What's new

Joseph Smith & Sons, Celebrated Razor 3415

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I recenlty picked up a Joseph Smith & Sons, Celebrated Razor 3415.
Wonder if anyone could shed light on the 3415 or the blade etching I STAND?

A couple interests of note –
the shank is marked Joseph Smith & Sons, Celebrated Razor 3415
I have not identified any documentation as to the significance of this number 3415

The blade had beautiful engravings;
On the left it read Laminated Steel
On the right it read Shaving Razor
In the center, the text was difficult to discern, but looks like I STAND A No 1, or I STAND A NOT

I do not know what to make of this. Any ideas?

Below the STAND it read
manufactured by
Sheffield

Scales were translucent horn, the blade is 7/8 near wedge with barbers notch.

Any ideas about the 3415 or I STAND would be welcomed.

In removing the rust, I lost the blade etching, but tonight I hope to set it in some new black horn scales.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sheffield Directory of 1852 and 1857:
Smith Joseph & Son, razor manufacturers, 40 Radford street

Uniclectica:
J SMITH & SON, Arundel Street, Sheffield, in business in 1828

Robert Doyle's Straight Razor Collecting:
Joseph Smith & Sons in business from 1830 to 1860

Freedom Books of Hallamshire Cutlers:
A. Smith Joseph, son of Isaac, to Isaac, Stannington, razor maker, Freedom 1810;

The Company of Cutlers recorded the apprenticeship of Joseph Smith to his father, Isaac Smith, a razor maker in Stannington. Joseph was granted his Freedom in 1810. He first appeared in a Sheffield directory in 1833, trading from Radford Street. By 1852, the enterprise became "& Son" - presumably with the addition of Joseph's son, John. The enterprise employed ten men and three boys. By the late 1870s, it had moved to Solly Street. The trademark was "Joseph Smith & Sons, Celebrated Razors", above "3415". By 1887, the name and mark had been acquired by Joseph Allen & Sons.

Based on the above citations, and on the general shape of this razor, I estimate the age between 1860-1880.

Last edited:
Top Bottom