Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DOVO Buying Concerns

Images

I learned the hardway about Dovo not standing behind what they make and a crappy dishonest vendor to boot. Like it has been said and I cannot say this enough when your going to spend decent coin on a straight make sure you use a good vendor known for putting the customer first and not sticking them with a bad razor if you unfortunate to be one of the unlucky ones. . If you look., it's not hard to find complaints but that goes for a lot of things. There are lots of people happy with their straights too. I have talked with several vendors about my bad experience and nit wanting to ever buy a new straight razor after that occurred. I have always been told they'd do whatever it took to earn my trust and business including taking a razor back if I wasnt happy. I haven't needed to use promise that but it's nice to know that vendors will put it in writing and go above and beyond if you ask/need em to.
    Mark D. Wanted large W&B's for restores

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eric62 View Post
    I have £150 ( $237 ) to buy one that must be Shave ready. Have things changed in Q.C in the in 5 years since that review & so could I now buy Dovo Razor without any worries about the Q.C.
    Really, Eric, it comes down to what you can afford, what looks good to you and how it handles. The vendors that we all speak about have a reputation that we have personal experience with. I'd vote for SRD's as a favorite but really Dovo is sold by almost everyone. You can even find them on Amazon. However I'd skip them and go for a vendor that actually knows something about str8's. For 150 you have a lot of wiggle room to be choosy. Pick the details, shop around, buy the one that you love. Then post us a pic. We do love our eye candy... Happy shaving.
    ~Chris

Thanks for all the info will buy one when I get back from Langkawi & KL in Malaysia without having to worry about the QC have found this company who look pretty good. If any of you guys can tell me of any other vendors that would be great. Thanks Eric PS going to have a look in Time Square Mall in KL to see what they might have in Smelly s, Balms , Shaving gear etc http://www.dovorazors.com/page32.html
    " Well here is a other fine mess you have gotten me into"

Images

I have several Dovos and have not had any real quality issues - just don't expect them to arrive shave ready from the manufacturer.
    Chuck R.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jdto View Post
    Do it!

They are purdy
    Have the same razor, they are very purdy (and give a great shave).
    Till - Steward in the Brown Leaf
    Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent.

I have a new Dovo, purchased from Jim at Vintage Blades, and I couldn't be happier with it. While quality is something you should be concerned about when shelling out big bucks for a straight, everybody's a critic. What one person sees as superb, another might view as garbage. Also, I wouldn't recommend spending close to $600 for your first straight. There's nothing wrong with, say, a Best Quality. God forbid you drop a stack only to find you hate straights!

Have been Shaving with a Dovo Shavette also a Feather RG to get used to this straight shaving lark & I have got to say I am loving it thats why I am looking forward to doing it for real when I get back. also looking forward going back to the hotel ( The Royal Chulan) in Malaysia & having the Pros doing it ( Barbers I mean ) ;-)
    " Well here is a other fine mess you have gotten me into"

I recieved a Brand new Dovo for christmas and can say it is my best shaver, but I have one issue, patina. I take excellent care of the blade( I really mean it). I wipe it of after every pass and I make sure I store it out of the humidity and I coat it with oil and I still have some spots. I have removed some with a q-tip and turtle wax chrome polish but it still has some marks.
    -Joe For the Love of Straights, Scotch, Brews and the roar of the American Car!

Quote Originally Posted by jcborr00 View Post
    I recieved a Brand new Dovo for christmas and can say it is my best shaver, but I have one issue, patina. I take excellent care of the blade( I really mean it). I wipe it of after every pass and I make sure I store it out of the humidity and I coat it with oil and I still have some spots. I have removed some with a q-tip and turtle wax chrome polish but it still has some marks.
    I've already posted that I like Dovos and have several. However, your comment is interesting. I have Dovos that were from the 90s and they have kept their shine and look NOS. I have an almost new shoulderless Dovo that does what yours does... that is, unless I'm meticulous about cleaning it and oiling it, it gets spots. I also have a brand new Dovo that is just fine. Just curiously, what kind of Dovo do you have?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12