What's new

Captain CS by Lord, first impressions

I don't usually track how many shaves I get, I just change when I feel it's time. Usually not more than four. Today was rough and I finished up with a Supermax Platinum. It went ok, but I think the damage had already been done.

My 5th shave with Captain carbon steel Lord blade. I used my Flying Eagle razor and Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad shaving cream with Eterna 928W shaving brush. I did my shave preparations using a bit more time and the shave was not as smooth as the first few shaves. The teflon has worn off some. Keep in mind I live in the tropics where it can be 80-90% plus humidity so it is harsh on metals like carbon steel blades. Right from the start after each shave I have wiped/blotted my Captain cs blade gently to dry it as much as possible. Then I let it air dry. I did my usual 2 passes and some touch ups. I got a dfs.

My 6th shave with Captain carbon steel Lord blade. I used my Flying Eagle razor and Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad shaving cream with Eterna 928W shaving brush. This blade is starting to deteriorate and it`s a bit rougher and not as smooth. I have palm stropped this blade 2 shaves ago (4th shave) but it doesn`t seem to make much of a difference. I did my 2 passes with a bit of more touch ups than usual. I still got a dfs to good shave but a little more work to get it at that shaving level. I`ll see how far I will continue pushing it?

Last edited:
This blade is starting to deteriorate and it`s a bit rougher and not as smooth.

That is what happened to me during shave #6. I did not get the Captain smooth again though I managed some more, not very pleasant, shaves out of it. The crazy thing is that while the shaves felt like I was ruining my face I actually didn't do that at all. I wonder where it takes you.

That is what happened to me during shave #6. I did not get the Captain smooth again though I managed some more, not very pleasant, shaves out of it. The crazy thing is that while the shaves felt like I was ruining my face I actually didn't do that at all. I wonder where it takes you.
Must be a quirk with carbon blades. The Treet Blue Specials are like that. But post shave, your face is smooth and comfy.

Hi Gentlemen,
The issue with carbon steels I may know the answer, this steel is more resistant on the edge than the inox ones. This means it will wear out differently or I should say more evenly round the edges, while SS will deteriorate more unevenly due to the drop off of coatings and it would look more teared apart under a microscope. However this is also not a general fact, since so many more factors on the material itself (tempering, geometry, coatings etc.) and of course also the personal use. Some of us may apply more pressure on only one side of the blade causing differentiation in the edge platform. Hand palm honing therefore will not make a substancial difference, maybe give a shine to the edge where the coatings have been already removed.

Talibeard- The final angle I don't beleive it would be 60 deg.(30+30) that would be definetly too much for shaving. It is still well below 40, but still higher than 90% of all other blades. You can apprx. guess the average facet angle by measuring the length of the seen facet and knowing the blade thickness and the sine theorem. In case the geometry is not a gothic arch type, under the microscope you can check how many facets are on the edge. Usually 2,3,4. With these info in hand another calculation will help 'guess' the final angle. However after a final calculation this will get us nowhere...:lol: every blade is different.

Talibeard- The final angle I don't beleive it would be 60 deg.(30+30) that would be definetly too much for shaving. It is still well below 40, but still higher than 90% of all other blades.

I wasn't even guessing with my 60 degrees Penge, it was more to express the sensation than to be correct.

As for carbon steel; I prefer that for my (folding) knives over about all stainless steels and I am happy I finally found a carbon steel blade that has the same easy cutting and holding its edge as my knives do. My other experiences with carbon steel did not show that at all but I have to say that it were old blades with probably no coating and maybe even humid storage for years. Chances are that they didn't shave at the same level as when they were factory-fresh. The Treet I am using now is better but still not close in performance to the Captain.

Must be a quirk with carbon blades. The Treet Blue Specials are like that. But post shave, your face is smooth and comfy.

I now that from the Captain but not (yet) from other carbon-steel blades. The Treet Durasharps I am using now are certainly not bad but they start to have some troubles with my beard at the second shave so the "Dura-" part is probably not true for me.

My 7th shave with Captain carbon steel Lord blade. I used my Flying Eagle razor and Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad shaving cream with Eterna 928W shaving brush. This Captain blade has deteriorated to the point where regrettably the shaves are not as good but it was still ok shave. I did 3 passes and more touch ups than I would normally prefer. If I was in a war and there were a de blade shortages I would continue to use this blade without any trouble alas there are a stock pile of fresh blades awaiting for my usage. Therefore for the time being I`ll go back to my regular blades and sparingly and with high regards use up the remaining two Captain de cs blades for on special occasions. As I mentioned earlier I live in the tropics with often high humidity especially during Spring season. It is often 80-90% plus humidity which I`m sure does prematurely put a strain on metals like this Captain CS blade. I have with every shave carefully gently wipe/blot each blade to reduce moisture as much as possible after each shave to help prolong this blade. This has been a fun and enjoyable experiment Talibeard and I hope my info was of some use. Thanks again for your blade pif and for sharing them. Cheers!

Interesting that our shaves have much in common. Yes it was rougher after my 7th shave but I did not once during my whole week of daily shaving get any irritations or nicks or cuts from this blade. This Captain blade is a great blade and the best Carbon Steel blade that I have used. We are all lucky to have experienced such a treasure.

As I mentioned earlier I live in the tropics with often high humidity especially during Spring season. It is often 80-90% plus humidity which I`m sure does prematurely put a strain on metals like this Captain CS blade. I have with every shave carefully gently wipe/blot each blade to reduce moisture as much as possible after each shave to help prolong this blade. This has been a fun and enjoyable experiment Talibeard and I hope my info was of some use. Thanks again for your blade pif and for sharing them. Cheers!

I wonder for your test inhouse for such conditions in the tropics please give us some feedback if it should start rusting within its wrapper. Actually the carbon steel is coated with some heavy lacquer on the straits while there is a more protective PTFE layer on the edge. If not in use and stored calm in a 90%+ humidity in its wrapper, there should be no problem with it for years. Under my "Hungarian bathroom climate" there is no trouble at all for years now. For more extreme heavy moisture shower conditions without wrapper the (used) Captain is also standing without a rust for weeks ( I live outside Budapest). However for some other fellows within our region were getting rust in a few days only in their bathroom conditions. So not only the climate and humidity but the acidity/ingredients of the tap water will be of influence. Also noticed after the first use, when the laquer protection is hurt somewhat, it will definetely rust sooner or later.

Interesting that our shaves have much in common. Yes it was rougher after my 7th shave but I did not once during my whole week of daily shaving get any irritations or nicks or cuts from this blade. This Captain blade is a great blade and the best Carbon Steel blade that I have used. We are all lucky to have experienced such a treasure.

Yes I am glad I tried them and others were interested in doing that too. Part of the fun is of course that is a kind of mystery blade but it really is a good blade with a very friendly character.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and taking the risk! :lol:

For more extreme heavy moisture shower conditions without wrapper the (used) Captain is also standing without a rust for weeks ( I live outside Budapest).

That is my experience as well; the first time I took it out of the razor it had been sitting there for 12 days in our bathroom and there were no signs of rust anywhere. I have seen stainless steel blades doing a lot worse!

Yes it was rougher after my 7th shave but I did not once during my whole week of daily shaving get any irritations or nicks or cuts from this blade. This Captain blade is a great blade and the best Carbon Steel blade that I have used. We are all lucky to have experienced such a treasure.

Agreed. This is precisely why I love carbon steel blades and why I have been using them regularly for the past two years. They are gentle on my skin. The Captains are certainly terrific blades and are very gentle. They would be in my rotation if I had a good supply. But I am more than happy with my current supply of vintage carbons.

Agreed. This is precisely why I love carbon steel blades and why I have been using them regularly for the past two years. They are gentle on my skin. The Captains are certainly terrific blades and are very gentle. They would be in my rotation if I had a good supply. But I am more than happy with my current supply of vintage carbons.

I think I am in that camp as well. Sorry for the tease though it was not meant as such; I was looking for a 'test-team' to judge the Captain and frankly didn't expect this result. Like you I am happy with my supply of blades but I certainly wouldn't mind if the Captain was available through the usual chanels.

Well I should keep my mouth shut after just one go with the Captain, but I can't. I used my trusted Muhle R89 and Cella soap to start this off. It was a very smooth first shave. The blade felt very light on the skin, very sharp, it felt like it danced over the skin, so supple. And it whisked my hair away without interfering much on my skin, which remained in excellent condition, without nicks or irritation. What a pleasant surprise! However, I need to do a lot more practising before I can give a personal verdict. How good it will last me 8 shaves :wink2:.
For a first impression it was an excellent one.
Thanks Talibeard for supplying the blades :thumbup:!

Well I should keep my mouth shut after just one go with the Captain, but I can't........

Tell me something new Vertelselaar! I even doubt you can keep it shut when you sleep! :lol:

But I am glad you liked the Captain for starters. With everybody liking those blades I start to feel like some drugsdealer giving out the latest for free till you all get hooked....Some (minor) guilty feelings come creeping in here.

Anyway don't forget I got 5 great shaves out of one plus 3 not so pleasant ones but still with great results. Keep us informed!!

I wonder for your test inhouse for such conditions in the tropics please give us some feedback if it should start rusting within its wrapper. Actually the carbon steel is coated with some heavy lacquer on the straits while there is a more protective PTFE layer on the edge. If not in use and stored calm in a 90%+ humidity in its wrapper, there should be no problem with it for years. Under my "Hungarian bathroom climate" there is no trouble at all for years now. For more extreme heavy moisture shower conditions without wrapper the (used) Captain is also standing without a rust for weeks ( I live outside Budapest). However for some other fellows within our region were getting rust in a few days only in their bathroom conditions. So not only the climate and humidity but the acidity/ingredients of the tap water will be of influence. Also noticed after the first use, when the laquer protection is hurt somewhat, it will definetely rust sooner or later.

I store my new blades in air tight containers and it`s good to know how rust resistant the Captain cs blades are. I didn`t see any rust on my blade during the weeks shaving. I`ll keep track on how rust resistant these Captain cs blades are.

Top Bottom