What's new

Part PIF & Part BST first dibs - complete beginner kit ...

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, I have tried the straight thing for a while, and it did not pull me into its madness. I am very glad I tried it, now I know, but I simply am not that interested/determined to master it. I think I understand its appeal but it is not making me a convert.

I have PIFed quite a bit and I intend to continue providing some of our military guys in the sandbox with lather products, so I'd like to recoup some of my investment in this little venture. However, I was PIFed (well won in a raffle) the razor by Luvmysuper and the Ambrose strop by Price. That must be re-PIFed, of course.

Along the way, I acquired a Tony Miller Heirloom Linen Strop and a Naniwa 12000 finish hone in stand, which I would like to sell in the BST. But it is such a nice beginner kit, I also want to offer it as a set. Sooooo, here's what I've decided to do. Post in here if you would like the razor and strop and I will choose a winner using random.org. I will wrap this up the afternoon of Friday, March 16.

At that point, I will offer the winner the chance to buy the Linen strop and the Naniwa for $95, shipped insured, U.S. (adjusted if international). If they want to keep this kit together as a set, they can do so without having to catch it on the BST, which seems to move at light speed. Blink and it's gone. If they do not want them, I will then post them on the BST.

If someone would like to purchase the linen strop and Naniwa, but is not interested in the PIF, post in here, too. If the razor/strop winner is not interested, I will offer the other two items to those who expressed interest, in the order of their posts. Make sense?

OK, on to the goods for the PIF. Phil kindly offered this razor up at a January Chicago-area mini meet 'n greet in January and I won it in a raffle. The razor is an excellent condition Boker King Cutter, circa 1920-25 I believe, with gold plate still intact and celluloid scales in very good shape. There is very little hone wear evident, this apparently saw very light use. It is shave ready, having been honed by Price and inspected by Mike at TheRestoredRazor.com. I have used it a few times, and honed it on the Naniwa (got a personal lesson from Mike in that, by the way) and stropped it on both the linen and leather. Shave with confidence. The point has been artfully, but lightly eased, it will not dig into your cheek.

The second item in the PIF is the Ambrose strop Price so graciously gave me. I don't know much about it, but I think it is horsehide. It had a plain end, but my hand got tired pulling on it, so I sent it to Tony Miller and he put a Dee-ring on the end of it. He also used the same screws in the linen strop and made it a match to the Ambrose so they look like a set.

Now for the sale part. And the PIF will take place regardless of whether you want this or not, I want to make that clear. The above were given to me and I will give them away and I don't even want you to state if you are interested in the rest. If you win the PIF, you have right of first refusal, and I will ask you. But I want the PIF to be straight up, by the Random number generator, with no question about it being related to the sale in any way.

First is the Tony Miller strop with the genuine linen upgrade. Of course, it is a thing of beauty, wonderfully crafted, and a perfect match for the Ambrose leather strop. They look beautiful hanging together. It is a very dense, tough linen, according to Tony, the perfect cloth counterpart for the leather.

Second is the Naniwa 12000 grit finish hone. I bought this from another member here who replaced it with something else. He lapped it flat and beveled the edges, and it works beautifully. It is not discolored, in the photo I had just touched up the razor on it and part of it is still damp. I would like to keep these together if I can to save on shipping.

Instructions Review: If you want to participate in the PIF drawing for the razor and leather strop, say that without mentioning your interest in the other two items.

If you are NOT interested in the PIF drawing but ARE interested in the other two items, state that. The PIF winner will get right of first refusal on the linen strop and the Naniwa.

Attachments

• $razor (2).jpg
    $razor (2).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 267
  • $Kit.jpg
    $Kit.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 267
  • $_MG_0003.jpg
    $_MG_0003.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 265
  • $_MG_0004.jpg
    $_MG_0004.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Very generous of you! Please count me in on this awesome PIF!

No, it was generous of Phil and Price, I'm just continuing to pay it forward. They started it. I'm a crass capitalist. :wink2:

Anyway, I'm a generous guy, but in this particular case it was Phil and Price being generous. Let's not forget that.

I am not in, just wanted to say that someone is getting a nice setup!

And, yes, it is! This is an all you need for a lifetime of straight shaving kit, that's why I hope to keep it together. With this one need not get into honing, that Naniwa, the linen and the leather should keep that Boker going for life. If the shaver does not drop it, that is.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Please count me in the razor and strop PIF. I really want to give straight shaving a go. Thanks.

I would recommend trying it, obviously many here think it is the way to go. I'm happy with the DE and not hooked enough to put in the 100 or so shaves it takes to get in the groove with straights, but I think you have to try it. Otherwise you will always wonder!

Top Bottom