small crack in the corner of my mouth. I've had these before but it's been several years. I usually jusy apply a little neosporin before I go to bed and make certain I don't get lazy and skip a tooth brushing session. It usually goes away in 4 or 5 days.

I did find this on the net from a med site.

"Angular cheilitis

Angular cheilitis (also called perlèche, cheilosis, or stomatitis) is a condition with deep cracks and splits at the corners of the mouth. If severe, the splits or cracks may bleed when the mouth is opened and a shallow ulcer or a crust may form.

Possible causes of angular cheilitis include:

Infection. Fungal infections are the most common, but viral or bacterial infections can also occur.
Nutritional deficiency of vitamin B.
Over-closure of the mouth in someone who has been without teeth or dentures for some time.
In young children, the cracks and splits often begin with lip-licking, biting the corners of the mouth, or thumb-sucking.

Treatment depends on the cause and can include lip lubrication, antifungal and antibiotic medication, vitamins, and dentures for a person without teeth".

M

modern man

OH MAN, do I have some off color comments. :001_tt2:

I have never had a problem with this, maybe you are doing too much to fix the problem.

I also have a small crack in the corner of my mouth. I've had these before but it's been several years. I usually jusy apply a little neosporin before I go to bed and make certain I don't get lazy and skip a tooth brushing session. It usually goes away in 4 or 5 days.

I did find this on the net from a med site.

"Angular cheilitis

Angular cheilitis (also called perlèche, cheilosis, or stomatitis) is a condition with deep cracks and splits at the corners of the mouth. If severe, the splits or cracks may bleed when the mouth is opened and a shallow ulcer or a crust may form.

Possible causes of angular cheilitis include:

Infection. Fungal infections are the most common, but viral or bacterial infections can also occur.
Nutritional deficiency of vitamin B.
Over-closure of the mouth in someone who has been without teeth or dentures for some time.
In young children, the cracks and splits often begin with lip-licking, biting the corners of the mouth, or thumb-sucking.

Treatment depends on the cause and can include lip lubrication, antifungal and antibiotic medication, vitamins, and dentures for a person without teeth".

Get some Marmite. Yummy.:001_smile

Tim, I've been told that tears at the sides of the mouth indicate some kind of vitamin shortage. Maybe it's a myth, so perhaps the physicians on the board could chime in?
Take a heavy dose of B-Complex Vitamins and extra Vitamin C. Personally, I think that Carmex is the best of all of the topicals.

Carmex is always helpful to me in these cases, I put a large dab on the affected area and try to avoid rubbing it off, and re-apply as I remember to. The issue is typically gone in a few days. Best of luck.

J

Top Bottom