What's new

Cream Troubles

Hello Gents

I seem to be having some troubles with Taylors Brand Creams vs Col Conks soaps.

Heres the deal I seem to get a lot less irritaion using the soaps than I do the creams. I understand it could just be the brand of cream but it seems Taylors is highly recommended. I also enjoy the scents of the creams more than the Col Conk soaps.

On to the situation:

Gear: Col Conks Pure Badger Brush, a Gillette Super Speed DE with Merkur Blade.

I prep pretty much like everyone else with a shower while my brush is sitting in some hot water.

I have used the Hair conditioner trick and it doesn't make much of a difference. I am conscience of blade angle and pressure too.

With the cream I make 2 passes first n-s then 2nd is ear to jaw above the line and n-s on the neck. thats all my face can stand its on fire after the second pass.

With the Soap I can get the 2 passes in easily and then can do a third pass s-n on the outsides of my throat and cheeks and n-s on the lip and chin and throat directly under my chin.

I think thats about it if anyone can give any sugesstions or if you need more info on my technique then please reply.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Jon,

Which cream are you using? It may simply be that something in that particular cream is causing an "allergic" reaction. Also, my first shaves with Taylor's were not that good...a real bloodletting. I learned that I was not infusing enough water. Since I increase my water content with Taylor's, the shaves are great!

Randy

I have samples of Taylors Lemon/Lime, Lavender. and I have a full tub ofthe Sandalwood. They all reacted the same

Thank you for the advise i will give the creams another shot with more water and I'll try to test it for a few more days

Thanks,

Jon

i love taylors, but perhaps there is a common ingredient amongst their product line that your face just doesn't enjoy.

try sticking to the soap for a few weeks, then on a random day throw on the cream and see what happens.

Good suggestions thus far. I might also recommend trying to use more cream - very often this causes lather that is not lubricating enough. For samples, I get maybe two uses out of them when I use the right amount to produce high-quality lather. Next time try doubling up on the cream and see what happens.

Again, Taylors may just not be right for your face - everyone is different. For instance, many love Trumpers creams, but I can't get a good shave out of them.

Jon_M said:
I have samples of Taylors Lemon/Lime, Lavender. and I have a full tub ofthe Sandalwood. They all reacted the same

Thank you for the advise i will give the creams another shot with more water and I'll try to test it for a few more days

Thanks,

Jon
Jon,
I have never received a "sample" of taylor's that wasn't extremely crappy. I think it has something to do with the creams being dried out. As such, I really liked the scent of the Taylor's Shave Shop so I purchased a tub anyway. The tub of Taylor's perfomed much better than the sample did. Don't let the samples fool you. Taylors is the real deal and is one of the best creams in my opinion.

I agree that Taylors shave creams are quite good. However, the samples I have received and used are terrible. It really seems that with Taylors you have to take a chance and make a purchase rather than base a decision on a sample.

The thing is, this seems quite a bad way for Taylors to operate. If they are going to ship samples of poor quality, upon which people will base future purchases, they are surely better off simply not providing samples. Of course, perhaps they have no idea that their samples do not measure up to what is in the jars...

Thank you everyone for the responses

That is unfortunate about the quality of Taylors samples

I am going to take Robofunks advise and just stick to the soap for this week and then on Sunday (New blade day for my shave before Church) switch to the tub of Taylors Sandalwood and double the amount of cream and see where it gets me.
Thanks again

jon

just wanted to let you guys know that after using the Col Conks soaps and just doing 2 N-S pases for a week and letting my face recover I tried the Taylors Sandalwood Cream again. I basically increased everything the amount of cream, the amount of water, and the amount of time I took to make the lather and ended up with a very good shave :):):)

Thank you all for the Great advise!!!

Jon

Jon_M said:
just wanted to let you guys know that after using the Col Conks soaps and just doing 2 N-S pases for a week and letting my face recover I tried the Taylors Sandalwood Cream again. I basically increased everything the amount of cream, the amount of water, and the amount of time I took to make the lather and ended up with a very good shave :):):)

Thank you all for the Great advise!!!

Jon

More of everything - here, here! Glad it worked out for you.

Top Bottom