What's new

Anyone up for a 1912 Pass Around?

You guys that have never used an SE before really need to be careful. The unthinkable can happen when using an SE for the first few times. It happened to me and a few fellows I know. What am I talking about? "cuts?" No......
High probability you will enjoy the superior shave a SE can provide, and before you know it your DE collection will go unused.
Enjoy the passaround Gents, I wont be entering of course.

WOW....

I was not excepting this. I love this razor, OMG, it has jumped to the top of my list, better than my R41, better than my NEW, anything.

On Sundays I only shave once, usually around 2:30. Took a shower, no special prep work. Loaded the Vie-Long horse hair with VDH, squeezed about a toothbrush amount of Derby cream into mug, guessed on water and built an overflowing amount of lather.

Lather was thick and creamy, allowed to sit on whiskers for about half a smoke, and put the GEM 1912 to my face.

The first thing I noticed was the oustanding amount of audio feedback. The second was how comfortable the shave was, it just sliced through my course gray whiskers like a hot knife through butter.

Two passes, light buffing, and I have the best shave of my life.

When I exited the shave den, thw wife said to me "so how did you like that old weird looking razor? From here your face looks great". Told her was best shave of my life, she felt my jawline and was like "wow, your face is smoother than when you where in the Corps".

I need to find out a lot more about SE's!!!

Arley, if you liked the 1912, DON'T get an OCMM! You'll get rid of the rest of your razors. On second thought, forget that, I'll trade you my OCMM for the rest of your razors!

Daniel, if you'll pay shipping, I have an OCMM that I will let you borrow if you'd like to compare the shave. The OCMM is the closest thing IMO to the R41 there is. Just PM me if you have any interest.

I have weird facial hair. Where I do have it, it is very thick and wiry. Luckily enough, it does not grow thick accept for the mustache, chin, neck, and jawline.

I just cannot get how good for my beard that razor worked. Best shave yet, the only two razors that get this close is the 2011 R41 and the Parker 97R. Just love it. Would love this head on a BRW handle, plated in nickel, that could replace almost everything.

In fact of anyone has a nice rhodium or nickel replate, or one with custom handle, I am up for a trade, let's talk.

Glad I could help Arley. I think BRW has made a handle for a 1912 before, or someone modded a handle to fit it. I like the 1912, but love the OCMM so much more.

I agree Arley. Try the OCMM before you throw everything at the 1912. If you want, I'll send you mine. I'm using a slant right now.

I agree Arley. Try the OCMM before you throw everything at the 1912. If you want, I'll send you mine. I'm using a slant right now.

Thanks Jonnie...I have the one from Dave on the way. Being in TN, I should get in 1-2 days. I just know that I love, love this 1912.

I kind if guessed at how to put in blade, hopefully was right. If it wasn't, I just got the best shave of my life from an improperly landed razor...crazier event have happened in my life, so anything is possible.

I enjoy hearing SE success stories. I got my first one, a Gem Jr, quite by chance as it was about to be thrown away. That was about 4 months ago and now I've got pretty much everything Gem made from the 1912 and later. I love them all.

TI kind if guessed at how to put in blade, hopefully was right.

They are pretty easy to load. As long as the blade was under the little tabs, you got it right.

Welcome to the Gemocracy! I know you'll hear a lot of recommendations for the OCMM or the Clog-pruf, but the 1912 is a classic for good reason.

If you haven't already, try gripping it between forefinger and thumb right up where the little necked down area is and hold it so it can pivot easily, but tight enough not to drop it. Just rest your pinky against the bottom part of the handle to control it, don't grip. It will balance and pivot very naturally there. it helps keep the angle right and prevents you from putting on pressure. Also, for buffing, this razor is top-notch. Just don't lift on the backstroke and it will lay down a layer of lather nicely for the forward stroke.

Good luck on your OCMM when it gets there.

They are pretty easy to load. As long as the blade was under the little tabs, you got it right.

Welcome to the Gemocracy! I know you'll hear a lot of recommendations for the OCMM or the Clog-pruf, but the 1912 is a classic for good reason.

If you haven't already, try gripping it between forefinger and thumb right up where the little necked down area is and hold it so it can pivot easily, but tight enough not to drop it. Just rest your pinky against the bottom part of the handle to control it, don't grip. It will balance and pivot very naturally there. it helps keep the angle right and prevents you from putting on pressure. Also, for buffing, this razor is top-notch. Just don't lift on the backstroke and it will lay down a layer of lather nicely for the forward stroke.

Good luck on your OCMM when it gets there.

I never would have those that a 1912 would shave this good. I will admit that even now wish that they took DE blades instead of a special blade. I worry for how long SE blades will be available, BUT on the flip side if the ultimate goal is a great shave, then I found it with an old razor.

I held the handle as you stated above and had great results, it just seemed to fall naturally in that position.

This mornings shave was as smooth and effortless as yesterday's, but maybe slightly closer. Usually by this hour I am heading for my evening shave, but not tonight, as I still have a DFS!!!

All this 1912 love has me very interested in SE's....More than one of my BOTOC brothers has urged me to try the OCMM....curious now...very curious....

Only been OC shaving for a week or so but I'm wanting to give the'12 a go. Have had absolutely no problems with my Old Type. PM on the way.

1. JBradley ¥¥¥¥done¥¥¥¥¥
2. Daniel Plainview
3. TOBS 9595
4. Duokun
5. Rhitee9
6. Global_Dev
7. Wallstreet 77
8. Turtle
9. Touchy

Touchy, you've been added. This is more likely. I don't want this back till 2013!!!

I've become quite the SE enthusiast lately, and have been shaving almost exclusively with 1912 models for the past month or two. It's amazing that something patented a hundred years ago works so superbly.

On a couple of the comments above:

I hope SE blades don't go away, especially the really good ones. I think shavers are an insignificant part of that market now and it depends on demands of medical, scientific and craft users.

It should be very easy to make a custom handle for a 1912 type. I might make one of blackwood or rosewood or mopane - all very water-resistant and stable woods. Get a ... what, 3/16"?? stud with the appropriate thread pitch and glue that into a drilled hole, then shape the handle symmetrically to your liking. Use it with any of your 1912 or Damaskeene heads.

So glad somebody is doing a pass-around on it's centennial.

Hey Tom...

I have everything packed up and ready to send out to you, I just need your address.

I have added some soaps and creams, a few of the Ted Pella Blades, some more of the Personna GEM blades that can be purchased at Walgreens, and an old brush.

I am hoping other people add to the traveling set so when Dave gets it back he has more stuff than what he sent out.

I think you will enjoy it, I know it made me an SE convert.

Top Bottom