What's new

How close is close.....how smooth should it be??

Been DE shaving around 2 months..it's been a nice method for me and I'm happy with the results. In the last week I have gotten some minor razor burn on my neck. It seems to me that I have been trying to get my face to a closer shave more and more.....or as smooth as possible without any grain feeling......Anyways my question is how smooth should your face be after you shave??...should you be able to feel any grain growth on your face....or should it feel like a babies bottom. I realize my razor burn is from to many passes and to much pressure. Must admit... I can't wait every morning to lather up...I love my smooth face and all of the new smells!!:w00t:

That's a good question - "How close is close enough" ?

You may want to consider shaving the neck less agressively than the jawline and rest of the face. The skin on your neck is thinner and more prone to what you have observed. perhaps 3 passes on the face and only two on the neck. Then do a few touch-ups as needed.

- Just a thought

I prefer to look at it from a different direction. I first decide how many passes I want to do, based on why I'm shaving and how much time I have.
I accept the final result and don't do touch-ups. If it isn't as good as I hoped, I need to learn from it and do better next time.
I normally do 3 passes, which usually leaves me BBS where it matters.
If rushed, and I shaved the previous day, I know a single-pass shave will leave me looking perfectly presentable. (Somebody once put forward the idea of beard reduction over a period of days, which is an interesting way to look at it.)

I prefer to look at it from a different direction. I first decide how many passes I want to do, based on why I'm shaving and how much time I have.
I accept the final result and don't do touch-ups. If it isn't as good as I hoped, I need to learn from it and do better next time.
I normally do 3 passes, which usually leaves me BBS where it matters.
If rushed, and I shaved the previous day, I know a single-pass shave will leave me looking perfectly presentable. (Somebody once put forward the idea of beard reduction over a period of days, which is an interesting way to look at it.)

+1 Good Points!

You may want to consider shaving the neck less agressively than the jawline and rest of the face. The skin on your neck is thinner and more prone to what you have observed. perhaps 3 passes on the face and only two on the neck. Then do a few touch-ups as needed.

- Just a thought

Good reply...my upper part of my face always shaves closer then my neck area..I have also noticed that most of my beard growth travel from the left to the right....even ay my neck area.....is this common..???...I always shave straight down my whole face first then ATG (right to left) all over..

strop

Now half as wise
How close it "should be" is really up to you. I usually get pretty close to BBS all over except maybe a couple of spots low on my neck, so no stubble to be felt going against the grain. Is it necessary? It is for me, but not always for everyone.

It sounds as if you're actually going XTG on your neck if it grow E-W and you're going N-S. I think we can underestimate the power of that good WTG pass for beard reduction. It really sets up the XTG and ATG. If what is happening is XTG and ATG, then even though you're only doing two passes, it's a set up for razor burn!

And Welcome to B&B!

Do you use an aftershave balm? If not, you should try this. It really helps when you do a little too much and get irritation. You should be able to find Nivea sensitive aftershave balm at most markets in your local area.

This will not cure your problem but it will make you feel a lot better while you are learning.

I seem to have about the same problem. Whiskers grow N-S everywhere except my lower neck where it shifts and grows from the middle out. Nothing I have done in terms of technique has completely gotten rid of minor irritation. I do 3 passes WTG, XTG, XTG with pretty good results in the smoothness category. Thayers witch hazel has been a huge help in keeping the redness down.

- Just a thought

+1 and you may consider using unrefined Shea butter to help with the razor burn. Fabulous stuff!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
As close as you want it to be. You need to ask yourself if BBS is worth the irritation you seem to get; in my opinion, BBS is NOT worth ANY irritation. I get as close as I can with 2 passes and some touchup, and NO irritation, and mostly get so close to BBS as to make no difference. I think the main cause of irritation is trying to get BBS all the time, going for 3, 4, 5 passes (far too many IMO). You should be able to get pretty close with 2 passes. Work on your technique, work on your lather, and you will get there.

As close as you want it to be. You need to ask yourself if BBS is worth the irritation you seem to get; in my opinion, BBS is NOT worth ANY irritation. I get as close as I can with 2 passes and some touchup, and NO irritation, and mostly get so close to BBS as to make no difference. I think the main cause of irritation is trying to get BBS all the time, going for 3, 4, 5 passes (far too many IMO). You should be able to get pretty close with 2 passes. Work on your technique, work on your lather, and you will get there.

Agree. BBS is way overrated. The first goal should be to shave with NO IRRITATION. I only do a two pass shave, myself.

I shave mostly with two passes and touch up/buffing...a sorta combo WTG/XTG (sorta a V like manic demos) and ATG and get a BBS shave. I personally don't want to feel any stubble when I rub my face against the grain....My biggest help with less irritation.... better prep...and a biggie....making my lather more "wet"...not thin, just adding more water than I use to add....one of my problems was thinking my lather should look like can goo....my lather is thick...will easily keep my brush standing up in my mug...but it is far more wet than it use to be....I also alternate face lathering and just give my brush a turn over and very light shake...more water on the face translates to a better shave for me.

"How close is close enough?" is really a question you should be asking yourself. How close do you want your shave to be and, perhaps more importantly, how close of a shave can your face handle? I personally cannot do any sort of XTG or ATG pass on my neck, regardless of lather quality, technique, pressure, or any other factor. My neck just doesn't like it. So I'm more than happy (and presentable) with two WTG passes daily. Just keep playing around until you find something that works for you.

If I want it really really smooth and I have alot of stubble,ill usually go over it really quick with my t-blade Wahl trimmer or my electric foil shaver first.That makes it easier to get it closer with minimal passes.

Great replies...I have had some great shaves since I've made the switch to DE shaving. My razor burn issue is due to my obsession with trying to get a smooth stub feel neck area....which I can do with ease on my upper face area. I always wash my face...then apply a hot moist towel over a lathered face....then I rise and re-lather up. I'm using pre and post Old Bond products...along with some Poraso products. I believe the prep is important...but as I mentioned above my razor burn is from to many passes and to much pressure on my neck. I guess I have to relax when I shave and think what I'm doing....SLOW IT DOWN...

+1

Although I do 3 passes.

+1

Although I do 3 passes.

Well I just finish shaving...went great..no rash...used the Poraso cream and aftershave..I paid attention on the pressure....but still kinda of over did it on the passes...I directed the blade N to S..then..S to N..and across S to W and W to S several times...I look great and feels like a babies butt!!..my neck area is smooth but I can still feel some stubs...enough is enough

You only "need" to shave close enough to look presentable until 5pm.
If you feel the need - and have the ability - to shave closer than that without cuts or irritation then go for it, but be honest enough to admit you're doing it because it's fun, not because it's necessary. :)

+1 I'm with you. I never do more than 2 passes--and it's usually BBS in most areas.

Top Bottom