What's new

Another fresh face checking in.

Greetings, Gentlemen.

I've posted a couple of times over on SMF, but since I'm relatively new to the wet shaving world, I'm still finding resources (like this one). I haven't poked around much yet, so I don't know how much cross-pollination there is here vs. SMF vs. WSG on MSN, but I'm sure that regardless it will be another good place to come for learning, banter, and maybe a nice Fat Boy, perhaps.

To give you some grounding, I've tried wet shaving before, with less than stellar results. I'm trying again, but have only had three shaves with my current setup:
  • Merkur Futur w/Merkur Platinum SS blades
  • TOBS Lavender shave cream
  • Vulfix #406 brush
  • An old latte mug for building lather
I also have a Merkur 39C on the way, but in the meantime, I'm trying to resist the temptation to immediately get closer shaves--things like limiting myself to two passes, keeping the Futur below two, light pressure, etc.

I'm giving it a week or two, but will probably need some tips afterwards on getting closer shaves. In the meantime, I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts you can give, especially about your recommended blade samplers, which will probably be my next purchase.

Cheers,
Drew

Hi Drew!

I started about a month and a half ago with a similar setup - Futur/Merkur blades, TOBS Mr Taylor SC - and found that I didn't care for the Merkur blades and have since found happiness with Derby blades set at 4 for the first pass then 4.5/5 for the second and 2.5 for ATG.

YMMV but I thought I would share my newbie experience with you. Tomorrow I try IP blades!

Top Bottom