What's new

DoubleB's straight razor adventures

Shave #21
Had a breakthrough this morning! Stropped 40 passes on leather (stropping is really improving!) and lathered up Speick.

I did the suggestion Krodor made and also used a technique Larry from WD suggested to me. It basically means to shave upwards with the edge down. Dividing a WTG stroke into multiple smaller strokes and start - at what normally would be your end of the stroke - and work your way up. Those three things really got the work done for me. I had a fine shave this morning! Did 3 passes, 2 WTG and one XTG and my face felt great afterwards! I'm really happy with the result and to see my progression. A step closer to that beloved BBS and irritation free shave!

After the shave I used some WH and applied the BAUME.BE ASB. This is the AS I will be testing for a vendor here in the Netherlands for couple of days. I'm not that fond of it yet, but I'll have to use it more to make a conclusion.

Shave #21
Had another great shave this morning. Stropped on the leather 40 times and lathered up TOBS Sandalwood cream with my TGN Silvertip. Did a 2 pass today since I was short on time. Went WTG the same way as I did yesterday and did a XTG after that. No nicks or cuts today! No blood at all. Also, no irritation on todays shave and a great feeling afterwards. My Proraso gave me a very very slight burning feeling, which is a good indicator to me. Very happy with the results and I hope thing will keep getting better and better!

Dude!! I think someone's figured it out! good job. Now go back and read your posts earlier and see how far you've come in a short couple weeks.

Your Doing Good So Keep At It.

Dude!! I think someone's figured it out! good job. Now go back and read your posts earlier and see how far you've come in a short couple weeks.

Thank you both, gentlemen! I'm very happy with my results! I indeed have learned a lot in those few weeks!

Shave #23

Had another wonderful shave this morning. Stropped as usual, lathered up Arko and did a WTG, XTG and ATG touch up. Great shave, great feeling and a DFS! Absolutely love this way of shaving! I find that straights are way more forgiving then DE's. Although I love DE's; I wish I had switched to straights earlier!

Sorry guys, have been busy so I havent been able to update my journal! I will do them all at once.

Shaves 24 - 26
I really think I did figure it out. Last three shaves all were great. Still going strong with the Clauss half hollow. Gave it a touch up on the balsa saturday afternoon and it still shaves great!
I'm able to get a full straight shave. No need for my DE anymore. There is actually nothing shocking to tell about my last three shaves. They all were good and I would rate them equally. Great feeling afterwards.
I have a new strop, C12K and another sight unseen razor on the way. Hope they get here soon, should be good! Im anxious to see what Larry sent me!

Here I am again, it's been a busy and chaotic week, so I had no time to update my journal.

Shave 27-32
All of them were great! The Clauss is still going strong. I manage to do a 3 pass straight shave without a DE for WTG or touch ups. Definately getting DFS shaves here. Even two days of growth isn't a problem anymore, so I really feel like I'm improving so much at this moment!
Still get the occasional nick, but nothing serious.

A friend of mine sent me a large selection of shaving cream samples (lots of GFT, CF and TOBS). I'm trying a different one every day!

For my fellow noobies; keep at it. You'll get the hang of it, trust me. At some points it seems a bit hard and/or frustrating, but you will definately reach that great shave in a short time! Just go light and steady.

Shave #21
Had another great shave this morning. Stropped on the leather 40 times and lathered up TOBS Sandalwood cream with my TGN Silvertip. Did a 2 pass today since I was short on time. Went WTG the same way as I did yesterday and did a XTG after that. No nicks or cuts today! No blood at all. Also, no irritation on todays shave and a great feeling afterwards. My Proraso gave me a very very slight burning feeling, which is a good indicator to me. Very happy with the results and I hope thing will keep getting better and better!
Aaaahhhhh, you hit the sweet spot. Sounds like you are heading to the top of the learning curve.

Sorry for the late update. I have been really busy lately.

I'm in for about 2 months now and I still love the straight shaving experience. I recently purchased a Hibbard faux frameback 6/8 full hollow. To me it feels different then a half hollow. Also, I purchased a C12K to act as a barbers hone, with good results. I am able to keep the edge pretty good on my straights. I send back the Clauss to Larry at Whippeddog for a trade. He is sending me a (near) wedge. That way I have the opportunity to try out a couple of different grinds.
My stropping is OK, I think. I received my new strop (Rich Man Strop) and have been using that now for 2 weeks without a nick or a cut.

The shaves are still getting better. I manage to go ATG as a 3th pass on my face. Leaving me with a (almost) BBS shave.

I will keep at it and finetune my technique. It still needs some work and I'm not there yet, but I'm getting closer and closer and absolutely love every minute of it!

Well guys, thought it was about time for an update on my progress!

I'm fully comfortable with a straight razor now. I get BBS shaves everyday (every once and a while the occasional nick). My collection has grown to 5 straight razors and a shavette. I like my sheffeld full hollow ground (6/8) the most! Also have a Joseph Elliott near wedge, but I prefer the hollow ground razors. Touching up is going great. I don't have a preference for that yet. My coti, C12K, CrOx on balsa and Naniwa 12K all do the job.

So let's say I'm in for about 6 months now. Never thought I would learn this skill so fast. There really is the magical line you need to cross around shave 25 and when you reach shave 100 your pretty much settled. Atleast, that was the experience I went through.

Only thing I need to work on is honing. I found this Le Grelot on a flea market for 1 euro (1,22 dollar) but can't seem to work my way up properly. I start with a Naniwa 1K and work my way up on the coti with slurry and the dillution method. Somehow I can't manage to set the bevel straight which leaves my honing without the chance at a good shave ready straight..Ah well, I'll just keep practicing!

See you around!

Top Bottom