Thread: FS: 2 Big Fellows, Modded Progress, Monobloc, Pocket set, 2 Bakelites

Images

Default FS: 2 Big Fellows, Modded Progress, Monobloc, Pocket set, 2 Bakelites

Here are a few classy sets for your consideration. These razors are in great condition and will make excellent shavers or great additions to your collection. PM interest. Payment via Paypal. Prices listed are inclusive of USPS priority mail -- within the USA. Slightly higher elsewhere.

First up are 2 Big Fellow from the 1920s. The first is without its case, but still a great classy and hefty razor. it is silver plated and in very good shape. If you haven't shaved with one of these, it is a unique experience.

You can see the amazing knurling on the handle -- with no splitting -- none at all.

A slight bend on several teeth of the comb. And the serial # is: M801490 -- placing it in 1920.
    Offered for $89 delivered in the USA.
    SOLD

Next is the wooden cased Big Fellow. This is an excellent razor in an excellent case. The case is tight at all the corners, but it could be loosened and re-aligned if you want it pristine. The finish is excellent with no stains or marks.

The blade case has several of the wrapped vintage blades in it.

You can see the bottom left most teeth are slight skewed. Not that it makes any difference -- except cosmetically. The serial #: N420113 -- made in 1920.

Beautiful finish on the case.
    Offered for $137 delivered in the USA.
    SOLD

Next is a modified Merkur Progress -- the flimsy plastic adjuster knob has been replaced with a beautiful waxed Coon Cat Bob wooden knob. The razor was hardly used and is in excellent shape.

Chrome plated head -- nickel plated handle.

Hefty adjustable that provides a smooth and close shave.
    Offered for $66 delivered within the USA.
    SOLD

Next is the rare and rarely seen French Rocket -- known as the Monobloc. This is a great little razor and when paired with the even more rare yellow plastic case, is a great collection piece. The razor itself provides an excellent shave and this is a great example of this fine Rocket/Monobloc.

Note the difference from the more common Rocket HD.

A slight flaw on the one silo door. It could be polished off, but I didn't want to risk marring the nickel plating on the head.

Offered for $96 delivered within the USA.
    SOLD

Next is a US made Pocket set with a ball-end handle. It is in very good shape excepting the common hairline split on the handle -- as shown below. The case is in excellent shape and is a fairly rare variant of the Pocket sets.

You can see the split here. No functional issues -- and it is quite a common problem with this vintage razor.

The serial #: M646113 places it at 1920.

Another view of the split on the handle.
    Offered for $67 delivered in the USA.

These next 2 razors are unusual Bakelite slants -- on with it's cardboard box, the other on its own. They are practically new and quite nice travel razors. They are light weight so require a bit of finesse when using them -- but they are great shavers as well as real beauties.

1st is the white slant.

Could be French, could be German.

Offered for $33 delivered in the USA.

And finally another Bakelite slanted razor. Unique and quite attractive.

Offered for $27, delivered within the USA.
    SOLD
    Last edited by Jake; 03-11-2012 at 06:17 AM.

Images

You always have amazing razors for sale. I wish I had the cash to pick up a few.

Where ever the Good Ship Lolly Pop drops me off

Nice razors Jake, a bit out of my range. My SWMBO would surely hang me out to dry for this.
    The price of freedom is written on the wall. Author UNK

Images

Wow! What an amazing sale!
    Ben.

Gorgeous razors, sir! They should not last long.

Great looking razors!

Totally unrelated note, but I recently saw an antique Gillette ball-end razor that had a head like the Merkur Progress with that comb-style. Any idea what type of razor that would be?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by drocu View Post
    Great looking razors!

Totally unrelated note, but I recently saw an antique Gillette ball-end razor that had a head like the Merkur Progress with that comb-style. Any idea what type of razor that would be?
    Photos would be ideal -- else see if you can locate that design on our fellow member and archivist extraordinaire -- Achim's website, AKA Mr-razor.com. Check his site for a reference to that razor -- if you can locate an example of it there.