What's new

Future Razor Purchases

I have been using the Merkur 38C for a couple of months now and enjoy it, but do not get the perfect shave I desire yet, probably a lack of skill at this point.

I am wondering what the natural progression on razors is, I have been looking at the vision, progress, and futur, which are the best to go to next?

Thanks for your help

I don't think there is something like a 'natural progression'. My advice would be to perfect your technique with the 38C (itself a truly magnificent razor) and only THEN move on to a new razor.
Adjustables only increase the number of variables, which makes things unnecessary complicated for a beginning DE shaver. I started out on the Futur myself and had to go through a year of miserable shaves before switching to a fixed head Merkur and perfecting my technique. Now I have 7 Merkurs and can get BBS with any of them.

Moral of the story: you don't just need the right tool for the job, you (first) need the right technique for the tool.

The 38c is a great razor, in fact I used mine for the first time in ages the past two mornings and whilst I had a close and comfortable shave on both occasions it was nowhere near as close as the vision. I have recently been trying all my 'other' razors of late including gilette adjustables and slims as well as my progress and can honestly say that for me the vision is unbeatable. However I should say that I also use feathers as no other blade is sharp enough and that combined with the vision is what I come back to every time. But as is always said (although I'm not sure why, as if others opinions aren't wanted the question shouldn't be asked in the first place!) you may find that the vision is not for you......I very much doubt it though.:wink2:

Frederik, completely agree that you have to get your technique down. However, even then, some razors may just not cut it for some gents. For instance, outside of the Classic, I really don't like any of the Merkur fixed head razors. They just don't work well for me.

Frederik, completely agree that you have to get your technique down. However, even then, some razors may just not cut it for some gents. For instance, outside of the Classic, I really don't like any of the Merkur fixed head razors. They just don't work well for me.

Fair enough, in that case I recommend a Vision dialled WAY up. :devil: :wink:

Thanks guy's, I really do need to improve my teqhnique, but am definately looking at upgrading my razor, to get even closer. Don't get me wrong I like the 38c, but don't love it. I want a razor I will love to use every single time.

IMHO, you owe it to yourself to try some vintage Gillettes as well...:wink:
Remember, resistance is futile...

I am kind of strange, where I am not a big fan of using a Razor someone else had used for years before me. I have been looking at some of the older Gillettes, but can't bring myself to buy a used one.

Thanks guy's, I really do need to improve my teqhnique, but am definately looking at upgrading my razor, to get even closer. Don't get me wrong I like the 38c, but don't love it. I want a razor I will love to use every single time.

Well, what I think Frederik was saying was that if you still doubt your technique, stick with the 38C. It COULD be your favorite razor with more practice. I was just making the point that there's the potential for it to not just be the right razor for you. The 38C is a great razor for some people, and there's really not an upgrade unless you're talking about the adjustment feature.

Well, what I think Frederik was saying was that if you still doubt your technique, stick with the 38C. It COULD be your favorite razor with more practice. I was just making the point that there's the potential for it to not just be the right razor for you. The 38C is a great razor for some people, and there's really not an upgrade unless you're talking about the adjustment feature.

+1. That sums it up. :001_cool:

Top Bottom