What's new

Carry-on Air Travel. A DE solution??

Anyone have a solution or suggestion for shaving when travelling by air with just carry-on luggage??

Not for being able to shave ON the plane or anything, but what do you do in terms of taking a razor in a carry-on bag in particular?? A DE razor is not exactly Airport security-friendly!!

I hate going back to an electric shaver after proper wet-shaving for a while...

Ideas and experience appreciated!

Michael

Bic Metal disposables, Trac II or Atra, Sensor (Excel), Mach 3 or the like. As long as your technique is good, you will be able to survive one of the razors listed here for a few days!

If you do take a DE through security, be prepared for the security people to closely examine the razor. I have flown a couple times with a super speed (no blades) and I found it helpful to place the razor in a bin with the razor opened. (For 2 or 3 piece razors simply take them part for screening.)

Eventually, I just bought a cheap Bump-fighter handle and some Trac II cartridges to avoid the hassle. It gives surprisingly good shaves and since the head does not pivot, I don't develop any bad habits while traveling and can return to my DEs /SEs with no problems when I get home.

Even if you can't take a DE, there's no need not to keep using a quality soap/cream with a cartridge or disposable razor.

While I agree, this is difficult to do. Quality soaps/creams are difficult enough to find, let alone find in travel sizes (which would only further the costs as well). My only suggestion for this is to buy the small reusable plastic travel containers that are under the TSA's fluid ounce rule. Filling these with shaving cream can be difficult though. For all the hassle, it's probably worth it to just buy a cartridge razor and travel size bottle of Barbasol. If you travel often however, you may be SOL. Hard soaps though would probably pass the TSA check though.

Get a disposable, carry brush and soap.

The whole "mail the blades ahead" is a good idea for a rare trip, but not really practical when you have two or three different hotels a week to go to.

+1 on the options already mentioned. I bring a disposable or my trusty Sensor, a Palmolive shave stick and a boar brush. It works out great. I travel too much to fool around with mailing blades or searching out and buying expensive junk blades locally.

i have taken a DE razor/blades thru Singapore before. i was very surprised they didnt pull me aside to give me a second screening.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Check a bag. If it's work related, you get reimbursed for the expense, and it gives you a chance to have a change of clothes / shoes etc.
Don't be one of those guys trying to stuff a steamer trunk into the overhead bin.

i have taken a DE razor/blades thru Singapore before. i was very surprised they didnt pull me aside to give me a second screening.

Bad move.
Accidents happen, but this is positively not the thing to do.
Aside from the potential for delays, fines etc for yourself, think of the inconvenience this places on everyone in line behind you if you get caught.

No razor blades in carry-on.

Last edited:
Equally, you can mapquest the location of the nearest chain-pharmacy location, in relation to where you are staying. I've been on trips where the hotel (while very nice) was 5 miles from anything else; others, where CVS was across the street.

I carried a TracII for years. A fine shave, and if we're honest, "Classic Shaving" is the guys' version of bubble bath & lufa, so a classic razor is not a necessity, but...:closedeye

The cockpits are reinforced and locked. Its highly doubtful an individual will gain entrance to the cockpit utilizing a de blade to chop the door down.
As for holding hostages with a de blade, there are a million other benign looking objects that can do far more damage. So what's the point of the ban.
Allow passengers to check a small personal hygiene bag. A small one that will be opened and searched, which can contain only select approved items. Than store them near the doors and return them as passengers exit the plane.
Its simple, cost effective, and can help alleviate the discomfort of air travel.
Its ridiculous that passengers are treated like criminals and are forced to shave with electrics or disposals.
50 years ago, if they tried this nonsense the airports would be empty, with the possible exception of international flights.

The last time I used a cart was when I was traveling. It sucked so I decided to start checking my bag just so I could have DE blades.

I travel with a Wee Scot brush and small plastic pill box with a screw on top filled with Proraso cream (Holds enough for 4 or 5 shaves). I have also traveled with a shave stick which is an excellent travel solution. Even if you opt out of checkin your bag to ensure DE blade availability, there's no reason not to have quality products with you while you travel.

As others have said... there really is only two options if you want to bring DE blades... Mail them to your destination or check a bag.. I flew United and Frontier a few weeks ago and it was $25 to check a bag...

As others have said... there really is only two options if you want to bring DE blades... Mail them to your destination or check a bag.. I flew United and Frontier a few weeks ago and it was $25 to check a bag...

Or buy them when you get there.

Top Bottom