What's new

Low Angle Shaving, Illustrated

The method works for my stubborn thick beard hair. The mustache area has to be done from the sides. The chin and jawline need different angles from using the MMOC at a stronger angle or a double edge razor. Play with the direction you approach the stubborn areas, chin and jawline, you should find a direction that works.

The other thing might be as you go over the curve, you need to keep the cutting angle correct. If you are not getting any cutting, you either are to far off on the angle or to weak a pressure.

My problem using the Gem, in this way, is the first use of a new Gem Blue Star blade. I need to back off the pressure a bit or I get skin weeping every where. On the Gem Personna Stainless Steel (all uses) or the Gem Blue Star (second use forward), I can use the MMOC like he shows.

Last edited:
On a scale of 1-10, I would rate no pressure to mean 1,
this approach would be a departure from conventional wisdom, a 3 or 4 ..as you are actually depressing the skin with the head, but not bearing down.
I imagine it as creating a wave, where the head is lifting up the hair ahead of it and the blade cutting.
It mimics what a twin edge would do.
The R41 has been my go to razor for 99% of my shaves in the last two years as nothing else came close.
this approach gives me the same shave with a tech and a blade with sixty odd shaves on it.

I also slow down the stroke, I used to have short quick strokes but with this approach I do a slow deliberate stroke which also allows me to adjust the angle when going over the curves.

Forgot to add, that with this approach I do the opposite of skin stretching, for the chin area, I tilt my head down which results in bunched up skin.
you want flesh or slightly loose skin that the head can push on.

Last edited:
The R41 has been my go to razor for 99% of my shaves in the last two years as nothing else came close.
this approach gives me the same shave with a tech and a blade with sixty odd shaves on it.

I was going to order a R41. After your comment, I am putting the R41 purchase on hold. First I will shift the use of my double edge razor and see the results. Hard to get closer than the MMOC using this method, but open to trying.

Unfortunately, the links to the pictures are broken. This thread has a good description of low angle shaving favored by many Excalibur Knights.

All this specific angle theory goes to the moon if you shave your head, as you cannot see anything 50% time and just go by feeling. I tend to "ride the cap" in the back..... and on very few razors that skip, I will change to the bar..... Is it optimal, who knows....but if you shave your head....it's a different animal..... Face shaving is a piece of cake, do anything you tolerate, experiment....go with what works for you....your hair, your face, your razors and blades....and soap. It should be fun....otherwise something is wrong.

All this specific angle theory goes to the moon if you shave your head, as you cannot see anything 50% time and just go by feeling. I tend to "ride the cap" in the back..... and on very few razors that skip, I will change to the bar..... Is it optimal, who knows....but if you shave your head....it's a different animal..... Face shaving is a piece of cake, do anything you tolerate, experiment....go with what works for you....your hair, your face, your razors and blades....and soap. It should be fun....otherwise something is wrong.

I don't head shave, so I don't have any opinions. I can see where it would be difficult.

Like some of the other folks on this thread, I have discovered low angle shaving while currently using a SE, a Schick injector razor. I was amazed at the closer shave, no nicks and longer blade life. I keep the pressure on the razor light even though the Schick is much lighter than most DE razors. My next step will be to experiment with a low blade angle with some of my vintage DE razors, probably starting with a 1960s Super Speed. Wet shaving is not just shaving, it's an adventure.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm not sure what he is referring to low angle, we usually call it shallow or steep.
1605572864593.png
Gem procedure (2).jpg

I think he was referring to shallow razor angle?

Top Bottom