What's new

My wife says I dress too fancy

I remember going out to eat with a buddy at a nice steakhouse. Originally I was going to wear pants (not jeans), a button-down shirt, and a sports jacket. My wife made fun of me for dressing up too much, so I ditched the sports coat. As soon as I met up with the buddy he was wearing a sports jacket. Grrr! Go your own way!

I have your back on the sweater vest. I know it isn't for everybody and I don't wear mine regularly but I like the look.

That being said, I prefer my GF in her sweats and a Celtics t-shirt.

IMHO, there are times to dress up and times to dress down. I wouldn't show up at a barbecue wearing dress slacks and dress shirt any more than I would show up to a fancy restaurant wearing cutoffs, t-shirt and flip-flops.

Wear what you feel comfortable in and never justify your choices with the amount of money spent with your wife. Who spends more or less on items is silly at best. Be thrifty and keep it to youself and feel good that you can afford the things that the wife likes.

When people ask you why you are dressed up, it is practically always a comment how they feel about themselves rather than you. Perhaps help your wife find a few nicer pieces of clothing as you are finding the stuff you like?

I usually dress up then down. I am a big tall guy, and its hard to find good fitting jeans that I like that don't cost and arm and a leg. I do the same thing at work, and I think it makes a positive impression on the employees that I deal with on a daily basis. My wife doesn't dress up as much as I do, but we usually try not to be way off from each other.

Marty

The dress code around my office is business casual (khaki's and collared shirts in most styles)
That doesn't stop one of my colleagues from running around the office in shorts...year round
He answers to head office ,not our branch, so he gets a little more leeway
My boss gave him an ultimatum the last time they went out together "go home and put pants on or I'm not being seen with you"
He did
A long time employee of one of our biggest clients wears track pants everywhere
One of our sales reps took the client out to dinner at a high end steakhouse in Montreal and the guy showed up dressed for a grade eight dodge-ball tournament

Maybe you could get your wife some nice clothes as a gift and encourage her to dress up with you? Keep an eye open for something nice at the estate sales. Women are harder to find stuff for as womens fashion is very fast moving.

Neither can I

V-neck sweater vest...Really...I hope you are over 65

You don't like a classic sweater vest? It's a classic. It harkens back to a time when most men wore vests -- whether a dress vest under a dress suit jacket, or a cordurouy vest if they were more casual. But on a practical level, a sweater vest will keep you warm on chilly days when you don't feel like putting on a light jacket.

$693502PRO_F10_ADF.jpg

You don't like a classic sweater vest? It's a classic. It harkens back to a time when most men wore vests -- whether a dress vest under a dress suit jacket, or a cordurouy vest if they were more casual. But on a practical level, a sweater vest will keep you warm on chilly days when you don't feel like putting on a light jacket.

View attachment 228126

As long as you dont think you look like above and actually look like this:

proxy.php

Jeans/black jeans, collared shirt every day. I get the "you dress too nice" a lot too - since I live in hawaii. Teachers come to school in t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops!

Dressing up is a pleasure, the idea of being seen out wearing sports wear other than when exercising (running and cycling in my case) does not appeal. I must admit to being shocked by the concept that people think jeans are 'dressing up' wear to me they are informal/manual work wear.

nothing wrong with being into your image/style its one of the things that makes us all different,some guys are just more into it then others.

+1 for what Dennis said

She'd prefer me to wear jeans and sweatshirts and t-shirts. She can't understand why someone doesn't like jeans.

Usually, one must go to a Bowling Alley to meet people of such stature.

Was your wife wearing sweatshirts and jeans when you dated? If not.....

Maybe you should be the one complaining.

Last edited:
Dressing up is a pleasure, the idea of being seen out wearing sports wear other than when exercising (running and cycling in my case) does not appeal. I must admit to being shocked by the concept that people think jeans are 'dressing up' wear to me they are informal/manual work wear.

Here in Texas, people seem to think that wearing jeans, cowboy boots, and a shirt with a hideous belt buckle is dressing up.

Jeans are super uncomfortable to me. They're scritchy against my legs. I'd much rather be in a pair of slacks.

Here in Texas, people seem to think that wearing jeans, cowboy boots, and a shirt with a hideous belt buckle is dressing up.

Jeans are super uncomfortable to me. They're scritchy against my legs. I'd much rather be in a pair of slacks.

... with a HUGH belt bucle? :biggrin:

Top Bottom