What's new

My wife says I dress too fancy

Wow, great post Michael! I love it. You dress well unlike some of the professors I had. I remember some of the professors from my college days. This one English Professor always wore a track suit to class -- a track suit?!?! He was in his late 60's and was an institution there, so I guess he received a pass on his clothing. He always claimed to have a tennis game lined up after class.

And this other professor I had wore a polo shirt, khakis, and boat shoes. He was a Poli Sci/History professor. He'd walk inside the classroom, sit his cup of vending machine coffee down, and then lecture to us about corrupt politics and gerrymandering and such. That was a state politics class. Now that I am more mature and know how corrupt the system is, I think I would've been right there with him pounding my fists on the desk, but I was just a dumb 19 year old kid back then.

Sorry to ramble on about past professors. But since you are one, I will bend your ear a little more on the subject. I had a history professor (American History) who refused to lecture at all. He was burned out and cynical or something. All he'd do was stand there, and if we had a question, we'd ask him, and he'd elaborate on the question for a minute or so, and then he'd move to the next person. Strange. But I guess some question and answering isn't too bad of a concept in education. He, by the way, wore one piece jumpsuits like a prisoner would were. But instead of orange, he wore tan or beige ones. And he kept his head bald. He kinda gave off a Dr. Hannibal Lector vibe.

Hi jd_1138,

Thanks, you are far too kind. I'm pretty sure I don't dress like many of my colleagues but it's hard to tell, Seattle is a very 'laid-back' city, I am told. I grew up in Idaho but I think Seattleites take casual to a new level and one has to wear what one is comfortable in! Your stories have me thinking about an old Latin professor of mine who would inspire us to do our grammar and I remember him leaping on to a chair and declaiming in Latin. A good professor is unforgettable, that's for sure! :)

Having read some of the other posts, I will say this: The only women in my life tend to be your standard American (or British) woman and many of them remind me how much they wish more men dressed liked I do (particularly when one is taking them out to a fancy restaurant). ;) So, hey, at least our efforts are not going to waste! Someone is appreciating them.

If you feel too overdressed and fancy, well, I enclose a photo of me enjoying the rare Seattle sun and wondering where my next dig is (if I were an archaeologist, that is). ;)

$summermichael.jpg

I don't care how people dress when they are out and about but I do wish people dressed more professionally at work. Perhaps that's anal but I it bothers me to see my coworkers dressed like my 15 yr-old son

I never understood what makes a grown man dress like that. Sometimes I see a father dressed like his son. Why? Does that makes him feel younger, is that it? Is he ashamed of his real age? How sad.

You're ok, but if I may, just complete the set with a belt. I don't like seeing someone wearing trousers without belts.

Thanks, Leon, however a quick note: I'm not wearing a belt because I'm wearing braces (US English: suspenders). I personally prefer not to wear a belt unless I need to/want to (that only happens about 10-15% of the time I wear trousers these days). I prefer braces because I feel it helps trousers hang better and I'm used to those with all of my suits though I'm aware some people prefer to keep them only with suits.

Last edited:
Also- wear a vneck t-shirt.... no-one needs to see your undershirt ;)

Haha, I know...I'm exposing underwear! I'll be showing off my braces next! ;) That said, I've never found a V-neck t-shirt which I could stand and it's probably something influenced by all the ROTC guy and gals I was buddies with when I was an undergrad (that hint of shirt under a uniform). Call it a bizarre idiosyncrasy but I don't do it often. I was probably not really thinking about the t-shirt when I dressed that morning (hey, gotta be honest). :p

Last edited:
You sound a lot like me. First I will never wear a T shirt in public, much less one printed with someone else's name, logo, advertisement. It's usually as you say a button down sport or dress shirt. I have gotten away from wearing neckties after wearing one daily for nearly 50 years.

I do not think I have a pair of jeans left, it's all Chino type pants for me, leather shoes, no tennis shoes. and usually a fedora type hat, no baseball or gimmie caps.

Where I live, unless you are pre-teen, Kappa Slapper or a chav, baseball caps are the ultimate fashion faux pas! They were trendy in the 90s, but not anymore.

Last edited:
My wife says I dress too fancy for everyday things like going to her parent's house, out for dinner, etc.. I don't think so. I usually wear beige khaki style pants, a button down long sleeve
shirt (non dress style, more casual), and if it's chilly I will throw on a v-neck sweater vest or a long sleeve sweater. Rarely, I will wear a tie and sports jacket, if it's a nicer type restaurant. I only wear a suit for weddings or job interviews.
My wife wears sports themed sweatshirts (Penguins, Buckeyes) and jeans most of the time, so I guess to her I am a fancy lad. :wink2: The irony is that she spends way more on clothes than I do. I only spend a couple of hundred a year on clothing. I buy name brands like Polo Ralph Lauren, Izod, Lacoste, Calvin Klein from estate sales, online, etc.. I have a cashmere v-neck sweater vest that I only paid like $3 for at a local estate sale 10 years ago that still looks brand new, because it's high quality and lasts a long time. So I don't need to spend a lot annually on clothing, because my wardrobe lasts for decades. My wife's clothes are the cheap type that unravel and wear out.

You should pay attention and change your manner of dress at least occasionally to please her.

A friendly word of advice from someone who learned the hard way.

Top Bottom