What's new

Pat. Apld. For

very nice i had one for a while too. its from 1903/1904 - cant peg down the year unfortunetly. but as noted before, it means you have one of the first 55,000 razors ever made by Gillette (they started using serial numbers in 1905). i loved mine, great shaver, but the history is what makes it cool. just the mystery of knowing the razor in your hand could have been one of the first 50 or so that went out in 1903...who knows you could have #1 of the line...very cool

So, when you find a swell razor like that, what are you supposed to do with it? Do you clean it and polish it? Do you leave it in it's present condition? Do you use it? Do you put it up for everybody to admire? I'm unclear. Seems like a shame not to give it a test drive.

So, when you find a swell razor like that, what are you supposed to do with it? Do you clean it and polish it? Do you leave it in it's present condition? Do you use it? Do you put it up for everybody to admire? I'm unclear. Seems like a shame not to give it a test drive.

when i got mine i polished up to till it looked brand new and shaved with it a few times before i sold it. very cool using a razor that old!

I'm sure I will take it for a spin just to be able to say that I shaved with one if nothing else.

Legion

Staff member

I used mine once, just to say I had, then put it away. If you like that style of razor a single ring shaves exactly the same, and you won't cry for as long if you drop it.

very nice i had one for a while too. its from 1903/1904 - cant peg down the year unfortunetly. but as noted before, it means you have one of the first 55,000 razors ever made by Gillette (they started using serial numbers in 1905). i loved mine, great shaver, but the history is what makes it cool. just the mystery of knowing the razor in your hand could have been one of the first 50 or so that went out in 1903...who knows you could have #1 of the line...very cool
they started using numbers in 1904

I used mine once, just to say I had, then put it away. If you like that style of razor a single ring shaves exactly the same, and you won't cry for as long if you drop it.

Good advice...Thanks.
(Plus the perfect excuse for picking up a single ring.)

I did the same with mine..not much reason to shave with it regularly since single ring will do the same. You'll be right at home with it, as it's a shallow angle shaver..even a tad more so than the Feather.

That said, Tom, I gotta rib you a little bit. You've been on here since 2009, and almost 2000 posts, and you didn't recognize that as double ring (and out of the corner of your eye at 100 yards)? That takes some doing..... :lol:

Ug, I used my 500th post to rib somebody..bad timing! :)
Good advice...Thanks.
(Plus the perfect excuse for picking up a single ring.)

Last edited:
I did the same with mine..not much reason to shave with it regularly since single ring will do the same. You'll be right at home with it, as it's a shallow angle shaver..even a tad more so than the Feather.

That said, Tom, I gotta rib you a little bit. You've been on here since 2009, and almost 2000 posts, and you didn't recognize that as double ring (and out of the corner of your eye at 100 yards)? That takes some doing..... :lol:

Ug, I used my 500th post to rib somebody..bad timing! :)

Guilty as charged. I must admit to a myopic view of Gillette razors to date. The 40s - 50s have always caught my eye.

That said, Tom, I gotta rib you a little bit. You've been on here since 2009, and almost 2000 posts, and you didn't recognize that as double ring (and out of the corner of your eye at 100 yards)? That takes some doing..... QUOTE]

James, I don't know if he should keep it or not, you know? It isn't even close to 40s or 50s razor, and he DIDN'T know what it was. I think he should pass it on to someone who would apprectiate it. Like, I don't know, me!:sneaky2:

Top Bottom