What's new

First impressions of Lord S625 "Smart" razor

Recently I received a Lord Smart/S625 razor as a PIF from Talibeard.

I wanted to report my first impressions of the razor after 3 shaves with it. I used my go-to blade, a Shark SC, to minimize variables. Below are my comments. NOTE: This reflects my thoughts and opinions only, as always, YMMV.

Preface: I am really enjoying this razor! I have a preference for vintage razors, so I likely would have never tried this razor had I not recieved this PIF. The only other modern razor I have tried is the Merkur HD. The Smart razor is very forgiving while still very effective at mowing down my whiskers.

General statements:
1. The head looks very similar to the Merkur closed comb head, but the razor is somewhat milder (The weight difference between this and the all-metal Merkurs could be a factor here).
2. The handle is longer than any of my other razors, but I got used to it quickly.
3. Because of the plastic handle, the razor has the weight biased toward the head which I quickly began to like.

Cons:
1. The appearance of the metal on the head is not as polished and beautiful as more expensive razors (expected).
2. I would not consider this a "good looking" razor.

Pros:
1. This razor is cheap. I see it on Amazon for $6 USD + shipping (although it doesn't get a lot of lovely reviews on Amazon).
2. It would make an excellent razor for a newbie looking to try a new DE, but not spend a lot.
3. The performance of this razor makes up for the lack of beauty in my opinion.
4. The blade angle seems very intuitive to me and gives favorable audible feedback.

Conclusion: Although this razor is not a beauty, it is a very effective razor that is forgiving and easy to use. It could be useful in the hands of both newbies and veterans alike. If you are at all curious about this razor, I recommend giving this one a try (or even its all-metal, "premium" cousin, the Lord L6). I will be keeping this one in the rotation for the forseeable future.

I hope this information is useful to you and thanks again Talibeard for the opportunity to try this razor! :thumbup: For your viewing pleasure, below is a photo of it in my humble collection (far right).

Attachments

• $IMG_0139[1].jpg
    $IMG_0139[1].jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
You made some piece of work here Jason! I see you enjoy your SE's as well!

I am glad you like the Smarts shaving qualities because that is what this one is about imo; A very cheap reasonably well build razor that offers a more than decent shave. Your findings are very close to my own and what I like most in this razor is that it still is possible to buy a new one that actually shaves good for very little money. Certainly not everybodies first choice but with the rising prices of once very cheap vintage Gillettes I think there is a market for these (and the L6 of course) that is growing.

Thanks for taking the time for this solid review!!

Nice review Jason!
I share your opinions..except I don't think it's ugly..It's not a crowd pleaser for sure..If only it were shinier...hahahaha
BUT
WHAT A SHAVE. The construction is simple. The blade fits securely and hits the proper angle and attitude every time..

I think on how much I spend on all the stuff here.hahahaha..The Lord razer shaves as well as any of them.
I have to get my camera out and do some pics of my shave with the Lord.
Best Regards
Tom

Question to Lord owners. Do "Smart" and "L6" share same head?
I own Smart and L5. Will replacing plastic handle with aluminium from L5 make L6? Or am I wrong?

Great review. Another testament that more expensive doesn't automatically equate to better performance. Thank-you for sharing your observations.

Top Bottom