What's new

Which blade to try for the first time?

I'm not to shaving with a DE razor. I just purchased my first one and it came with a sampler back of blades. I was reading on here not to start with the Feather since they are the sharpest. Any suggestions on which to start with for a first time for the ones below?

(10) Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum, (5) Lord Platinum Class, (10) Lord Super Stainless, (5) Big Ben Blue, (10) Big Ben Violet, (5) Rainbow Super Stainless

Thanks,

Greg

Doesn't matter, aside of Feathers in this case.
I think you need (or will need after those) to sample a few other blades, your sample pack is kind of lacking. Try Israeli Red Personna, Derby, Gillette 7 o'clock, Shark, Astra. I think anyone here will say the same.

if the blades that you have a choice from, I would recommend the Lord Platinum Class, it is a very sharp, yet very smooth and forgiving blade.

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll be hacking my face up this weekend with the Lord ones. I hope they're VERY forgiving!

Yup, Lord if you must have one from that list. But DEFINITELY try an Astra SP. Hold off on the Feathers until you get your technique down.

So I tried the Lord Super stainless for my first two shaves, only one nick each time, but terrible razor burn on my neck. Today I used the Lord Platinum and liked it better, although I got three nicks today. I only did two passes (instead of three that I did the two other times), but only one at the bottom of my neck. I also used an aftershave balm (unscented from AoS) which helped quite a bit. I don't normally use an aftershave, but put always put on a quality face lotion immediately after. I think today's combo, the Lord Platinum, one pass at the neck and using aftershave was the best combo so far.

Aside from a few uneven spots and razor burn on my neck, I've had the three smoothest shaves I've ever had!

Aside from a few uneven spots and razor burn on my neck, I've had the three smoothest shaves I've ever had!

Can make a suggestion? If you're still learning your technique, use just one brand of blade, and only that brand, for a few weeks. After you get to the point where you're not getting any more razor burn or nicks on a regular basis, then consider trying new blade brands. When you're in the learning phase, keeping the variables to a minimum will help you gain mastery.
-- Chet

Can make a suggestion? If you're still learning your technique, use just one brand of blade, and only that brand, for a few weeks.

Probably sound advice which I will follow, thanks!

After you get to the point where you're not getting any more razor burn or nicks on a regular basis, then consider trying new blade brands.

Does that mean that razor burn is typical when switching to a DE razor? Is it the razor or the operator?

Does that mean that razor burn is typical when switching to a DE razor? Is it the razor or the operator?

Could be either, but until you get your technique down, it's meaningless to test different blades. I suggest that you get at least 10 Astra Super Platinums. They're cheap and seem to be the most universally loved (though I don't care for them) and work with those until your shaves are consistent. Then start working through your sample pack.

Can make a suggestion? If you're still learning your technique, use just one brand of blade, and only that brand, for a few weeks. After you get to the point where you're not getting any more razor burn or nicks on a regular basis, then consider trying new blade brands. When you're in the learning phase, keeping the variables to a minimum will help you gain mastery.
-- Chet

+1

Hi from Miami. 1+ on the suggestion to stick with one blade (which seems to be at least decent for you), as well as the same prep and AS items, until your technique gets up to speed. The Lords should be a good starting blade; although opinion on these things is quite diverse, Red IPs and Derby's might eventually be other mild/smooth blades to explore when you decide to branch out. I started DE shaving 4 months ago. I started with Derby's, which remain part of my rotation, together with (much sharper) Gillette Yellows and Astra SPs. Best of luck!

It's not unusual for people who start out to get some razor burn, and that's because there are more variables and an elevated level of technique to learn. You're building muscle-memory, and it just takes time to learn the angles that work best for your razor. Razor burn usually means that the blade is doing more scraping than cutting -- a sign that your angle is too steep. It can, however, also be due to having the right angle and pressing the razor onto your face. Just to further illustrate the complexity, you could be using the right angle, with minimal pressure, and your lather could be too thin (wet) or too dry to create the slick surface over which the blade will slide. Even through all this, people will still blame the blade for a bad shave.

My advice to anyone new to DE and wet shaving is this:
- visit the newbie forum and read up. The advice there is fresh and helpful. Don't be bashful. Ask questions!
- watch the mantic videos
- Don't worry about making lather with a brush to start with. Buy a can of barbasol or proraso (no gel!) and use that while you learn the angles of a DE.
- Select one razor to learn with. Use that one for a month, at least.
- Select one blade to start with. Use that blade for at least a month.
- When you shave, keep the angle shallow -- just shallow enough to cut whiskers. If the guard bar is pushing lather off your face as you shave (like a squeegee, you're WAY too steep).
- Use confident, short strokes, with very little pressure.
- once you're getting decent shaves, try making a bowl of lather every night (use a cheap cream like proraso), learn the point at which lather goes from "just right" to "too wet". Wash all of these bowls of lather down the drain. Do this for ten days, or until you can reliably create lather that is "just right" without thinking about it, or having to guess how much product to use. Then, switch out the canned cream with your own.
- shave like that, with the same razor and the same blade, using your own lather, for a month. Get comfortable with it.
... then, change your blade and see if you get better, easier results.

I know it's a lot, but if you change one thing at a time (the order may not be that important), you'll be able to recognize what's working and what isn't, and you'll be making confident changes instead of guessing changes.

Hope it helps,
-- Chet

Thanks for the tips Chet! I do think I have an issue with angles of the blade and know that I'm probably pushing more instead of letting the razor do the work. I always find myself gripping the razor too high after changing positions. Too many years of habits to try to break!

Top Bottom