What's new

May I have your attention please?

Will the real Slim Shavey please stand up?

Hi All,

Just had my first shave with my birth year Slim, and it was awesome! I was going to send it off for restoration, but actually it didn't look too bad. Last night I gave it a soak in boiling water and detergent three times, and the little gunk that was on it floated off.

So, did my usual prep this morning, lathered up with Arko, slipped in a new Derby blade and went to work with the Slim set on two. After the first swipe it didn't remove all of my stubble so went up to a three and it was great. First pass WTG got rid of almost everything and I did an ATG on my neck, and a XTG on my jawline. Disappointingly that was me all done, it was over far too quickly.

What a great BBS shave with no mishaps, those chaps in the 60's really knew their stuff. What follows next is a comparison to my Futur.

So the Slim is smaller, I am used to a longer handle and a heavier weight. That all said the Slim was very easy to control and I felt that I wasn't having to be as careful with the Slim as I do with the Futur. I even took a couple of liberties with the Slim around my chin that I wouldn't dare do with the Futur. Nett result, smooth like silk with just a bit of burn. Can't wait to try some other blades in it.

Will I be using the Slim everyday? Yes.
Will I get rid of the Futur? No.

I really don't want to start collecting, the Futur was my first and I bought it because of the design. It is good to have the contrast between an old and a modern adjustable razor, and it will be something to pass on to my son when he is older.

As for the Slim, it was a great feeling to be shaving with an implement that came into the world around the same time as I did. I was born in July 66 and the Slim is an L3.

All you other Slim Shaveys are just imitating
So won't the real Slim Shavey please stand up,
please stand up, please stand up?

Vulpes, welcome to B&B.

You and I have the exact same Gillette Slim (L3) and although I now have about 10 razors, it remains one of my favorite.

It works very well with a variety of blades, so when I'm trying out a new blade it goes into the slim and the Merkur 34 HD.

Vulpes, welcome to B&B.

You and I have the exact same Gillette Slim (L3) and although I now have about 10 razors, it remains one of my favorite.

It works very well with a variety of blades, so when I'm trying out a new blade it goes into the slim and the Merkur 34 HD.

Does that mean we are the same age?

If so, we are three. I also got a L3 Slim Adjustable which is my birth razor :001_smile

It is not my favourite razor, but I do like using it now and again, and I always use it on my Birthday.

If so, we are three. I also got a L3 Slim Adjustable which is my birth razor :001_smile

It is not my favourite razor, but I do like using it now and again, and I always use it on my Birthday.

I'm afraid that you are only two. I'm a G2 (2nd quarter of 1961) which Mrs. Redrako commemorated two years ago with a Gillette Fatboy.

I appreciate the sheer mass of the fat boy, but I find I reach for your birth razor more than mine.

Top Bottom