What's new

Looking for the best value in a double edge razor...

I'm here because I saw a deal to an Edwin Jagger De89lbl double edge razor on SlickDeals for $23 @Amazon. This razor is now out of stock, but I'm wondering if there is anything else that compares, in terms of value.

This is actually for my uncle, but if the deal is good enough, I might just get one for myself too.

He's looking to spend $40 or less, but I think he can stretch it to $50 if it's got magical powers.

His current razor has a very "knurly" grip, unlike the way that Edwin Jagger looks... But I don't think that's incredibly important to him.

What are some common recommendations for this price range?? The Amazon reviews for that De89lbl were awfully favorable and convincing. Also, what is the difference between the De89lbl and De89bl?? I see the latter *is* in stock.

Thanks.

I have been using a Lord L6 for a year, almost, as my razor of choice. I have a couple of merkurs and they all provide a high quality shave, I just have a value thing when it comes to shaving. L6 - Wilkinsons Sword Brush - Palmolive Stck - £11.50 the lot !

If not the Lord, go for the Merkur 1904 model - qualitry and cheap. YMMV

The EJ de86 is now going for about $35 on amazon. And honestly it's still one of the best bang for buck as far as ease of use, aesthetics, quality, and purpose. People that are more experienced still will use this razor. Don't over look this razor just because the price is no longer at $23. Just imagine it like this, it was a brand new corvette that was on sale for a limited time for $20K

Is there a benefit to one-, two-, and/or three-piece designs???

My uncle currently has a one-piece, and I think he might be happiest with that. Most of the ones that have been suggested are three-piece. I'd probably just by that Lord L6 right away, but there's some reviews that say the weak threads essentially turn it into a disposable razor. I want this thing to last. But maybe three-piece designs could possibly be more durable over the years than a one-piece??

Another vote for Lord L6. One of the most underrated/under appreciated DE razor IMHO. It has been keeping me away from my slim adjustable. :)

As an uncle, my strong preference would be to receive an excellent quality vintage razor, manufactured in a year that has some sort of meaning to me (e.g. birth year, college graduation year, birth of first child, etc....). These are still easy to find here and on various auction/sale sites.

A gift like that shows me that my niece/nephew put some thought into it and did a bit of scouring to find the right one. Anyone really can just go onto Amazon and buy the latest highly-rated hot deal. And, while it's the thought that counts, I think a vintage razor of some memorial significance requires more thought and thus counts more than "five stars and <$40 on Amazon."

- Mark

Another vote for the Merkur 34C. Edwin Jagger D89 a close second.

Both of these razors are good quality, should last for years and are not outrageously priced at around the $35-40 mark. An old saying; "quality remains long after the price is forgotten".

B&B reviews are very positive.

I totally agree with the point about buying someone a birth year razor etc but based on the OP I made an assumption that price was a factor ? Birth year razors may be available but they are, when I look to pull the trigger, three or four times the cost of a Merkur etc.

Re the L6 Longevity - mine is nearly a year in (it arrived in the post on Royal Wedding Day) and its great. Its clearly made at a price point lower than Merkurs etc - to me thats part of the appeal - but performs superbly.

To be honest though, and on reflection, if I was buying a gift for someone I would go higher pricepoint, get em hooked then let them discover their own way through the world. They wont appreciate the worth when they open the box, but if they do get hooked, and start googling and come on here, they will realise their razor is good bad. So maybe go for a big name after all and let them build their collection around it ?

I'm seconding the Tech suggestion. I've tried lots of razors, old and new, but keep coming back to the Tech. Have now got several (hey, the Techpocalypse happened years ago, so hoarding is allowed). The most consistently smooth, comfortable razor I've used. No doubt MMDV (my mileage does vary), but you asked...

what is the difference between the De89lbl and De89bl?? I see the latter *is* in stock.

Thanks.

i believe, the lbl is the lined handle and the bl may just be the non-lined handle...

great finish on these razors, but as far as magical powers, some people complain about the potential for mildness. if he already has something with a knurl, then the 89 might be too mild.. grab a 2010 muhle r41 open comb or even 2011 version the finish is really nice too..

Lost of good recommendations. My personal preference would lean to the Jagger DE89 just because of the build quality. It is one you can and will keep for decades.

I totally agree with the point about buying someone a birth year razor etc but based on the OP I made an assumption that price was a factor ? Birth year razors may be available but they are, when I look to pull the trigger, three or four times the cost of a Merkur etc.

I guess it depends on the year and the model. I had no trouble whatsoever in finding the two birth razors that I own; a `66 Super Speed and a `66 Slim Adjustable. Both were under the $40 target that the OP stated, and both came off of eBay. Had I tried to find one off of B/S/T, they probably would have cost me even less. Both were very much in gift condition.

- Mark

Top Bottom