What's new

Three Scents New to Me

Just got through a few days of wearing three very interesting scents that were new to me:

Profumun Antico Caruso: I'm wearing this today from a sample straw. The listed notes are very straightforward - Citrus; Almond; Sandalwood. I didn't really get the citrus but I put this on and was running out the door to work. Now a few hours later I have a very nice almond note that's supported by something creamy underneath - obviously the sandalwood but I wouldn't have been able to pull this out if I hadn't seen the notes. Really nice, classy scent. Wish someone would do a split of this sometime.

Divine L'Homme Sage: Notes listed at LuckyScent for this one are saffron, mandarin, cardamom, lychee, aromatic woods, immortelle (or everlasting flower), patchouli, oak moss, amber, incense. I've only worn it once and need more time to really understand the notes and structure. But it smells very, very good. Classic yet at the same time there's nothing I can think of that smells like it. The immortelle doesn't assert itself like it does in Dior Eau Noir - which is a good thing to me.

Santa Maria Novella Potpourri: Where L'homme Sage paradoxically smells simultaneously classic/familiar and unique Potpourri just smells... odd. Not unpleasant odd but a combination of smells that I wasn't expecting at all. Some resins, some herbs, some florals, some spice and almost but not quite sour. Wore this for the first time yesterday when I went to watch my daughter play a tennis match. Didn't have much on and thought it was pleasant and low key when a woman downwind of me announced "Someone smells good". Very good reaction from all the women sitting nearby. Later was sitting with my daughter when another woman walked up and announced that someone smelled wonderfully manly. More compliments on a scent than I normally get in a year.

Antico Caruso is one of my favorites. There's really nothing special about it except that there a few very high quality ingredients used and blended well to give a very nice, clean aromatic and manly scent. It's completely inoffensive but the sandalwood and almond combination really puts me at ease. It is indeed the sandalwood you smell that gives it a creaminess but that can also come from the almond. But I get the sandalwood and almond in almost equal doses, the almond giving it a touch of sweetness, some nuttiness, the sandalwood giving it that creamy, woody goodness.

I haven't tried that Divine l'Homme Sage yet but am intrigued by your experience with Potpourri. I happen to love that one, too, with it's herbal almost medicinal notes. It's kinda like an incense but it's not, not at all. I happen to like the smell of Vick's Vapor Rub, too, so maybe I'm weird, but Potpourri isn't overly medicinal on me, nor overly floral, or overly spicy. It's just a little bit of everything. But I've never gotten those kind of compliments from the ladies! Gonna have to try that one in a crowded room one day.

Nice descriptions, Bill. I finished the last of an SMN Potpourri sample yesterday. Interestingly, my wife said she wasn't sure she like it, but she had said when I wore it previously that she liked it. I think yesterday she got too close too soon and got a whiff of the camphorous/medicinal opening note, which I like, by the way.

Antico Caruso is one of my favorites. There's really nothing special about it except that there a few very high quality ingredients used and blended well to give a very nice, clean aromatic and manly scent. It's completely inoffensive but the sandalwood and almond combination really puts me at ease. It is indeed the sandalwood you smell that gives it a creaminess but that can also come from the almond. But I get the sandalwood and almond in almost equal doses, the almond giving it a touch of sweetness, some nuttiness, the sandalwood giving it that creamy, woody goodness.

I haven't tried that Divine l'Homme Sage yet but am intrigued by your experience with Potpourri. I happen to love that one, too, with it's herbal almost medicinal notes. It's kinda like an incense but it's not, not at all. I happen to like the smell of Vick's Vapor Rub, too, so maybe I'm weird, but Potpourri isn't overly medicinal on me, nor overly floral, or overly spicy. It's just a little bit of everything. But I've never gotten those kind of compliments from the ladies! Gonna have to try that one in a crowded room one day.

I'm planning on wearing SMN Potpourri tomorrow and will apply it as early as possible. I hope the opening camphorous notes become subdued by the time I get to the office. My wife didn't like it but smelled it just after it was applied. I'm curious what she will think of it after the opening notes subside.

Top Bottom