What's new

Cjb kamisori pass around....

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I did not want to wait so I purchased one from Brian and it arrived yesterday. This morning I loaded it with Kai mild and shaved away. It is a nice solid razor. Fit and finish are not perfect but there are no mechanical problems with the razor. I did take a scotch bright pad to the handle but that's all. Shave was smooth and the razor handles very nice. Thanks again Paco

I did not want to wait so I purchased one from Brian and it arrived yesterday. This morning I loaded it with Kai mild and shaved away. It is a nice solid razor. Fit and finish are not perfect but there are no mechanical problems with the razor. I did take a scotch bright pad to the handle but that's all. Shave was smooth and the razor handles very nice. Thanks again Paco

Awesome.... i was just going to pm you and ask if you'd received it....

Hope it serves you well

If there is still room I will try it out... I am wondering about the non-folding type straights anyway. Short of trying out one of your beautiful pieces of work, this might be a good trial run for hand positioning and the such. I did use a Shavette for a while, but this would be different.

Got the Kamisori today. Initial impressions are that it's very well made and a tremendous value for the money. I'll be auditioning it tonight. As kamisori go I have no datapoints to compare against. This will be my first shavette style shave, as well as my furst fixed blade/Kamisori shave.

Fit and finish are fine for my tastes - this isn't a work of art, but a workhorse. I have no Feather or Kai experience to go by though, and I don't expect a razor at this price point to compare in quality to one of those. I do however expect the shave to be identical, as it will be provided by the Feather razor, not the handle... Let's see how this goes!

Jeff

Who's next on the list? PM me your address...

i wouldn't have that expectation, the feather dx shaves differently than the ss...

The only difference would be the difference in hand position... The cutting edge is the exact same.....

I don't see how the outcome could be different..

if you are using the same blades... feather/kai/dorco etc in either holder they should shave the same.....

i could glue a feather blade inbetween 2 popsicle sticks and get the same shave as another holder....

the holder is just a holder....

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you are comparing the DX to the SS, the shaves are very different. This is due to blade exposure, as well as the shape of the "lips" of the holder where the edge exits .. YMMV

If you are comparing the DX to the SS, the shaves are very different. This is due to blade exposure, as well as the shape of the "lips" of the holder where the edge exits .. YMMV

Blade exposure... Now i didn't think of that variable...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Blade exposure is pretty important...which is why you don't see Seraphim posting anymore DE on a chopstick vids :)

I'm so angry and confused right now...

I just shaved with this god-forsaken thing, and have now learned some troubling things:

1. None of my razors are honed worth a damn, except one. The only razor that is close to this thing is my recently acquired TI that O.G. honed. It was fantastic on the first shave. Its still very good, but not at the level of this Kamisori.
2. My honing needs MUCHO work. I have made leaps and bounds in my ability to hone, and my edges are better than ever, but sadly, they're not this good. Period. It's because I'm impatient. I know this.
3. I have had maybe 6 total shaves in memory that were this good. The TI first shave from above, the Gold Dollar Passaround first shave, and some random shaves here and there that I don't specifically remember the details.
4. I'm not 100% sure that I have the right mix of hones and finishers. I don't want a JNAT. I can't afford the AD, and it won't be good for my life. I need to figure out how to max out what I have.

So I fired this sucker up tonight. Got down and dirty on 2 days of growth with a nice slick lather of Musgo Real. Observations:

1. This razor has the right amount of heft to it, and generally feels good in hand.
2. WTG was absolutely effortless, and it mowed my beard like there was no beard. It was weird how efficient it was.
3. It's very forgiving of angle, but the design of the head seems to guide you to the optimal angle.
4. It was so friggin' keen AND smooth. I felt nothing the whole time. No irritation on the ATG (which is where I usually have it) and other than the weepers I got from de-foliating a couple of pimples there wasn't a hitch.
5. ATG was as easy as it has ever been. The razor moved effortlessly through the tough ATG areas and I am not BBS.

The don't likes:
1. The rubber grip leaves a little bit to be desired if you get a little soap/cream on your fingers. At one time I found it slippy and unsure to grip, so I had to stop and rinse everything. I think I might like one with a leather or sisal wrap instead.
2. I like to clear my blades with a damp sponge. This doesn't really work as cream and whiskers get caught between the blade and the head. Nothing a little water won't take care of though.
3. I'm somewhat unsure about the fixed blade. I think I might like a two piece folder better, but his is strictly personal preference. I have young children and it makes sense for me to be able to cover the edge when not in use. It would also be better for travel.

In the end, I was hoping that this razor would be on par with what I know. I'm sorry to say though that for the most part its better. I got a better, easier, smoother shave than what I normally get, and that pisses me off a little bit. Now I just have to chase that edge on my current razors.

I will be buying one of these - It's an ideal travel razor. It's also a better choice for me for when I want a super easy, BBS shave in little time, without resorting to a DE.

Jeff

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
A kamisori honed properly will come VERY close to that my brother. You get over the super smooth easy shaves and will go back to normal straights, but you will forever be chasing that keen edge, now that you know the benefit of a super sharp edge. :) That GD was honed on a coticule and sprays, so you don't need a Jnat, although I know you want one...
If you never go back to regular straights, you can always sink your money into a DX Teakwood.

Top Bottom