What's new

Advice from a Newbie

I know, I know advice from a Newbie? Shouldn't the experienced DE shavers around here be the ones spreading the wisdom??

However after my first few shaves I have actually accumulated enough trial and error evidence to spread some wisdom for fellow newbies.

To make a long story short I started my venture into DE shaving with the most basic tools of the trade. A heavy duty Merkur razor, Proraso soap (green), and Proraso pre/post shave. Unfortunately for me it appears my biggest pitfall was not doing my due diligence on blade advice/reviews. I bought a pack of Merkur blades off of Amazon after reading the reviews on there (unfortunately Amazon.com reviews were my DE shaving resource before I stumbled onto B&B) and they seemed fine enough.

Turns out, no. I know results very for everyone because of skin types, weight of beard, etc. but my first couple of shaves absolutely shredded my face. I have not narrowed it down to one culprit but I believe the combination of the horrible Merkur blades (I know some people rate these blades, but I will never use one again) and the menthol/eucalyptus in the Proraso really did a number on my face. The Merkur gave me terrible razor burn even when applying no pressure and I think the Proraso only irritated it worse and I think maybe I had some kind of menthol/eucalyptus reaction. Unfortunately the Proraso pre/post shave was the only type of aftershave I had and instead of soothing my shredded and irritated skin I think I was just making it worse by lathering my skin with the Proraso.

Anyway while allowing my face to heal and recover I purchased a sampler pack of blades from WCS. Last night I lathered up some Col. Conk that I purchased with my shave mug and tried out an IP red blade for the first time. Wow, night and day difference in the blade feel and quality of shave. Didn't have a single nick or cut and did not have any razor burn or irritation. Applied some Nivea sensitive after shave balm afterward and my face felt and looked great.

Thanks B&B.

Welcome to B&B.

Good advice for new commers to wet shaving. Never give up. Search out and find items that will work for you

I'm new also,only been at it maybe 6 weeks.Besides changing what you're using,your technique probably kept getting better every day.One of the major things I noticed was that using shaving soap improved the quality of my shaves exponentially over the stuff in the can.Even the guys using the modern multiblade Fusions etc...would be better off using shave soap.I'm using 3 dollar Van Der Hagen shave soap and a 9 dollar Badger brush and getting killer results.I'll experiment with higher end stuff eventually,right now just making sure my technique is good.There's a video or two out on YouTuuuube that really helped me.

Welcome !

I'm right there with ya! I can't say it enough...but you have to keep changing things until you get a perfect shave. And once you've figured that out, then the fun really begins. :)

Top Bottom