What's new

My wife says I dress too fancy

You have to dress in a way that makes you feel comfortable. Have a personal style is a good thing, in my humble opinion... so it looking good. The first thing I notice, when I step off the plane in Italy, is how well people are dressed and how they really embrace personal style.

I took my wife to San Francisco (where I am from), and she just had to ride the cable car/trolley. And the car was absolutely packed. Standing right in front of my wife was a beautiful young French woman tourist, and she was dressed impeccably and sharp and had a really nice looking bag in her hands. And she smelled great. I should've told my wife (the one who dresses in sports sweatshirts and jeans): hey, you should dress like her. :closedeye I wonder how that would've turned out for me. I took 3 years of French in high school and I am of French ancestry, so I could understand about half of what they were saying.

You have style. Be proud of it.

I took my wife to San Francisco (where I am from), and she just had to ride the cable car/trolley. And the car was absolutely packed. Standing right in front of my wife was a beautiful young French woman tourist, and she was dressed impeccably and sharp and had a really nice looking bag in her hands. And she smelled great. I should've told my wife (the one who dresses in sports sweatshirts and jeans): hey, you should dress like her. :closedeye I wonder how that would've turned out for me. I took 3 years of French in high school and I am of French ancestry, so I could understand about half of what they were saying.

I see divorce in your future.:tongue_sm

Nothing wrong with dressing well. And buying quality cos it's cheaper in the long run.
People who run around looking like advertising placards for multi-million dollar corporations FOR FREE amaze me. Their business model is wrong and they usually look daft to boot.

Agreed with buying quality in the long run, it does work out cheaper. It is simple economics, the people who manufacturer the 'casual clothes' need to sell a lot of them and often for their business model to work. Buying quality and items made in your own country helps us all the long run, it keeps skilled people in work, they're paying their taxes and mortgages, sounds like a good idea to me.

Sounds like you dress nicely, jd. Don't let her make you look like everybody else out there....I do not understand it. Guys like women to look nice and sharp. I would have thought any woman would love to have a guy that dresses nicely. Specially the way most people are dresssing these days.

Sounds like you dress nicely, jd. Don't let her make you look like everybody else out there....I do not understand it. Guys like women to look nice and sharp. I would have thought any woman would love to have a guy that dresses nicely. Specially the way most people are dresssing these days.

Most definitely. Women love their guys well dressed. At least that's what I've always heard from the ladies.

i hate to say it, but you just hit the head on the nail as to why i love being married to a non-american born and raised woman.. all sorts of great things about her decency, morals and sense of family AND her style of dress/accessories to boot .. holy crap.. it's just so different..

it's not a choice for everyone, but i enjoy it...

I hear ya about that. My brother is married to a Taiwanese woman. And she is so caring and nice and wants to take care of everyone. Like when our dad goes to visit them, she fixes his coffee just the way my dad likes it and is so helpful. She isn't doing this because she's forced to. She wants to and it makes her happy. We've always told her she doesn't have to wait on us when we go to visit them, but it makes her happy. And she even has a full-time job besides the housework, and she's actually a better mother to my brother's daughter (her stepdaughter) than her own biological mother is.

I'm not making a blanket statement that all American women are mean and uncaring -- just an observation about non-american women. It's the culture they come from.

I don't care how people dress when they are out and about but I do wish people dressed more professionally at work. Perhaps that's anal but I it bothers me to see my coworkers dressed like my 15 yr-old son

The best style for you is the one you're most comfortable in, both physically and emotionally. That said, there is a time and place for everything. I don't go anywhere fancy outside my job so I dress that way, but when I need to, I dress to the occasion. Personally, I don't like things on my legs, so I wear shorts from March - October if it's over 60, often if it's under. I don't like jeans in the summer, so if I have to go in to the office on a Friday (our casual day and my work-from-home day), I am more likely to wear a pair of chinos than jeans. I wore some to an off-site event last week when it was 80 degrees out and was very uncomfortable while I was outside. Lesson learned.
I've been accused of over dressing by my wife on occasion when I don't want to wear jeans, but now I think she's accepted it. If we go out for dinner after work, I generally wear my work clothes (chinos or dress pants with a dress shirt) and she'll change out of her clothes into jeans. She doesn't want to ruin her nice clothes, I don't want to dirty another outfit. LOL

My wife says I dress too fancy for everyday things like going to her parent's house, out for dinner, etc.. I don't think so. I usually wear beige khaki style pants, a button down long sleeve shirt (non dress style, more casual), and if it's chilly I will throw on a v-neck sweater vest or a long sleeve sweater. Rarely, I will wear a tie and sports jacket, if it's a nicer type restaurant. I only wear a suit for weddings or job interviews.
My wife wears sports themed sweatshirts (Penguins, Buckeyes) and jeans most of the time, so I guess to her I am a fancy lad. :wink2: The irony is that she spends way more on clothes than I do. I only spend a couple of hundred a year on clothing. I buy name brands like Polo Ralph Lauren, Izod, Lacoste, Calvin Klein from estate sales, online, etc.. I have a cashmere v-neck sweater vest that I only paid like $3 for at a local estate sale 10 years ago that still looks brand new, because it's high quality and lasts a long time. So I don't need to spend a lot annually on clothing, because my wardrobe lasts for decades. My wife's clothes are the cheap type that unravel and wear out.

I have to be honest, I grew up in small town Idaho (then lived in London for a few years and now the Seattle area) and it was an interesting experience to contrast my dress through all those years. I do not wear jeans and have not worn them more than a handful of times in 30 years of life (I can't stand the way they look or feel on me). That said, I think many women look smashing in them but they're not my cup of tea, I prefer wool or cotton trousers.

What your wife describes as 'dressed up' is, well, what I wear around the house or when I'm doing light yard work. If I leave the house, though, I'm generally wearing at least khakis/chinos with a button down collar shirt (always long-sleeved) or shirt and tie with sports jacket or a suit if I have a more formal occasion. As an undergrad I wore the same (minus sports jacket and suit) and the same as a postgrad, that is pretty casual to me, my lounging around the house clothes if you will. Now that I lecture I often wear combination that plus a sports jacket (tie is dependent on my mood or if I'm wearing a suit) and leather soled smart shoes. However, whilst I do get a lot of compliments from men and women there are also those who, in Seattle, ask me if I'm going to an opera or a job interview. I smile politely and shrug, different strokes for different folks as they say. I think you're definitely doing a good job in dressing in a way which makes you feel comfortable! A colleague once commented about this with me, he said that he dresses down with just a button down collar shirt and nice trousers and dress shoes or trainers and he'd look fake in a suit and tie or sports jacket but I'd look just as fake if I donned say a Hawaiian shirt or wore jeans as they were 'not me'.

Also, +1 to sweater vests but maybe because I wear odd waistcoats or three-piece tweed suits often and whilst some may disparage them I've not had any problems with women commenting on how nice I look or how I reminded them of their favourite professor from uni days. It's nice to have that layer without having to throw on a coat or jacket over a sports jacket/suit.

Hmm, that possibly rambled. In sum: Keep on with what you're doing!

Sometimes when I'm at the shops I condier what I'm wearing - usally not very appealing - and die a little inside !

My excuse is that I ride a motorbike.

Wow, great post Michael! I love it. You dress well unlike some of the professors I had. I remember some of the professors from my college days. This one English Professor always wore a track suit to class -- a track suit?!?! He was in his late 60's and was an institution there, so I guess he received a pass on his clothing. He always claimed to have a tennis game lined up after class.

And this other professor I had wore a polo shirt, khakis, and boat shoes. He was a Poli Sci/History professor. He'd walk inside the classroom, sit his cup of vending machine coffee down, and then lecture to us about corrupt politics and gerrymandering and such. That was a state politics class. Now that I am more mature and know how corrupt the system is, I think I would've been right there with him pounding my fists on the desk, but I was just a dumb 19 year old kid back then.

Sorry to ramble on about past professors. But since you are one, I will bend your ear a little more on the subject. I had a history professor (American History) who refused to lecture at all. He was burned out and cynical or something. All he'd do was stand there, and if we had a question, we'd ask him, and he'd elaborate on the question for a minute or so, and then he'd move to the next person. Strange. But I guess some question and answering isn't too bad of a concept in education. He, by the way, wore one piece jumpsuits like a prisoner would were. But instead of orange, he wore tan or beige ones. And he kept his head bald. He kinda gave off a Dr. Hannibal Lector vibe.

Hannibal Lecter eh? I suppose some of the frosh were too afraid to even engage the guy.LOL

I find it refreshing that there are guys out there who still think it wise to dress up a bit if going downtown to shop or heading to work or what have you. I plead guilty to the ultra casual look most times. I am blue collar guy and working in anything other than heavy denim is not a reality. However, I have made a conscious effort these last years to dress better whenever I can. Now that my daughter works for Joseph A. Bank this is easier!

My parents would have thought it strange and seedy to have gone anywhere after 6:00PM dressed in jeans and tee shirt. They were married in 1956 and made $40 per week between them. Money? They had no money. But even a stroll through downtown Lawrence in the evening would have meant trousers and a dress shirt for dad, even if they were hand me downs or borrowed from his or mom's brothers. Mom would have worn nothing but dresses or skirts and blouses and small heels. NEVER flats in the evening. IF they managed a theatre or some live show dad would have had a sport jacket and dress shirt. He despised ties and even in the fifties that was okay but you had better have that jacket and a dress shirt on. They both succumbed to the casual 70's but sort of bemoaned it. And dad learned to tolerate ties in his later years. He became distinguished looking when dressed up a bit. A bit similar to John Rhys-Davies.

And speaking of elderly folks, I have come to appreciate the ones who still do it right. We have an elderly couple at our church who exemplify this. He is a retired minister and she his devoted wife. They are not wealthy by anyone's standards but he always wears either a suit or jacket and tie. She is almost always in a dress and she usually has a brooch or pin of some sort and ready for this? Gloves. They carry themselves with such an easy grace you would think them the owners of a large company or bank. There is not a drop of pretentiousness between them and their classiness commands immediate respect. Honestly chaps, there is a lesson here. For the most part if you dress well you act well. Try it. You may like it more than you realised.

Cheers, Todd

You have to dress in a way that makes you feel comfortable. Have a personal style is a good thing, in my humble opinion... so it looking good. The first thing I notice, when I step off the plane in Italy, is how well people are dressed and how they really embrace personal style.

Hi Joseph. This is interesting to me. We have a young French kid working for us who is a barrel of fun. He has embraced America like no one's business. But he mentioned the same thing. The over casual way many Americans dress when going out for the evening or to business functions. I assured him there was a time not that many decades ago when most of us would have felt the same way. He likes the dress down mentality for going to class but admits he was stunned by girls going to classes dressed in track pants, short shorts, and sloppy tee shirts. Hey, it is a free country and he sees it that way too. He is not judgmental about it. Only surprised. He said most kids in France are expected to dress more like casual business while attending classes. Same with the guys. He said he was expected to wear non-denim trousers to classes and a collared shirt. Not a bad concept I think.

Cheers, Todd

I probably overdress a little for work (dark raw denim, button down or polo, nice shoes), but on my days off, it's always this one pair of selvedge denim that I'm trying so hard to get the epic fades... and a comic book T-shirt. I have so many of them and always buy new ones.

Top Bottom