What's new

Question to all you adjustable shavers...

How do yous shave with your adjustable?

• I stick to one setting all passes and the whole shave through.

• I start with a more agressive setting for the first passes. Then turn it down.

• I start with a milder setting for the first passes. Then turn it up.

Results are only viewable after voting.
When shaving with an adjustable razor. Do you change setting "mid flight" or stick to only one? From agressive to mild or vice versa?

Curious to see what the most preferred way is!

As The Most Interesting Man in The World might say...

I don't always use an adjustable razor, but when I do, it's set on 7....stay shaving my friends, stay shaving:001_tt2:

I usually do my first pass at 5, my second at 7, and my third and fourth at 8 and 9 - except for my neck which never goes above 7 or if I feel the need, an 8. I am willing to do an extra pass so I get a smooth shave rather use a more aggressive setting for every pass and risk irritation even though with one less pass. This is the same method (although not the settings) Mantic 59 uses. See http://sharpologist.com/2010/03/an-adjustable-razor-sweet-spot.html

The reason I increase my settings is that the first pass gets the bulk of the stubble without any irritation. The subsequent passes are for more beard reduction and that is accomplished with a higher setting. However, if I get what I want after three passes then I stop.

My neck area is sensitive and so I dial down for that area. Also, if I shave in the a.m. and find I have an evening appointment I dial down shave at a lower number allows me to look presentable without the risk of irritation.

Depends on the shave... Like tonight I was using a 4 and didn't feel aggressive enough so bumped it up to 6... But some nights I do the opposite...

Shaving isn't rocket surgery. Changing the setting inbetween passes just sounds like too much hassle. I just go by feel and adjust the angle of the razor as I go.

sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on how the shave is going. That is the nice thing about an adjustable... IT'S ADJUSTABLE :lol:

I used to change my settings mid-flight,but the Futur can be dangerous so I stopped.If I had a Progress or Fatboy I'd change.

Still getting used to mine. So far I start at a higher setting and lower it for the last (ATG) pass and buffing. I will eventually try doing the exact opposite, just to satisfy my curiosity, since others here are doing that. I like being able to adjust.

Last edited:
For all my adjustables I do 3 passes - WTG, XTG and ATG - on #5, then a final ATG pass with some buffing on #7. Works well with them all.

It depends.
If I had not shaved for a few days, I would set my Slim adj. to 9 and do all three passes at that level.
If I am shaving daily, I would set my slim to about 5 and dial down on each pass.

Top Bottom